ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB Predicted Starting 5

MTOleBlue

All American
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2015
Who do you think will be the starters to start the year for the Raiders? I'm going with:

F Alex Johnson
C Jadona Davis
G Jess Louro
G A'Queen Hayes
G Kyla Allison

I have to say... after seeing a bit of the first practices... we have some super talented players on this team. I think the starters may not matter as much with the real depth that we finally have. I expect there to be a strong rotation of all the players on the bench this year. I don't think anyone on the team isn't good enough to play some serious minutes and get in the rotation early and often. It's so exciting to see that we have such a high quality team shaping up finally after a few shaky years. We may be close to getting back to the Top 25.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Hopefully we will have some depth this year. For whatever reason, Insell seems to like 6-7 players to play and that's it.
Later last year he stopped that nonsense, it seemed like, so I’m hoping he has more of a rotation going early this year.

Who do you think will be the starters to start the year for the Raiders? I'm going with:

F Alex Johnson
C Jadona Davis
G Jess Louro
G A'Queen Hayes
G Kyla Allison

I have to say... after seeing a bit of the first practices... we have some super talented players on this team. I think the starters may not matter as much with the real depth that we finally have. I expect there to be a strong rotation of all the players on the bench this year. I don't think anyone on the team isn't good enough to play some serious minutes and get in the rotation early and often. It's so exciting to see that we have such a high quality team shaping up finally after a few shaky years. We may be close to getting back to the Top 25.

I agree that we have incredible depth. This also may be the best freshman class since Brandi Brown, Chelsea Lymon, and Jackie Pickel came on board. Kiki Stewart was also part of that class, but quit and came back 4 years later. I will take a shot at the starting five, but with the depth we have it will be tough.

Starters

1 - Taylor Sutton: She is not as polished as Chelsea was at the first, but she is solid. In practice Ty Petty would go against her most of the time to give some added defense.
2 - Jess Louro: She is still the best 3 point shooter, but others can come in with quicker defense and not drop off much on offense.
3 - A'Queen Hayes: She looks real good and could easily play the point if Sutton gets in foul trouble or is over her head with some CUSA top defenders.
4 - Kyla Allison: She seemed a little tentative in practice. She still has trouble with some team defense
5. - Alex Johnson: In practice she was facing the basket a lot more, so she may try to transition to 4 this year.
(I really think there could be 4 other girls start at times)

Seniors:
Katie Colier - With the wealth of point guards, she will probably be more of a shooting guard this year.

LaSonja Edwards: can really rebound, play individual defense and shoot inside, but still doesn't have the team defense skills down. I thought she had enough skills to start last year, but Insell demands team defense skills as a base requirement.

Juniors:

Charity Savage: She has very good skills and has good slashing skills, but defense is what keeps her from playing a lot more

Jordon Majors: has a world of talent, but has been hurt a lot. Hopefully she can stay healthy this year.

Sophmores:
Jadona Davis - is tall, has good skills and will play a lot more this year, but I don't think she will start. She has picked up a lot since last year.

Anna Jones - We know she is very good shooter and 6'1", but she didn't do a lot in the practice I was at.

Rashika White - She is 6'4" and has good skills inside. Her playing time will be dependent on when she picks up enough team defense. (transfer)

Freshman:
Mykia DowDell: could break into the lineup at any time. She is transitioning from post in high school to a 3 in college, but still is showing a lot of skills inside. She looks as strong and stout as anyone I have seen at MTSU in a long time.

Amanda and Alexis Whittington: They have solid skills and Amanda/Alexis can really shoot the three. I can't remember which. Their defense will determine their playing time.

From my experience in watching Insell's teams, he does play a lot of girls the first half of the season and then when he gets into conference play he locks it down to 6,7,8 top players. He has such depth this year, he will have to maybe go 8 and 9 players this year, especially with the freshman depth. There are a lot of girls that can get playing time, but learning team defense will determine how much.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Thanks for the great assessment. From what I’ve seen (and heard) of the practices... we look like we will be quite good this year. Probably the best in several years, maybe close to or in Top 25 quality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT