ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Candidates

Since moral integrity is typically written into a coach’s contract, I don’t think Rick would be eligible.

Pitino May be a great coach, but he doesn’t have an ounce of integrity.

McPhee will be the one to sign off on Kermit's replacement not Massaro.

Am I missing something here? Patino? An ongoing FBI investigation. There's bold, then there's foolish. With an FBI investigation ongoing, it would be incredibly unwise to bring him in.

I'm also one who likes people getting 2nd chances i.e. Kermit. There is a huge difference though between 5+ years since the controversial situation and only a few months with ongoing FBI investigation.

LOL - Yeah, it does feel kinda weird to bring that name up without totally clearing his name. That being said, he is adamant about him not knowing anything in the articles I'm reading.

Am I missing something here? Patino? An ongoing FBI investigation. There's bold, then there's foolish. With an FBI investigation ongoing, it would be incredibly unwise to bring him in.

I'm also one who likes people getting 2nd chances i.e. Kermit. There is a huge difference though between 5+ years since the controversial situation and only a few months with ongoing FBI investigation.

I can about live with whoever we hire as long as that coach has never been on the staff of either Pearl or Pitino. Absolutely the two sleaziest coaches in the NCAA. Google Pitino & Karen Sypher, yep, that’s exactly who we want as the face of our program. If they ever decide to do a remake of Hogan’s Heroes they should cast Pitino as Sargent Schultz. “I know nothing”. Incredible how a guy in charge of 15 players & a small handful of coaches NEVER knew what was going on inside his program.
Big shoutout to RaiderDawg 78 regarding your comments about Mark Fox. Have lived in the North ATL ‘burbs since ‘91, so follow UGA from a distance. The second coming of Coach Stock was spot on. Credit to Fox he lasted 9 years, mainly due to being a high character guy. But no buzz around the program. 7 of the 9 years he was at UGA the SEC was basically KY, FLA, & everyone else. And he still couldn’t make them relevant. And at a time GA Tech had lost their way. In fact, when the UGA Women’s Gymnastics team was routinely competing for national championships, they were outdrawing men’s basketball by 3-4000 per night. He would be an ok hire but hopefully The Frog has elevated our brand to the point where there is a lot of incredibly talented people interested in the job.
If it’s not Win it’s likely to be someone we didn’t even know about.

Yeah well. Google MTSU and “seven wood”. Anyhow I do like the possibility of Win taking the reigns. Does Win have what it takes to keep it going and improving?

I can about live with whoever we hire as long as that coach has never been on the staff of either Pearl or Pitino. Absolutely the two sleaziest coaches in the NCAA. Google Pitino & Karen Sypher, yep, that’s exactly who we want as the face of our program. If they ever decide to do a remake of Hogan’s Heroes they should cast Pitino as Sargent Schultz. “I know nothing”. Incredible how a guy in charge of 15 players & a small handful of coaches NEVER knew what was going on inside his program.
Big shoutout to RaiderDawg 78 regarding your comments about Mark Fox. Have lived in the North ATL ‘burbs since ‘91, so follow UGA from a distance. The second coming of Coach Stock was spot on. Credit to Fox he lasted 9 years, mainly due to being a high character guy. But no buzz around the program. 7 of the 9 years he was at UGA the SEC was basically KY, FLA, & everyone else. And he still couldn’t make them relevant. And at a time GA Tech had lost their way. In fact, when the UGA Women’s Gymnastics team was routinely competing for national championships, they were outdrawing men’s basketball by 3-4000 per night. He would be an ok hire but hopefully The Frog has elevated our brand to the point where there is a lot of incredibly talented people interested in the job.
If it’s not Win it’s likely to be someone we didn’t even know about.

LOL - Yeah, it does feel kinda weird to bring that name up without totally clearing his name. That being said, he is adamant about him not knowing anything in the articles I'm reading.

Pitino reminds me of Lance Armstrong.

I get if he didn’t know about a rogue assistant coach paying for players, but there had to be enough on him to justify firing with cause. And the whole hooker for recruits thing. And the whole affair in the restaurant bathroom thing.

As HC, your kind of responsible for the program & he takes zero ownership.

To me Win Case would not be all that exciting. Would recruits stay IF he was hired? Maybe? Maybe not? What kind of staff could he assemble, who does he know?

I have said it before Fox does not excite me either.

To me Win Case would not be all that exciting. Would recruits stay IF he was hired? Maybe? Maybe not? What kind of staff could he assemble, who does he know?
Kermit has made it clear that he would like one of his assistants to take over the program, and he will do everything he can to help MT in the years to come.

That said, I believe that program will continue to improve if Case gets the job.

On a side note, at the end of the Louisville game, the color guy mentioned Greg Grensing as a replacement.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Saw a pic on twitter of Kermit on a plane heading to Ole Miss. Hamilton was sitting next to him, but Case was not in the pic. May have been on the plane, but could not see him (looked to be a small plane) OR maybe Case was not traveling with them?

Reactions: SpaceRaider
A new Ole Miss fan site article says CKD plans on bringing 2 of 3 assistants with him, but says it has not confirmed which 2 yet.

Have never heard that much about Greg’s recruiting prowess. Seem to always hear about Win & Ronnie. Greg’s wife & kids sit right in front of us, she could not be any sweeter. Guess which 2 go may depend upon how Win’s candidacy here goes. He was a HC multiple years, always thought it was kinda strange he was satisfied being an assistant 10 years. Usually once someone has been the one calling the shots, it’s difficult to go back to making suggestions, and not decisions. Candidly some coaches not comfortable dealing with the media, alums, fans, & administrators. Here the media spotlight is unfortunately almost negligible so that should not cause anyone any consternation.

I know from someone who has been at several practices weekly for a few years, it seems that the only ones coaching on the floor during practice are Kermit and Greg. I am sure Win does too but this person says he is typically pretty quiet during practices.

Case and Hamilton very much involved in the recruiting and scouting aspects of the job.

Grensing is known as a player developer, hence his on the floor presence with Davis. He also got a good rep with players because his demeanor was very different from KD's. Let's face it, Kermit is NOT an easy guy to play for. Grensing provided a good counter balance, but I had heard their relationship wasn't the best.

I know from someone who has been at several practices weekly for a few years, it seems that the only ones coaching on the floor during practice are Kermit and Greg. I am sure Win does too but this person says he is typically pretty quiet during practices.

So Win is HC, Grensing remains as an assistant. KD isn't taking Grensing to Oxford, so works out perfectly.

Win is officially going to Ole Miss. Kermit announced at his intro tonight that Case and Hamilton will join him and that Grensing is pursuing the job at MT.

MightyRaider, a pretty short-sighted coment imo. We have never had a program this strong. Uncharted territory with the best recruiting class under Davis. You heard earlier that Grensing and Davis were the most active in coaching practices. I can be on board with Grensing. One of our 2 best chances to hold on to recruits. Also unlikely Davis would try and steal them if it is Grensing.

Reactions: MTsumner92
Just throwing it out there, Ryan Odom from UMBC May be available.

There were talks he may be going to ECU prior to beating UVA. Even if they triple his current salary, we beat that just by offering CKD’s old salary.

MightyRaider, a pretty short-sighted coment imo. We have never had a program this strong. Uncharted territory with the best recruiting class under Davis. You heard earlier that Grensing and Davis were the most active in coaching practices. I can be on board with Grensing. One of our 2 best chances to hold on to recruits. Also unlikely Davis would try and steal them if it is Grensing.
Curious as to why no one has tried to hire him? Is his name popping up for other jobs? Can he recruit on rick stansbury level going forward?

Certainly agree with MTLynn about our being at the point of not hiring a career assistant who does not have any prior HC experience. I am certainly not advocating for this guy but what he has done at IUPUI & GA State merits attention. He was at IUPUI for 11-12 years and took them from the NAIA to D-1. Ron Hunter has been at GA St for 7 years, the last 5 in the ‘Belt. Has won 20+ games 4 of the last 5 years. His ‘Belt conference record is 65-29. Their gym is a glorified high school gym where they average just under 1600.
As Kermit was 2-0 against his predecessor at Ole Miss, so too is Hunter 2-0 against Kermit. Like Kermit he relies on a mix of freshman, transfers, etc. GA State is a concrete & asphalt commuter school. I can’t imagine how hard it must be to recruit there. He gets as much recognition for winning as he does community service/philanthropic efforts. I’m intrigued to think what he might be able to do with our facilities/campus/community. He turns 54 next month so likely has one move left in him. Would not be a sexy hire, and I have not seen any of his media interviews, just in print. 2 NCAA appearances the past 5 years.

Reactions: MTsumner92
Ron Hunter would be a great hire. But it's close to a lateral move. I'm not sure Ga. State would let him get away

Jeremy Shulman - Eastern Florida - JUCO

Highly successful at both the AAU and Juco level, Shulman built the program from scratch at EFSU. With MTSU, ETSU, Austin Peay, Tennessee State, all on the rise, the Nashville native might have an opportunity to jump up. Especially considering he has been feeding a large number of those programs (and many others across the DI level) with quality talent for their rosters the last eight years.

If we are going to be a big brand, we can't be taking coaches from JUCO's or AAU basketball. They either need to be P6 head coaches who are without a job, P6 assistant coaches, or young up and coming lower mid major to upper mid major head coaches. They can have all the fire in the world, but if they have little to no connections, we will find ourselves in the cellar shortly.

Reactions: Hop45
I think Grensing would be a good hire. He's connected, players like him. He would need to bring on a wow recruiter and we can continue this rise.

I'm ok with Grensing, but feel like we need to make a bigger splash with this hire. Nee to keep the momentum that we have built. I feel Grensing would be our safety net if unable to find that splash hire.

I'm ok with Grensing, but feel like we need to make a bigger splash with this hire. Nee to keep the momentum that we have built. I feel Grensing would be our safety net if unable to find that splash hire.

I think it impossible for us to make a splash hire. A splash to me is someone like Grant from CoC, or possible Forbes. I just don't see this job as really that much better or worth the risk for these guys really on the rise.

I think it impossible for us to make a splash hire. A splash to me is someone like Grant from CoC, or possible Forbes. I just don't see this job as really that much better or worth the risk for these guys really on the rise.
Grensing is going to probably be the best "fit" for us if we want to keep up Kermit's success. I see some comments about hiring from within being a "Little Middle" thought process... Do you folks really think it matters that much to hire from within after an upward move or retirement? Should we call Duke the same thing, "Puny Duke", for having their assistant Capel hang around in order to be the replacement for Coach K? Just because a coach is not the main man doesn't mean he isn't going to be a better fit and better coach in general than other coaches around the country.

Reactions: MTTim
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT