ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Candidates

MightyRaider

Blue Raider
Dec 10, 2015
A few names that come to mind for our opening:

Jeff Capel, Earl Grant, Mark Fox, Kenny Payne, John Brannen

Massaro might go cheap and promote an assistant or hire someone he crossed paths with while at South Carolina.

tom crean, he is still getting that Indiana money. at 750k we will be able to get some great coaches. don't do what baseball did , time to keep playing in the big boy sandbox. all the mentioned coaches are good coaches as well. i like Anthony Grant.

I'm all for Earl Grant. I am terrified that Massaro could royally F this hiring up. His track record of hires is pretty bad here. If he does, he will set this program back so far and really negate all the momentum that we've been building the last 6 years or so.

Reactions: Iback????
I hope that we don't go cheap. I am all for getting Rick Pitino in here.

I wouldn't hire that cancer if he paid us to hire him. I'm not normally in the morality police corner, but MT's coach should have an ounce of character, not this.

The good news is CM would never hire someone he does not like or think is a good person.

I have heard other AD's say they keep a list of coaches that they will contact if there coach leaves. I am hoping CM has a good list that the average fan might not even consider.

Forbes has a $500K buyout at ETSU. MTSU doesnt have the coin to cover that and his salary of maybe $700K. We have to pay Stock...remember !

I agree. No to Dana Ford, Tubby Smith, Scott Padgett, Kevin Ollie, or Bob Knight. Just no to all of those. Penny is going to Memphis if he goes anywhere. Steve Forbes signed a contract extension at ETSU 3 weeks ago - he is going nowhere. Earl Grant is from Charleston. Nick McDevitt is from North Carolina & played ball there.

Joe Dooley appears to be looking to make a move. He may be in talks to go back to ECU. I would think MT is much more attractive than ECU in its current state.

Im not crazy about any of the 5 on the article list either. Maybe Travis Steele or Otzelberger? Honestly I want someone who has already been a HC.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I'm not crazy about Dooley either. They say he is a great recruiter, but a 10 year old could recruit well at FGCU. Have you seen their campus? It's right on the beach.

Furthermore, FGCU severely underachieved this year.

TRAVIS STEELE
Current Position: Assistant Coach - Xavier

I'll keep including Travis Steele's name on every mid-major candidate list until he gets a job.

One of the most respected assistants in the country, Steele is in his ninth season on Chris Mack's staff and has been linked to openings recently, including Wright State and Northern Kentucky in 2016. A superb talent identifier and evaluator, Steele's stock will only rise.

You already know it's gonna be the safest and most mediocre hire in history. Massaro doesn't have a bold bone in his body
Safe would be Win Case, if he wants the job. I want a coach who has won previously... Grant would be good

30 games over .500 at UGA is a feat if you ask me lol..

But let's look at his track record before. He went 123-43 at Nevada (66-16 in conference play) and finished first in the WAC 4 out of 5 years.

He's known as a stand-up guy who will continue to do things the right way. I think it's a slam dunk.

I've heard Fox and the UGA administration didn't see eye-to-eye on a lot of things. If you have the administration holding you down, you are doomed to fail.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Furthermore, FGCU severely underachieved this year.

They won their conference regular season by 2 full games and won 23 games. I will take that in a down year.

But I am not really excited about Dooley or honestly any of the names so far. Being down here in Georgia, Mark Fox is a blah hire.

I really dont want a coach who failed at his previous position. I want someone with previous head coaching experience that was successful at 1 or 2 other stops, more an up and comer than a re-tread. If you were fired at your previous job, I do not want you here.

You think Kermit could be pushing for Win to have his shot?

No doubt CM has asked for his opinion as good as he and KD get along. And especially how well KD has handled this entire situation.

What is so unique about Kermit is how much he preaches defense and going 100% in every practice. I have no doubt that is why we were so successful and my hope is that we can find a guy with those same traits.

I think Kermit plans on taking Win with him, unless he has a shot at the job here. And I think Win is interested in being the guy here. Just a thought...

You think Kermit could be pushing for Win to have his shot?

No doubt CM has asked for his opinion as good as he and KD get along. And especially how well KD has handled this entire situation.

I sure hope not. That would be a very Little Middle thing to do. We did that with baseball and it has been a failure to this point.

If Win is truly the best candidate we can get, then so be it. But there is absolutely Zero chance I believe that to be the case at this point. Until I hear 4 or 5 coaches turned us down before it gets to Win, I just cannot believe he is the option we have on 3/14

I think Kermit plans on taking Win with him, unless he has a shot at the job here. And I think Win is interested in being the guy here. Just a thought...
I think of Mags replacing coach Pete. Mags has destroyed all the prestige that program had.

Fox was dominant at Nevada.
Plus he runs and ultra clean program.
He’s gotta be #1.
My #2 is Darrin Horn.

Not just no, but hell no to the following:
Chris Jans
Dana Ford
Casey Alexander
And even though I think he’s terrific, no to Win Case.
UAB went the top assistant route. He’s murdered that program.

Forbes has a $500K buyout at ETSU. MTSU doesnt have the coin to cover that and his salary of maybe $700K. We have to pay Stock...remember !

How do you know that we are not require Ole Miss to pay us some cash...CKD is UNDER contract with us, don't think you can just walk away.

How do you know that we are not require Ole Miss to pay us some cash...CKD is UNDER contract with us, don't think you can just walk away.
I was thinking the same. We have to be getting paid something. He’s breaking a contract.

ADVERTISEMENT