ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Candidates

Thad Matta just turned down UGA (not sure why). Any chance we can get him?

The AJC reported that Thad maybe milking his buyout. His contract had a stipulation he will only receive his buyout money if he is trying to obtain comparable employment. So he interviewed in Ole Miss (turned them down) and now UGA. It seems he maybe doing the interview circuit going to keep getting his check from tOSU to not coach.

The AJC reported that Thad maybe milking his buyout. His contract had a stipulation he will only receive his buyout money if he is trying to obtain comparable employment. So he interviewed in Ole Miss (turned them down) and now UGA. It seems he maybe doing the interview circuit going to keep getting his check from tOSU to not coach.

Matta also has significant health issues, IIRC.

Forbes literally signed a contract extension 3 weeks ago with ETSU. He used the Ole Miss rumors for him to get a salary bump. He is not going anywhere.
Never claimed he was but wanted to point out how you can get around a potential buyout. Massaro would not hire anyone linked to Bruce Pearl.

Thad Matta has withdrawn from Georgia. Tubby terminated in Memphis. Any thoughts on those 2 coming to Middle?

Never said claimed he was but wanted to point out how you can get around a potential buyout. Massaro would not hire anyone linked to Bruce Pearl.

I can go with that. Several people just keep mentioning Forbes.

Hey I would trade the CKD buyout with Ole Miss for a football home and home. Of course, they get 700,000 from their SEC/ESPN TV contract every 5-6 days, so they probably would be unwilling to do that.

They won their conference regular season by 2 full games and won 23 games. I will take that in a down year.

But I am not really excited about Dooley or honestly any of the names so far. Being down here in Georgia, Mark Fox is a blah hire.

I really dont want a coach who failed at his previous position. I want someone with previous head coaching experience that was successful at 1 or 2 other stops, more an up and comer than a re-tread. If you were fired at your previous job, I do not want you here.

Did Kermit not fail at his previous head coaching job before MT?

I can go with that. Several people just keep mentioning Forbes.

Hey I would trade the CKD buyout with Ole Miss for a football home and home. Of course, they get 700,000 from their SEC/ESPN TV contract every 5-6 days, so they probably would be unwilling to do that.
WHY???? Our football program is terrible. It is a money suck. A home and home would do nothing for us if we don't get something from it.

Mark Fox, please. Massively successful at Nevada, and did a modest job at Georgia. Georgia is a hard job. Nobody has ever done well. We would also likely keep all 3 current signees with Mark Fox.

Reactions: C-Bow and MTOleBlue
Mark Fox, please. Massively successful at Nevada, and did a modest job at Georgia. Georgia is a hard job. Nobody has ever done well. We would also likely keep all 3 current signees with Mark Fox.

This is critical to keep our team intact assuming these guys fit the new coach's system.

I like the idea of Fox if he is open to it.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Did Kermit not fail at his previous head coaching job before MT?

He was. But that was 16 years ago after Randy Wiel. An empty chair would have been an improvement with the state of our program at that time.

I am talking about a coach for this team in 2018 coming off the past 7 years. The program is in a completely different place & I would hope we hire like that.

Just a personal preference, but I wouldrather have an up-and-coming that is successful now and has been successful at another stop or 2 versus a coach that was just fired.

Reactions: MTLynn
WHY???? Our football program is terrible. It is a money suck. A home and home would do nothing for us if we don't get something from it.

Without getting too far off topic -

Because a home & home with an SEC school has more value than a one-time payout of $700,000 our school. Make it another 2 for 1 with basketball or football/basketball/baseball series deal. Much like MightyRaiders' post about using scheduling to get around paying a buyout, I was suggesting we could find ways that could benefit the athletic program more than someone giving us 1 time cash

Like you said Ole Miss has plenty of cash. And CKD won't be taking much of a hit with his new salary to pay the buy back.

Mark Fox, Thad Matta... priorities, if our admin has any brains

Thad Matta turned down Ole Miss, who was able to steal our coach. He just turned down a 5 year, 16 million at UGA. Matta said, “It was the most difficult decision because Georgia is a tremendous opportunity for a coach to build a great program,” Matta told Goodman. “Unfortunately, I just don’t feel that I am completely ready at this point to give Greg McGarity and Georgia what they deserve.” There is zero chance Thad comes to MT this year.

Mark Fox said he already had some calls and he wants to coach again. I assume CM was one of those calls.

Thad Matta turned down Ole Miss, who was able to steal our coach. He just turned down a 5 year, 16 million at UGA. Matta said, “It was the most difficult decision because Georgia is a tremendous opportunity for a coach to build a great program,” Matta told Goodman. “Unfortunately, I just don’t feel that I am completely ready at this point to give Greg McGarity and Georgia what they deserve.” There is zero chance Thad comes to MT this year.

Mark Fox said he already had some calls and he wants to coach again. I assume CM was one of those calls.
I wouldn't assume CM has been too proactive, given past experience...

Reactions: RaiderDawg78
agree on fox. He will also have in roads with the 2019/20 recruits. Do you know what his style of basketball is? Really like our current physical,gritty, defense approach

Fox was also reportedly making $1.7 million a year at UGA. Middle can't swing that, but they could come in the 1-1.2 range and look pretty damn viable.

According to DNJ first article, five possible candidates are:

- Andy Kennedy (no thanks - we have seen firsthand that he isn't great)
- Darrin Horn (possible, wife is from Franklin and did great at WKU)
- Casey Alexander (Lipscomb HC, a Rick Byrd protege; smart)
- Earl Grant (lots of progress at Charleston; backup to CKD at Miss.)
- Mark Fox (quality coach, likely able to sustain CKD's momentum)

According to DNJ first article, five possible candidates are:

- Andy Kennedy (no thanks - we have seen firsthand that he isn't great)
- Darrin Horn (possible, wife is from Franklin and did great at WKU)
- Casey Alexander (Lipscomb HC, a Rick Byrd protege; smart)
- Earl Grant (lots of progress at Charleston; backup to CKD at Miss.)
- Mark Fox (quality coach, likely able to sustain CKD's momentum)

Earl Grant & Mark Fox are the only 2 good candidates of that bunch.

For me, it would be:

1. Mark Fox

2. Earl Grant

You give everything you have to get one of those 2. Not interested in anybody else. I'd also work hard to keep Ronnie Hamilton if possible.

Casey Alexander and Earl Grant are the only ones from that list that interest me

Casey Alexander would be a disaster of a hire. I don't even know where to begin. He runs a Rick Byrd system, recruiting sharp shooting white dudes that play good defense.

Just isn't congruent with what we do here. We'd lose all 3 signees if we signed Alexander, which we cannot afford to do.

I'd rather not go through a total transformation and instead try to keep forging the path that Kermit created.

Casey Alexander would be a disaster of a hire. I don't even know where to begin. He runs a Rick Byrd system, recruiting sharp shooting white dudes that play good defense.
That's mostly what you can sign at small Christian schools, so their hands are tied a bit, but they both have been able to build conference championship winning teams.

Alexander has a losing record overall.
Yep, and he has shown much improvement from his first year at both Stetson and Lipscomb. The guy knows how to win

Stetson (Atlantic Sun Conference) (2011–2013)
2011–12 Stetson 9–20 6–12 8th
2012–13 Stetson 15–16 11–7 3rd

Lipscomb (Atlantic Sun Conference) (2013–present)
2013–14 Lipscomb 15–15 10–8 5th
2014–15 Lipscomb 14–17 7–7 T–4th
2015–16 Lipscomb 12–21 7–7 T–6th
2016–17 Lipscomb 20–13 11–3 2nd
2017–18 Lipscomb 23–9 10–4 2nd

Heck, just for fun in this dark time I will throw my hat in the ring. I’m 67% head coaching. My first order of business would be to get Win and Greg raises. I will even do it for a quarter of what Kermit did.

Reactions: C-Bow
What is so unique about Kermit is how much he preaches defense and going 100% in every practice. I have no doubt that is why we were so successful and my hope is that we can find a guy with those same traits.

This. Exactly.

Reactions: Hop45
Yep, and he has shown much improvement from his first year at both Stetson and Lipscomb. The guy knows how to win

Stetson (Atlantic Sun Conference) (2011–2013)
2011–12 Stetson 9–20 6–12 8th
2012–13 Stetson 15–16 11–7 3rd

Lipscomb (Atlantic Sun Conference) (2013–present)
2013–14 Lipscomb 15–15 10–8 5th
2014–15 Lipscomb 14–17 7–7 T–4th
2015–16 Lipscomb 12–21 7–7 T–6th
2016–17 Lipscomb 20–13 11–3 2nd
2017–18 Lipscomb 23–9 10–4 2nd
Earl Grant had success much more quickly than Casey Alexander

College of Charleston (CAA) (2014–present)
2014–15 College of Charleston 9–24 3–15 10th
2015–16 College of Charleston 17–14 8–10 7th
2016–17 College of Charleston 25–10 14–4 2nd NIT First round
2017–18 College of Charleston 26–7 14–4 T–1st NCAA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT