ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Candidates

According to DNJ first article, five possible candidates are:

- Andy Kennedy (no thanks - we have seen firsthand that he isn't great)
- Darrin Horn (possible, wife is from Franklin and did great at WKU)
- Casey Alexander (Lipscomb HC, a Rick Byrd protege; smart)
- Earl Grant (lots of progress at Charleston; backup to CKD at Miss.)
- Mark Fox (quality coach, likely able to sustain CKD's momentum)

Horn? Get him off any and all lists! That's not even funny.

The more I read about Grant, the more I like him. He is young, he knows how to win at extremely small D1 schools (Winthrop) and at larger Mids from time with Gregg Marshall, he as experience in P5 schools, and he seems to have turned around CoC in a 4 year time frame.

I like Grant the best, but this guy can wait for a bigger job. Would he take $700K-1M from MT when he can wait for more money from a P5 school?

The biggest issue you're going to have with Grant, is he is a Charleston native. He is back home close to his family. My barber is good friends with him. If you can convince him to leave will be hard.

I think Wiley is right. Mark Fox may indeed be our best fit. I really hope it isn’t an assistant coach from somewhere. If we get Fox I think we need to move quickly. Bottom line is we need someone to save the recruiting class.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
If McPhee and Massaro come strong with whatever the counter to Kermit was, Grant would have to consider if in fact he is only making 300 or so K at cofc. I just don't want massaro getting public turndowns from any candidates to use as leverage at current jobs...

I think Wiley is right. Mark Fox may indeed be our best fit. I really hope it isn’t an assistant coach from somewhere. If we get Fox I think we need to move quickly. Bottom line is we need someone to save the recruiting class.

I said it in the other thread. Mark Fox was UGA's version of Rick Stockstill. You could replace Mark Fox with CRS in their message boards and call in shows, and you couldn't tell a difference b/t what is said about CRS on our boards. Rick Stansbury was 10x more successful at Mississippi State than Mark Fox was at UGA - we would have a worse coach than WKU has if we make this hire. Fox had a losing SEC record, Andy Kennedy who got fired at Ole Miss had winning SEC record and had more post season appearances & now Kermit has his job.

Maybe living in Georgia and hearing UGA fans want him fired for years just left a bad taste in my mouth. But Mark Fox would be a blah hire.

I said it in the other thread. Mark Fox was UGA's version of Rick Stockstill. You could replace Mark Fox with CRS in their message boards and call in shows, and you couldn't tell a difference b/t what is said about CRS on our boards. Rick Stansbury was 10x more successful at Mississippi State than Mark Fox was at UGA - we would have a worse coach than WKU has if we make this hire. Fox had a losing SEC record, Andy Kennedy who got fired at Ole Miss had winning SEC record and had more post season appearances & now Kermit has his job.

Maybe living in Georgia and hearing UGA fans want him fired for years just left a bad taste in my mouth. But Mark Fox would be a blah hire.

When he was hired at uga from nevada, my reaction was WTF. My preference would be a guy with more of a connection to the south.

Georgia just had the #1 recruiting class in nation for 2019. No one has EVER had success at Georgia.. that one class is by far the biggest thing they’ve ever had happen

Any chance in hell of luring Bob McKillop from Davidson? What's he making there?

Most recent figures have McKillop @ 400k....

wow.

If we really wanted him, we could probably get him. He's got quite the resume at Davidson.

Steve Forbes.....76-29 in 3 years at ETSU.....3 straight SoCon Championship games in 3 years.....1 NCAA Tournament appearance.....lost 4 starters, 70% of his offense from a year ago, and led his team to 25 wins this past season.....outstanding recruiter & coach.....seems like a very good fit for MTSU.....

Reactions: MTLynn
Steve Forbes.....76-29 in 3 years at ETSU.....3 straight SoCon Championship games in 3 years.....1 NCAA Tournament appearance.....lost 4 starters, 70% of his offense from a year ago, and led his team to 25 wins this past season.....outstanding recruiter & coach.....seems like a very good fit for MTSU.....

Steve Forbes would be a home run.......

But can we get him?

Head coaching record

NJCAA

Barton County Community College (Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference) (1995–1998)
1995–98 Barton County Community College 68–28 0–0

Northwest Florida State College (Panhandle Conference) (2011–2013)
2011–12 Northwest Florida State 32–2 11–1 1st NJCAA DI National Runner-Up
2012–13 Northwest Florida State 30–4 11–1 1st NJCAA DI National Runner-Up

NCAA DI

East Tennessee State (Southern Conference) (2015–present)
2015–16 East Tennessee State 24–12 14–4 2nd Vegas 16 Semifinals
2016–17 East Tennessee State 27–8 14–4 T–1st NCAA First Round
2017–18 East Tennessee State 25–9 14–4 2nd

The man has signed 2 contract extensions with ETSU since November, including one less than a month ago when his name started showing up as candidates at other jobs.

I like Forbes, but you don't sign a contact extension in February to leave in March.

The more I research and read about Forbes, I'm starting to think he is the best candidate out there that we can potentially get.

I've moved him to #1 on my wish list. My wish-list goes like this.

1. Steve Forbes
2. Rick Pitino
3. Win Case
4. Tubby Smith
5. Joe Dooley

Honorable mention, under-the-radar, never-gonna-happen hire, Bob Hoffman (Mercer)

Nice list.

I’ll never support a Pitino hire.

He's never been found guilty of anything. I am a firm believer in due process. Show me some hard evidence against Pitino, otherwise; I'll take him all day.

And what would make Pitino such a great hire, is that he would have a lot to prove.

Hall of fame coach out to prove something......

Are you kidding?

I wouldn't support a Pitino hire either. While it would being us great media attention, it wouldn't be the kind we want. Especially replacing someone who ran a super clean non tolerating program for 16 years.

I think he is going to have to sit out a year anyway. Schools will want to see give it all more time for that mess to play out.

Would love to see Pitino hired here. Hell the man we all love and adore (Kermit) got slapped pretty darn hard for being a little dirty back in the day. Pitino can coach and recruit. He would also be a big influence of the casual fan.

Would love to see Pitino hired here. Hell the man we all love and adore (Kermit) got slapped pretty darn hard for being a little dirty back in the day. Pitino can coach and recruit. He would also be a big influence of the casual fan.

Exactly. Kermit had his history too when we brought him here.

Imagine the recruits Pitino would bring in. You know he can bring in good assistants too because he's got some of the best connections in the business. The man is a living legend. If we had an opportunity to get him here.....

I am completely baffled people wouldn't support him here.

The only down-side to hiring him is that it would be nothing more than a place for him to clean his image up. He would be gone in 2-3 years. We could place a huge buyout on his contract though and he'd probably still accept it because he just wants to get back in the game.

I would hire him in a heart beat, pay him 750k x 3 years, put a $2 million buyout on his contract, and get to work.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
The only down-side to hiring him is that it would be nothing more than a place for him to clean his image up. He would be gone in 2-3 years. We could place a huge buyout on his contract though and he'd probably still accept it because he just wants to get back in the game.
Pitino is soon to be 66 years old. IF he coaches again, I'd say it will be his last stop

Looking more at Pitino, it wouldn’t be terrible. Everything I’m reading looks like dust hasn’t settled.

I just would like a clean program, that’s all. If nothing come out of the FBI, then great.

And I wanna say this.

Massaro better NOT EVEN THINK about hiring Jeff Lebo.......

Looking more at Pitino, it wouldn’t be terrible. Everything I’m reading looks like dust hasn’t settled.

I just would like a clean program, that’s all. If nothing come out of the FBI, then great.

Pitino would be great, but there's absolutely zero chance Massaro would ever hire him. Pitino is the definition of high risk, high reward.

Any athletic director hiring Pitino is knowingly putting their own job at risk. It takes someone bold, someone looking to take a gamble, not afraid of the consequences. Someone who doesn't settle for mediocre results.

And Massaro is not that man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT