Portal Watch

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
Some names I'm already seeing in the portal

Richard Kinley
Zaylin Wood

The thing with the portal is the door swings both ways. You can't blame these guys entering for seeking something known. Something fresh for them. But the new coach can just as easily sell that same mentality to someone in the portal to pick us.

I thank them for their contributions here and wish them well, I do. But at the same time, next man up.

The thing with the portal is the door swings both ways. You can't blame these guys entering for seeking something known. Something fresh for them. But the new coach can just as easily sell that same mentality to someone in the portal to pick us.

I thank them for their contributions here and wish them well, I do. But at the same time, next man up.
New coach needs to hit the portal hard.

We need some fresh talent, so I’ll take the Deion approach next year. hit reset and move some of these guys along that never were D1 talents. I’m not calling anyone out but we can agree that we had a lot of kids that had no other offers and it showed.

Open up those roster spots for new transfers in. To help change the culture we probably need a lot of turnover.

Have no problem with the player hitting the portal. Best of luck to them in their new endeavors.

FWIW, I believe a new rule is in effect : If there are 30 roster spots open (portal + graduation), the new HC can sign 30 guys. My guess is that any new HC will hit the portal HARD to get off to a quick start in 2024

Have no problem with the player hitting the portal. Best of luck to them in their new endeavors.

FWIW, I believe a new rule is in effect : If there are 30 roster spots open (portal + graduation), the new HC can sign 30 guys. My guess is that any new HC will hit the portal HARD to get off to a quick start in 2024
Yeah I would think the new coach will too. Need to add some talent to the team. We need bigger and faster players. Plenty of them in the portal. Plus our incoming commits are definitely lacking in the offer department.

No one is irreplaceable on a crap team like we have.

Certainly not but the team does have some pretty good players at certain positions. Jakobe Thomas, Zaylin Wood, Marley Cook, and Sam Brumfield are all legit D1 players. It will hurt losing them, no matter who the next coach is. Just part of the process I guess. I suspect the first year or two will have a lot of growing pains because of so much roster turnover.

Reactions: Hop45
Certainly not but the team does have some pretty good players at certain positions. Jakobe Thomas, Zaylin Wood, Marley Cook, and Sam Brumfield are all legit D1 players. It will hurt losing them, no matter who the next coach is. Just part of the process I guess. I suspect the first year or two will have a lot of growing pains because of so much roster turnover.
I doubt they all will, but some could come back too depending on next coach.

Several have already received offers. Idk how the portal works so idk if offer really means an invite or legit offer, pwo, or what.

Follow SSN_Portal on X.

Sam Brumfield
Arizona St
Cal
North TX
Tulsa
Memphis

Marley Cook
Liberty
UConn
Houston

Zaylin Wood
WKU
USF

Follow SSN_Portal on X.

Sam Brumfield
Arizona St
Cal
North TX
Tulsa
Memphis

Marley Cook
Liberty
UConn
Houston

Zaylin Wood
WKU
USF

Painful. Some of our best players already out the door and getting Power 5 offers elsewhere.

Hate it, but part of the process I guess.

We need to get a coach hired ASAP.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Most of these offers were probably in thee works, it didn't matter that Stock got fired, just made it easier on the kids
Totally agree with that. Jaylin Lane left last year and he loved Stock too. P5 is P5 and these dudes didn't want be on a 4 win team when they could ball at a P5. They were gone regardless.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Is there a “blessed to receive an offer from” template sent out to players? Piggybacking off DoubleR’s post, they’ll feel blessed sitting 3 deep on a P5’s roster

Last edited:
Bro, the whole team basically just entered the portal. Too many to keep up with. The new coacch is gonna have to completely rebuild from scratch.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT