ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING Portal Shopping

Nice one two punch at forward with Scott & Arike now. Scott will be quicker with higher scoring potential, but Arike will provide a strong physicality down low. 3 Excellent shot blockers now with Boldyreva, Scott, & Arike! That can make for a tough 3 headed monster for when coaches want to have all 3 on the floor together.
I see Arike as an excellent replacement more so for Whitson than Iullia.
As I think about it we still should be in good shape at the 5 spot. Grannum was pretty impressive as an emergency player in the tournament, & understand Mason made excellent steps forward during her red shirt last year. Even at that we still have a few more openings. Plenty of opportunity for another big, but still want that point guard to back up Jada.
I'd expect another point guard to come from the portal. I can't gauge Harrison's progression because she's still in a boot, but I'd expect a lot of PT. Something different about this team next season -- we will probably see 8-9 players rotate 15+ min/game.

1 - Harrison
2 - Gregory
3 - Scott
4 - Arike
5 - Boldyreva

I'd expect another point guard to come from the portal. I can't gauge Harrison's progression because she's still in a boot, but I'd expect a lot of PT. Something different about this team next season -- we will probably see 8-9 players rotate 15+ min/game.

1 - Harrison
2 - Gregory
3 - Scott
4 - Arike
5 - Boldyreva
I think that's a great starting lineup and most likely what we'll see, bar a surprise star PG portal transfer.

Reactions: jakeboldenbrp
I guess I'm in the minority on this one. Arike is obviously a really good defender, but for a team that places a big importance on 3P shooting, it makes me a little nervous.

I know the common response will be Savannah Davis, but unless they are a bonfire blue chip, relying on freshmen to contribute right from the jump can be a roll of the dice, although I have no reason to think she won't be. I would have rather had a 3 and D type like Whitson

As far as depth goes, every year for the last 3-4 I thought MT would go 8-10 deep and every year I've been proven wrong. Insell has forgotten more than I could ever know and they gave a great S&C program, so hard to argue either

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I guess I'm in the minority on this one. Arike is obviously a really good defender, but for a team that places a big importance on 3P shooting, it makes me a little nervous.

I know the common response will be Savannah Davis, but unless they are a bonfire blue chip, relying on freshmen to contribute right from the jump can be a roll of the dice, although I have no reason to think she won't be. I would have rather had a 3 and D type like Whitson

As far as depth goes, every year for the last 3-4 I thought MT would go 8-10 deep and every year I've been proven wrong. Insell has forgotten more than I could ever know and they gave a great S&C program, so hard to argue either
Not that I disagree, but I’ll play devil’s advocate.

I wouldn’t look for the “3 and D type” if I have Scott on my roster. No one is taking her PT, so anyone worth adding wouldn’t come to MTSU. If you’re referring to 3 in terms of the shot (and not the small forward position), they’ve got plenty of girls that can shot over 35% from deep, Boldyreva included.

Whitson’s biggest downfall was her length at the 4. Some will forget Whitson played the 5 before Boldyreva showed up and we saw her stretch the floor when we finally got a true 5.

Arike can rebound and score inside 15 feet. Would it be great if she was a 35% 3 point shooter, absolutely. Boldyreva has extended to the arc her junior season, who’s to say Arike doesn’t make that leap this year and attempt 50+ from 3. You’re not gonna find another player not named Gregory that Insell would let shoot 6+ threes a game like Whitson (mind you, was only a 30% 3-pt shooter in ‘24). So Arike does all the same things Whitson does well, defends and rebounds with the added bonus of being 6’2”.

As to the rotation, he’s got quite the log jam at guard — a lot of girls that can score it. One thing is certain, the best players play.

Will admit that Arike has not been an offensive juggernaut, but I'm ok with that. She's capable of being a 9-10 ppg player just as Whitson was in the past, only it appears her points will likely be from inside the arc. What I like best is having a 6' 2" forward down low who can also block & defend. Mark me if I'm wrong, but I can scarcely remember us with a forward with this height. Many of our past forwards have been 6' tops.

Mark me if I'm wrong, but I can scarcely remember us with a forward with this height. Many of our past forwards have been 6' tops.
Made me want to do a deep dive into that. Obviously positions are fluid but I found the names of players that played significant time at the 4 (specifically not the 5) and were >6' tall.

Anna Jones ('18-'19), 6'1"
Ebony Rowe ('11-'14), 6'1"
Icelyn Elie ('10-'13), 6'1"
Brandi Brown ('07-'09), 6'3"
Emily Queen ('08-'11), 6'1"
Krystal Horton ('04-'06), 6'1"
Tia Stovall ('03-'06), 6'1"

The only time we had a contributor at the 4 >/= Arike's 6'2" frame was Brandi Brown in '07-'09. Her sophomore season ('07) was the last time MTSU won a NCAA Tournament game, hold the program record of a 27-game win streak, and defeated then #11-ranked Georgia Bulldogs on the road.

Not sure that means anything, but it's a cool piece of trivia! My irrational mind will make parallels.

Not that I disagree, but I’ll play devil’s advocate.

I wouldn’t look for the “3 and D type” if I have Scott on my roster. No one is taking her PT, so anyone worth adding wouldn’t come to MTSU. If you’re referring to 3 in terms of the shot (and not the small forward position), they’ve got plenty of girls that can shot over 35% from deep, Boldyreva included.

Whitson’s biggest downfall was her length at the 4. Some will forget Whitson played the 5 before Boldyreva showed up and we saw her stretch the floor when we finally got a true 5.

Arike can rebound and score inside 15 feet. Would it be great if she was a 35% 3 point shooter, absolutely. Boldyreva has extended to the arc her junior season, who’s to say Arike doesn’t make that leap this year and attempt 50+ from 3. You’re not gonna find another player not named Gregory that Insell would let shoot 6+ threes a game like Whitson (mind you, was only a 30% 3-pt shooter in ‘24). So Arike does all the same things Whitson does well, defends and rebounds with the added bonus of being 6’2”.

As to the rotation, he’s got quite the log jam at guard — a lot of girls that can score it. One thing is certain, the best players play.
I guess I should clarify that when I say 3 and D, its not a refernce to the 3 spot, merely a player that had most of their attempts from the 3pt line. Love Scott as a player and I'm excited to see her continued development

I dont hate the addition, defense always travels, I guess I just had something different in mind to replace Whitson. I wouldn't be mad if it made MT less reliant on the 3.

I hope your right about the rotation and I've never wondered if CRI was playing favorites, it just makes me nervous having 5 girls get 95% of the minutes. Having those kind of minutes with no major injuries is a little bit of luck and alot of having a great S&C, idk what they pay Tessaa Grossman, but she needs a raise

I really only saw Elina play against us in person and away, but she looked unstoppable. She may have just been getting up for our game, but she did look good. I have decided that Coach Insell would play 7 maybe 8 players if he had the first and second team for CUSA as his players. Again, he has forgotten more basketball than our entire board has ever known. He is a great coach and feels comfortable with that. Matt may nudge him a little to play some players more as he feels more comfortable with it. One thing that may not be obvious is that the players themselves that are starting probably love playing 95% of the time. I wish it was spread out a little more - maybe 80% and give a little more time to the subs. We are not always going to have luck with injuries. We have been pretty lucky and can't remember many season ending injuries. Emily Queen had issues with a knee and had to eventually quit. In her senior year, Chelsia Lymon tore her knee up at Western Kentucky and was out for the year. Women's knees are at greater risk of injury because of they way they are built, no matter what great shape they are in. Our strength and conditioning coach is great though.
With regards to getting another point guard through the portal, it would have to be a senior with no more eligibility that could share time with Harrison. They are probably wary of losing Jada to the portal with bringing in the wrong person. One possibility that might be fit would be Jazion Jackson. She did hurt her knee at the first of the 23-24 season after she had transferred there from UTEP. She went into the portal March 1, 2024 and seems to be a good friend of Elina's. Someone would have to take a chance on her, but she might be a good one year starter and mentor for Jada. They do have to be careful with that position though.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
The reason I said that the players may like that 95% time is that Calipari was talking about one year he had 10 great players and decided to platoon everyone. He said he took a major recruiting hit for the next 3-4 years because of it. Players didn't want to play 20 minutes. I know Calipari was always recruiting from the top 50 in the nation, but it could be that is a recruiting ploy that the Insell's use to get players to a mid-major.

The reason I said that the players may like that 95% time is that Calipari was talking about one year he had 10 great players and decided to platoon everyone. He said he took a major recruiting hit for the next 3-4 years because of it. Players didn't want to play 20 minutes. I know Calipari was always recruiting from the top 50 in the nation, but it could be that is a recruiting ploy that the Insell's use to get players to a mid-major.
Can't argue with the results and hadn't considered that before. In the grand scheme, your living the good life as a fan if your biggest complaint is PT distribution.

Agree on trying to get a senior pg, if for nothing else so that Harrison can ease into the kind of minutes she'll eventually have. Might be looking like 2025 being a pretty large signing class

Getting a Senior with no eligibility left would ease Jada into things, and also give us some backup in case she has complications. They seem to be trying to be very careful. They want her around for a long time and limiting her playing time at first seems like a good idea.

Checked a couple of home games that Clemson had this year. Against Louisville & NC State, both nationally ranked teams Clemson averaged between 850 - 900 fans total. Similar fan base to Belmont. Maybe crowds over 1,000 make some players a little nervous.

Regardless of who we get, I think this staff will do and has done a great job of finding players that fit the vibe of the team both in terms of play style and the mentality of a player we're looking for. They've certainly learned from hits (Ebony Rowe, Charity Savage, etc.) in the past and misses (Anastasia Hayes, Olivia Jones, etc.)

Reactions: MTFAN61
FYI: Charity was on the bench until her senior season and she came off - switched positions and was an awesome post player. I agree that they will try to get players that fit after being burned by the Hayes sisters.

FYI: Charity was on the bench until her senior season and she came off - switched positions and was an awesome post player. I agree that they will try to get players that fit after being burned by the Hayes sisters.
Exactly. That mentality.

With today April 17 being the start of high school national signing day I anticipated we might have heard something from Matt. If no high school signings take place shortly I anticipate we're all in on the portal.

1 - Harrison
2 - Gregory
3 - Scott
4 - Arike
5 - Boldyreva
To your last comment regarding a rotation of 8-9 players, I would sincerely be interested to hear your thoughts on that?
Though we live out-of-state, we had women’s season tickets a long time. Got harder to get up to games so let them lapse couple years ago. Still follow the program.
CRI is nothing if not consistent. For as long as I can remember, he has played 5.5 girls per game. He rarely clears the bench till 2-3 minutes left in the game.
So, it is one of 2 things. Either they really whiffed on a lot of their past recruits, so he only plays 5-6 per game? Or, you think at CRI’s young age😊 he’s going to change his in-game management strategy and begin playing 8-9 girls per game? I’ll believe it when I see it!
Anyway, would be interested to read your thought process. Thanks!

To your last comment regarding a rotation of 8-9 players, I would sincerely be interested to hear your thoughts on that?
Though we live out-of-state, we had women’s season tickets a long time. Got harder to get up to games so let them lapse couple years ago. Still follow the program.
CRI is nothing if not consistent. For as long as I can remember, he has played 5.5 girls per game. He rarely clears the bench till 2-3 minutes left in the game.
So, it is one of 2 things. Either they really whiffed on a lot of their past recruits, so he only plays 5-6 per game? Or, you think at CRI’s young age😊 he’s going to change his in-game management strategy and begin playing 8-9 girls per game? I’ll believe it when I see it!
Anyway, would be interested to read your thought process. Thanks!
I'll admit it's a hot take. Because not much has changed in his nearly 20 years. The last time he played 8 girls in 90% of games played and everyone averaged at least 10 minutes/game was in 2018-19. That team went 23-11, 13-6 and had a roster of 4 seniors, 1 junior, 3 underclassmen:

A'Queen Hayes (r-Senior)
Alex Johnson (Senior)
Taylor Sutton (Freshman)
Anna Jones (Sophomore)
Jess Louro (Senior)
Jordan Majors (r-Junior)
Alexis Whittington (Freshman)
Katie Collier (Senior)

This upcoming outlook has 4 seniors, 2 juniors, 2 underclassmen, and a question mark:

Jada Harrison (r-Freshman)
Jalynn Gregory (Senior)
Anastasiia Boldyreva (Senior)
Ta'Mia Scott (Junior)
Elina Arike (5th year)
Savannah Davis (Freshman)
-my scouting would say her scoring ability would put her in the mix for 90% @ 10/min
Jada Grannum (r-Senior)
-should probably hit that 90% @ 10/min mark being the first off for foul trouble to Arike/Boldyreva
Another PG Portal Addition
-if they get someone with real playing experience I expect them to take the starting position/minutes from Harrison. I understand this is an 'if'
Gracie Dodgen (r-Junior)
-my biggest reach, but she was a great shooter in HS that I could see stepping into that role again if Davis doesn't

You'll notice this upcoming roster is far more versatile up and down the roster compared to 2019, and it is a far more talented. I'm not guaranteeing anything, but it comes down to this team having great depth and this portal age is requiring playing time.

IF MT goes 8-9 deep, I got a feeling we'll see somebody take a step forward that isn't being talked about (Hamby, Kabernick, Mason)

I view Davis as a better version of Dodgen, so I think Gracie needs to make improvements in the other parts of her game to get playing time

IF MT goes 8-9 deep, I got a feeling we'll see somebody take a step forward that isn't being talked about (Hamby, Kabernick, Mason)

I view Davis as a better version of Dodgen, so I think Gracie needs to make improvements in the other parts of her game to get playing time
I’ve been told they’re very happy with Kabernick’s growth and development her redshirt freshman year.

I’ve been told they’re very happy with Kabernick’s growth and development her redshirt freshman year.
Yeah Stacey Kabernick would be the one. She was the player highlighted by the coaching staff and some of the players as really becoming an outstanding future star for the team, the next Whitson perhaps. I think she has the 3 point shot down based on what we’ve seen in warmups… with an extra dimension of height as she’s taller than Whitson.

I'll admit it's a hot take. Because not much has changed in his nearly 20 years. The last time he played 8 girls in 90% of games played and everyone averaged at least 10 minutes/game was in 2018-19. That team went 23-11, 13-6 and had a roster of 4 seniors, 1 junior, 3 underclassmen:

A'Queen Hayes (r-Senior)
Alex Johnson (Senior)
Taylor Sutton (Freshman)
Anna Jones (Sophomore)
Jess Louro (Senior)
Jordan Majors (r-Junior)
Alexis Whittington (Freshman)
Katie Collier (Senior)

This upcoming outlook has 4 seniors, 2 juniors, 2 underclassmen, and a question mark:

Jada Harrison (r-Freshman)
Jalynn Gregory (Senior)
Anastasiia Boldyreva (Senior)
Ta'Mia Scott (Junior)
Elina Arike (5th year)
Savannah Davis (Freshman)
-my scouting would say her scoring ability would put her in the mix for 90% @ 10/min
Jada Grannum (r-Senior)
-should probably hit that 90% @ 10/min mark being the first off for foul trouble to Arike/Boldyreva
Another PG Portal Addition
-if they get someone with real playing experience I expect them to take the starting position/minutes from Harrison. I understand this is an 'if'
Gracie Dodgen (r-Junior)
-my biggest reach, but she was a great shooter in HS that I could see stepping into that role again if Davis doesn't

You'll notice this upcoming roster is far more versatile up and down the roster compared to 2019, and it is a far more talented. I'm not guaranteeing anything, but it comes down to this team having great depth and this portal age is requiring playing time.
Thanks, good stuff, more than I bargained for!👏. I think it’s always beneficial, if someone has a different perspective than yours, to get the context of their thinking.
Will be interesting to see if CRI has a real metamorphosis next year and realizes it’s within the rules to play more than 6 ladies in a game 😎.

Reactions: jakeboldenbrp
Looking forward to see if we get another "big" similar to Grabo from Europe as Jake alluded to. She didn't have the offensive skills of Boldyreva, but great physicality. Hate we didn't get Mirkle, but coach may feel he can do better from overseas. We have Grannum & Mason in the 6' 3" to 6' 4" range, but would love another 6' 5". If that comes to fruition along with a nice pg we'll be totally set for another run next year.

Reactions: Hop45 and MTOleBlue
Thanks, good stuff, more than I bargained for!👏. I think it’s always beneficial, if someone has a different perspective than yours, to get the context of their thinking.
Will be interesting to see if CRI has a real metamorphosis next year and realizes it’s within the rules to play more than 6 ladies in a game 😎.
Their is a much higher chance that I'm wrong. Should be an exciting team nonetheless!

I think the transfer portal chances are still going to make things very interesting. Really curious to see which way we go in that realm. Another PG, perhaps a senior/grad, would be a great add from how the roster is lookin but you never know.

Scherr was on my “long shots” list along with Van Lith who both announced they’re going to TCU today.

I don’t understand the draw to TCU? They typically have a top 100 NET team (beneficiaries of playing in the Big 12) but they’re coming off a 21-12 season in which they nearly shut their season down because they didn’t have enough players from injury.

Scherr was on my “long shots” list along with Van Lith who both announced they’re going to TCU today.

I don’t understand the draw to TCU? They typically have a top 100 NET team (beneficiaries of playing in the Big 12) but they’re coming off a 21-12 season in which they nearly shut their season down because they didn’t have enough players from injury.
Probably $$$

…for Scherr, I think the draw was TCU Head Coach, Mark Campbell was an assistant at her first stop, The Oregon Ducks.

…for Scherr, I think the draw was TCU Head Coach, Mark Campbell was an assistant at her first stop, The Oregon Ducks.
Skylar Gill formerly of North Alabama has left Kansas. She’s an interesting player, plays the 3 and one of the top shot blockers of n the country while at UNA at only 5-10 or 5-11. Didn’t get much playing time at Kansas. She’s an Insell type player IMHO. I wonder if the program is interested in her?

She sounds like a great fit. The 3 and D kinda player we may be looking for. I'm sure the coaches are on the case! In fact, she's already followed on Twitter by three assistant coaches...

Reactions: Tomorrow299
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT