ADVERTISEMENT

Past Signing Days

Middle Mike

True Blue
Dec 14, 2010
Thought I'd float out a few questions regarding past classes:

Favorite signee?

The one that got away. Who hurt the most?

Favorite story?

1) I was pumped when the staff was able to sign both Tucker and Thomas (both 3 star RBs) in the same class.

2) Losing Joe Townsend to Vanderbilt the night before signing day was rough for me. We really needed DTs that year. (Although he did go on to play on the O-Line)

3) When the very lethargic staff member read off the name, "TT Barber." I thought, "Who the hell is TT Barber." Of course, now we all know who TT Barber is.

I didn't think about this, but I was pretty disappointed that the transfers from LSU and Florida State (think it was Calhoun & Harley) didn't have more of an impact. Harley was pretty good, but declared for the draft with one year of left.
This post was edited on 1/29 7:39 PM by Middle Mike

Re: #2, I was thinking about him earlier today, the thought that came first was, it's too bad he won't be on the field this fall when the Blue Raiders kick the commodores.

Man...you just sent me flying down memory lane LOL. Hard to believe it was 10 years ago that I started up with Hutton and the gang. Honestly, I've probably forgotten more stories than I actually remember when it comes to Signing Day.

One that sticks out to me was the 2008 class where Anthony Jones signed (you can also file him under the one who got away, albeit his own fault). Hutton and I, if you'll recall, used to use the studios at 104.5 to record our content for Signing Day. Hutton would get there early and I would stay on campus with a microphone and a tape recorder to get the coach interviews and things of that nature.

Everything was quick, quick, quick back then, so before I'd head up to Nashville, we would do little phone interviews with tidbits about the day, key signings, etc, etc. Well, it got to the point where I needed to head in to the press conference, so we were going to do one last "on sight" phone interview to record, and Anthony Jones' LOI was not in yet. I just remember Hutton saying "do you think he's going to get in, yes or no?" I had no idea, but when we started rolling, he asked the question and I said yes, without a doubt, he was in. MT just stole a 4-star WR from USF.

Then I head into the press conference. They're handing out the papers with the names of signees on them, and I'm looking and looking -- no Jones. At this point, I'm freaking the F out! I just made a complete fool of myself. My whole aura completely changed. I was mortified. A few minutes later, Mark Owens (or somebody else I can't quite remember at this point) comes out and says there's one more to add -- it was Jones.

Talk about relief! When I got up to Nashville, Hutton was elated. Here he is... thinking we scooped everybody on this HUGE signing. I never told him that I was completely guessing!

Man...that story was really hard to put into words LOL. I hope you get the gist.

To summarize -- lied to Hutton and told him this 4-star WR signed when I had no idea if he had or not (I had an inkling, but that was it). Almost ruined our Signing Day coverage because our phone interviews were one take, and had he not signed we would've had to scrap an entire segment of content. Ended up the hero because nobody saw it coming, and the kid signed. I still laugh about it.

I remember him, Casey. I was elated to see his name across the scroll on GBR that morning. Unfortunately he never even made it to Campus.

One that sticks out that got away was Walter Brady from last year. Seems like he was committed to us for about a year and then a week or two before signing day he commits to Missouri and ultimately ended up signing with them.

A couple of guys come to mind.

Joe Henderson was a big one.

I remember Collins Ukwu was committed to us for months, only to get a last minute offer to Kentucky and jump. I don't think it was signing day, but it was close.

I remember Stock commenting on a WR commit we had from Florida, it was hushed up right until signing day, and l think the kid got an offer from the Gators the night before signing day, and flipped. The guy finished his career with 2 catches for 5 yards.

Going back a little further, back to 2005 when landing a 3-star guys was cause for a giant celebration, we had a DE out of Florida I think, named Matt Lewis, who Indiana poached at the last minute.

I remember Matt Lewis, Doug. I was at the event the night before signing day with McCollum and his staff. IIRC, McCollum was on the phone most of the night with Lewis trying to get him to sign.

Originally posted by MTBig Blue:
I remember Matt Lewis, Doug. I was at the event the night before signing day with McCollum and his staff. IIRC, McCollum was on the phone most of the night with Lewis trying to get him to sign.
I had to do a lot of digging, so I'm glad someone else remembers. I don't think he ever did anything at Indiana.

IMHO, I'll never understand these kids that jump at these signing day offers. It should be crystal clear to everyone that those schools are only offering so that they can fill out some practice field fodder.

Originally posted by RaiderDoug:

IMHO, I'll never understand these kids that jump at these signing day offers. It should be crystal clear to everyone that those schools are only offering so that they can fill out some practice field fodder.
So if a guy flips from UTC to MT on signing day they will be practice field fodder?

Originally posted by MTLynn:

So if a guy flips from UTC to MT on signing day they will be practice field fodder?
Yeah, probably.

Again, if the coach's evaluation says that the kid isn't good enough to offer on January 6th.

What changed by February 6th?

Only been following recruiting closely for 5-6 years but a few players that really stand out:

Cam Clemmons and Townsend flipping. Both proved to be solid starters for multiple years.

Really wish Lavonte David would have made it to campus. Don't know all the details there but I'm guessing he didn't qualify?

One last guy who I don't know how interested in MT he was but I sure wanted him was Barry Brunetti. Seemed like we recruited him twice but he ended up playing at WVU and Ole Miss.

I can't say that any signing really stuck out to me as the best at that time but Shane Tucker has quickly become my favorite player. Him and Kamani Thomas were huge signings at the time. Hopefully we'll get to see more of Thomas this year. IIRC most of us, including myself, thought Thomas was going to be the better RB.

Lavonte David was part of those historic teams at Miami Northwestern. I remember watching his film and he was very impressive. Very undersized for a linebacker though. I think he was like 6-0 190lbs. Now he's one of the best linebackers in the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT