ADVERTISEMENT

Parker in "disbelief" over WNBA draft selection

bigbadjohn45

All American
Jul 9, 2010
Parker in 'disbelief' over WNBA draft selection

Will Borthick, DNJ 9:18 p.m. CDT April 16, 2015

B9316424026Z.1_20150227231435_000_G10A37OH6.1-0.jpg

MTSU's Cheyenne Parker goes up for a shot as Parker is defended by UTSA's Akunna Elonu, on Thursday Jan. 29, 2015.
(Photo: HELEN COMER/DNJ)

MURFREESBORO - It didn't take long for Cheyenne Parker to hear her name called during the 2015 WNBA draft Thursday night.

Less than 30 minutes to be exact.

"It was crazy, I just dropped to my knees," Parker said about being selected. "I was just lost for words. My initial thought was, 'Is this real? Did this just happen?' I am just so blessed."

The Chicago Sky selected Parker fifth overall in the first round, making the former MTSU player the fourth Lady Raider selected to play in the WNBA. She joined Chrissy Givens (2007), Amber Holt (2008) and Alysha Clark (2010).

"I couldn't believe it," Parker said about being the fifth player drafted. "I was in disbelief. We talked about it but it was just talk. I just had no idea. It caught me off guard. It just left me at a loss for words."

Parker was projected as a second round pick by most WNBA experts and draft analysts entering the night. Those projections were a moot point though and Chicago head coach and general manager Pokey Chatman knew it before the night began.

"There was a lot of talk for her outside of what you saw in the papers, a lot of people calling trying to move up," Chatman said by phone Thursday night. "I think she did a great job down at the combine and so I think people that laid eyes on her again during that time showed a lot of interest."

The No. 5 pick for the 6-foot-4 New York native was the highest-ever by a former MTSU women's basketball player, surpassing Holt, who was selected ninth overall in 2008.

She became the second-highest former MTSU player ever drafted in any sport behind former baseball standout DewonBrazelton, who was selected No. 3 overall in the 2001 MLB amateur draft.

DNJ

Cheyenne Parker: WNBA draftee? Experts weigh in

Parker's selection came 48 days after she was dismissed from MTSU on Feb. 27 for failing a drug test. She also missed the first three games of the 2014-15 season for the same violation.

"We sat with Cheyenne, we interviewed her, we did our due diligence, spoke to coaches, and made a decision based on putting all those things into the equation," Chatman said.

"(With) some of the difficulties that she went through in hitting rock bottom, I think she understands what she needs to do to be successful at this level. It won't be easy but I think there is some extra motivation there."

635648101805904258-MTSU-Kentucky-Basketb-Krea.jpg

Former MTSU center Cheyenne Parker (11) was selected No. 5 overall in the WNBA draft on Thursday by the Chicago Sky.
(Photo: AP)

The 6-foot-4 center averaged a double-double in 22 games for the Lady Raiders in 2014-15, finishing her abbreviated season averaging 18.6 points, 11.0 rebounds and 4.0 blocks.

Parker also recorded the first-ever triple-double in MTSU history on Jan. 31 against Texas-ElPaso when she scored 18 points, grabbed 17 rebounds and blocked 11 shots.

"She's a talented kid," Chatman explained. "It fills a need that we have because we don't have 15 scholarship people, we have 12. She can play the five. She can play the four. She can face up. She defends. She rebounds."

DNJ

Parker dismissed from MTSU women's basketball team

Parker, who watched the draft from her Murfreesboro residence, said she'll continue to train in Rutherford County until Chicago's training camp starts in mid-May when she'll join her future teammates for the upcoming WNBA season.

The Sky's first game is scheduled for June 5 when they host Indiana.

"I feel like I'll be great fit and I'll be a great help," Parker said. "(Chatman) is telling me that I'll be able to have an impact immediately and that's something I'm looking forward too.

"That's my motivation right now to continue to work on my game to become the best player on the team."

Contact Will Borthick at wborthick@dnj.com. Follow him on Twitter @willborthick.

Despite Parker's problems with us, I think it's amazing that we had a player who was able to garner the fifth overall pick in this year's WNBA draft! Good for her. Good luck, Cheyenne!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT