ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best HS athlete you’ve seen in person?

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
I’ll go Brandan Wright who played at BA and later UNC in basketball. Golden Tate of JPII is up there

Saw Trey Smith when he was at USJ. Even as a Sophomore, he was pushing folks around.

Saw a few folks that played SEC ball when I was in FL in college 15 years ago.

Dave Thomas (RHS QB), Ralph King (RHS RB) Gaston Miller (RHS RB) were athletes but lacked the size to really play ball at the next level.

Eddie Lacy, Landon Collins, Eric Reid, & Justin Reid Dutchtown High Prairieville, LA

Wil Anderson Dutchtown High Hampton, GA

Fernando Bryant RHS Murfreesboro

James Howse OHS Murfreesboro

Reggie White. Wasn't for a football game though. Went to the high school basketball playoffs here in the 'Boro around '80 with a buddy while attending MT. Pretty sure it was the Chattanooga Howard team he was on. Expected a heavy set lineman physique. He was just an athletic hulk, even as a high schooler.

I will second Fernando Bryant as one of the best I ever saw play in HS.

Best athlete I ever stepped on the field with was Jermaine Copeland. Before being the starting WR for Tennessee’s national champion team, he led Harriman to the state basketball championship and football runner-up.

I will second Fernando Bryant as one of the best I ever saw play in HS.

Best athlete I ever stepped on the field with was Jermaine Copeland. Before being the starting WR for Tennessee’s national champion team, he led Harriman to the state basketball championship and football runner-up.
I remember seeing that Harriman team win the state championship in basketball...I think it was '95. From what I remember Harriman had a ton of guys that could dunk the ball which wasn't as common back then as it is today.

I remember seeing that Harriman team win the state championship in basketball...I think it was '95. From what I remember Harriman had a ton of guys that could dunk the ball which wasn't as common back then as it is today.

Alvin Duke was the fastest person I ever stepped on a field against in HS and Chad Pennington was probably the most famous/successful, but I never played an overall athlete better than Jermaine. Our district games were laughable growing up against Harriman.

For small school TN high school basketball, it was hard to beat the talent on the court when Harriman and Sweetwater played in 94 & 95.

Fun seeing a lot of great names mentioned in this thread. Murfreesboro folks have had lots of great opportunities with the TSSAA basketball championships being at Murphy Center over the years and the city has been a Title Town for football over the years between the dominance of Riverdale and Oakland.

That said, mtfblue mentioned the name Tim Corder. Although he spent two years at MTSU, his high school dominance never really transferred to college but IMO he was the most dynamic, electrifying, entertaining high school player I ever saw. Thin as a rail and lightning fast, he was a treat to watch.

Football wise one that I don't believe was mentioned was Eric Locke. I remember Dr. O Tom Johns looking at me one playoff game where Locke virtually made ever defender miss on his way to a TD and say "we are really watching something special." I have never seen such a dominant high school talent. Yet again, the college game passed him by - unfortunately, probably due to his own off the field mistakes.

Lots of others have gone on to have more success (like Fernando Bryant, James Howse, Dennis Harrison, etc.) but Corder and Locke were my top two to watch on the high school level.

Reactions: mtfblue
I don't follow high school all that much, but probably Andrew Whitworth out of West Monroe HS; went on to have a very successful NFL career as tackle/guard.

As for TN, I'tavius Mathers as RB at Blackman. He rushed for 2,253 yards and 27 touchdowns as a senior after rushing for 2,614 yards and 29 TDs as a junior.

Fun seeing a lot of great names mentioned in this thread. Murfreesboro folks have had lots of great opportunities with the TSSAA basketball championships being at Murphy Center over the years and the city has been a Title Town for football over the years between the dominance of Riverdale and Oakland.

That said, mtfblue mentioned the name Tim Corder. Although he spent two years at MTSU, his high school dominance never really transferred to college but IMO he was the most dynamic, electrifying, entertaining high school player I ever saw. Thin as a rail and lightning fast, he was a treat to watch.

Football wise one that I don't believe was mentioned was Eric Locke. I remember Dr. O Tom Johns looking at me one playoff game where Locke virtually made ever defender miss on his way to a TD and say "we are really watching something special." I have never seen such a dominant high school talent. Yet again, the college game passed him by - unfortunately, probably due to his own off the field mistakes.

Lots of others have gone on to have more success (like Fernando Bryant, James Howse, Dennis Harrison, etc.) but Corder and Locke were my top two to watch on the high school level.
Eric was born my senior year in college at Memphis St. Juicy and Debbie were living in married student housing. Juicy had him doing pull-ups as a baby. 😂
His college career went sideways when he left Alabama (where he started as a freshman WR) for Knoxville, Fulmer and Condredge. Sad story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT