ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB Old Dominion, 6PM, Saturday, January 16, 2016

ODU's record seems a bit deceptive... tho they are 6-10, they're 2-2 in conference with a win over Charlotte. They'll be a tough go but I think we get this one.

Interesting note from RealTimeRPI -- the Charlotte win was our best of the year! And that was after Olivia Jones's departure. That's a good sign.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Well that sucked! I normally don't harp on the ref's but this bunch cost us the game. Our post players were mugged and pushed the whole game. If the ref's had called all the fouls when ODU came over our backs they would have all fouled out. The pony tailed ref was terrible. They out rebounded us something awful and a lot of them should have been over the back calls that were not called. If the girl shot that last shot 100 time from that distance I really doubt she would make another. I still like this team because they did not give up.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Can't tell you how angry I was with the officials. It was pretty ridiculous. And Jennie Simms with the attitude really got to me. It was awesome when she fouled out b/c she clapped in Abbey Sissom's face then fouled her like 10 seconds later. What a *****. :)

Article in this morning's Columbia Daily Herald on Timmons. She is quoted as saying she was on MT's recruiting list but Insell marked her off because she wasn't quick enough.

Her being on ODU's squad and hitting the winning shot against the LRs brings up the Gilbert sisters (also from Columbia) who are both contributors (one starter - the other 25+ minutes per game) for the 13-5 (only non Top 20 loss was at Indiana) Chattanooga Lady Mocs. I've always wondered how hard we recruited each of them. Going back to Insell's Shelbyville days there weren't many positive feelings toward his program in Maury Co. Doubt this isn't still hurting MT but ???

If he told her she wasn't quick enough to play for us he has truly lost his mind. There is no way she isn't quicker than all of our guards with the exception of Ty.

she was the #15 player in the state, and 31st player in the country at her position. 3* by espn with a grade 90%. So who did we take instead? he is losing touch with reality if he said she wasn't quick enough, sounds like she wanted to come here.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Wow, that's not a good look for Insell's recruiting if he screwed up that bad...

All I will say is sometimes coaches know more than the sideline fans and that helps them pick the players they want. The one thing I noticed was she shot every time she got the ball in her hands which might have been his problem.
I noticed on another board one of their posters stated he was, " glad she put a dagger in his heart." The poster must really hate Insell or have an axe to grind for posting something like that. I dislike a lot of people but don't think I would go that far. Must be a real MT fan.

Maybe some people just love him so much that they have blinders on. He over looked a player that was in his back yard and she went to a conference rival 2 states away and comes back and drains the game winning shot and tell her she is not quick enough. These players are starting to speak there mind about coaches and recruiting nationally. What player besides Ty, is quicker then her on the team. I'm that poster that said it on the other board. Stop blindly followi8ng and start watching without the blue shades on things will get better for the university. The man is out of touch with todays athletes.

Thought that was you just wanted to make sure so I smoked u out. I'm not so blind I caught you. I support MT and I don't like all the coaches. And people like you are the reason todays players need safe spaces and trophies for just competing. We just had a local player he recruited quit the team because she was not a team player and did not want to put forth the effort like the rest of the team. I would imagine you were all for that player coming to MT when he recruited her. Maybe he saw something that threw a red flag to him from Timmons. I guess Roe, Clark ,Holt and Edwards came because he was out of touch with todays players.
Do I agree with everything Insell does? Hell no. I'm not the coach, he is so he can recruit who he wants. Are you a coach? Do you coach at a D1 school? I don't know if Timmons wanted to come to MT, if she did then she just got him back and can remind him every time we play them. Is it the end of the world? I don't think so. A lot of local players want to get away from home and spread their wings. Some do good while others end up coming back to the middle TN area after they leave and play closer to home. If he recruited just the good players from TN somebody would bitch because he didn't try for players from out of state.
Every coach has a down year and some more than others. Mt has a young team 5 freshman (1 redshirted) , 3 sophomores,1Jr. and 3 Seniors of which only one starts. Am I expecting an NCAA run? Not really, but I will support the team and the coach because I support MT.
As for your "Dagger in the heart commit" I think you just have a dislike for Insell that overrides your support for MT.

Can't believe everything that you read, I absolutely hate participation trophies, for the people like me comment. Is it that she wasn't a team player or is that what you were told by him or someone in the know or did you read that? Just like they said she was suspended, and she came out and said that was a lie. All I'm saying is the man has lost today's player, and he gets a pass on everything since he is all rah rah at every event. And the other coaches that aren't there get reamed if they miss on a player that goes to a conference rival, hell stock gets bashed if they go low level p5. He turns a girl away that sounds like she wanted to be here and she goes to a conference rival and comes back to put the dagger in him, with the game winning shot. You didn't have to smoke me out I use my real name on the other board since its inception, but its all good. Keep blindly supporting and where are the sweet 16 and elite 8's? The teams are getting worse every year and you can't win with asun, ovc and Sunbelt players. Peace and have a good night.

I am makayla timmons brother.the daily herald misquoted what she said.she didnt say he said i wasnt fast enough.she said that she didnt respond fast enough.meaning that he offered her a schloraship and she was taking too long "in his eyes" to give him an answer.she was weighing her options with other schools and didnt have a decision made.She loved her recruiting visit,i was there with her.our whole family loved the recruiting visit to be honest.mtsu was second on her list behind West Virginia(which was recruiting her hard as well but didnt offer).HE did recruit her and the gilbert girls as hard as he could.he and/or his staff were at alot of her games towards the end of her freshman year.they also recruited her heavily during the summer while she was playing for Nike flight.wHen we returned back from nike nationals her final year playing for nike flight,he wanted an answer because he was interested in another guard.she wasnt ready to give him one so a week and an half later,the offer came off the table and he got a commit from another guard.that's business and i completely understand it.he still has to get players and he cant wait for my sister or any child endlessly because he could miss out on players that want to b there.He is a great person and very genuine as well.she wanted him to wait longer for her to make a decision but he couldnt.i dont think he is out of touch with todays players but that's my opinion(no disrespect to anyone else opinions).she does hate insell or mtsu by any means.she played alongside or against majority of mtsu players that are on the team now.It was a surreal moment for her to come home against mtsu and not only win but to hit the game winner.im not on here to start a big controversy that includes makayla or old dominion or mtsu or rick insell.i just wanted to clear up what i have seen being said.i apologize if i rub anyone the wrong way or if what she said or did that rubbed anyone the wrong way.mtsu is a good team and they shouldnt be bashed by any means for the result on saturday.they played a hell of a game.i wish them the best as they continue their season

Also she didnt shoot the ball everytime that she got it.she had some turnovers because she was looking to pass.When Jennie went out the game,someone had to be more aggressive and she chose to b that player.she took four shots after Jennie fouled out.the shots were the midrange she hit at the foul line to put them within 4,the layup attempt she missed(i forgot that score),the 8 footer she missed when she drove baseline,and the game winning shot.

Also she didnt shoot the ball everytime that she got it.she had some turnovers because she was looking to pass.When Jennie went out the game,someone had to be more aggressive and she chose to b that player.she took four shots after Jennie fouled out.the shots were the midrange she hit at the foul line to put them within 4,the layup attempt she missed(i forgot that score),the 8 footer she missed when she drove baseline,and the game winning shot.

Don't get me wrong I think she is a real good player, ODU is lucky to have her. I also don't see any slow in her game. I'd take her in a heartbeat. I like aggressive.

Thank u for the compliment trubluecop.the shot also made top ten plays on sportscenter that night so this has been a once in a lifetime situation.she has been doing interviews and everything.its quite shocking that this is going on.also i wanted to add y she chose odu.she chose odu because of coach barefoot.she loved how passionate and energetic she is as a coach.she loved how coach barefoot already made her feel like a daughter before she decided to commit.she loved the way the teammates made her feel comfortable.she loved the facilities and the plans that they have for the near future.she loved the environment on the campus and around the city.her major(which is in the medical field) compliments the city because of all the hospitals and the navy being there.if anyone would like to see it her interview for the virginia news its on youtube.i dont know how to put the link on her but it is called "The Shot Heard From heaven". Also i think the video of the shot of it being on espn is on youtube somewhere

Bigdippa: You said that Insell recruited the Gilbert girls "as hard as he could". Would I be correct in assuming from your statement that the sisters were both offered (a hard offer) by MT and chose to go with Foster and UT-C.

MT fans have a hard time knowing who we are recruiting, have offered, and (perhaps because Insell got burned early in his tenure) who we lost in the recruiting process.

I don't understand why we think Timmons is such a huge miss for Insell. Before the final shot, she was 1-7 shooting and was obviously not the one that they wanted taking that final shot. She just threw it up with a prayer and it was answered. She doesn't look like a scorer and she didn't pass the ball very well either. She just had one lucky shot that happened to be a game winner.

And yes she didnt pass the ball well.she is a natural 2 but she is undersized so she has to play pg.for columbia central,she was a scorer.and for nike flight she was the sg for flight cus crystal dangerfield and paris lawson were the point guards.so this is her first time actually having to b a pg(at the d1 college level after she just had a high school career that she had a different head coach all four years)and no she didnt shoot the ball well but hey that happens to every single player that has ever played basketball from time to time.but she will b fine.thanks for your opinion though

You are wlcome.He does go out and recruit the highly touted prospects EXTREMELY HARD SO he is doing his job.some you get,some you dont.that's part of it

I don't understand why we think Timmons is such a huge miss for Insell. Before the final shot, she was 1-7 shooting and was obviously not the one that they wanted taking that final shot. She just threw it up with a prayer and it was answered. She doesn't look like a scorer and she didn't pass the ball very well either. She just had one lucky shot that happened to be a game winner.

Would love to have her here but at this time she is averaging 3.0 points per game. Sure those numbers will improve as her career moves forward but don't see anyone complaining about CRI recruiting Alex Johnson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT