ADVERTISEMENT

Official Collective is Here

Long overdue, I’ll still spend my money on the school and not players but if they get together some things to give out I might be interested.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Long overdue, I’ll still spend my money on the school and not players but if they get together some things to give out I might be interested.
That's my thought. If I didn't already give to BRAA, I might feel different. But I'm gonna need an enticement to give $ that is going directly to the players. Simply because I know my money management skills weren't great in college, and I doubt I was by myself in that boat.

I'm not talking crazy things, just those that aren't always available to the general public. Game/practice used footballs, signed posters, game jerseys, shirts jackets, etc. Set up monthly membership levels where every member gets a tumbler or Nike Raiders Rising hat, but also are entered for giveaways like field level passes, courtside seats, luxury box tickets, etc. Things that really won't break their bank to entice us to break ours. Lol. There are plenty of examples out there to follow, and be a bit different from.

Following.

I’m interested to see how this shakes out. I’ve no problem kicking a little money towards our guys.

If you want to keep players and win championships it is the only way.

I understand people are hesitant to give money to temperamental young kids, but that's the name of the game these days. Adapt or die

Im not the biggest X guy, but how do we give? Is there a link on there? Sadly this is the way.

New perk of NIL is a partnership to where you can but jerseys (normal ($100), shirt ($35), hoodie ($60), and sweater ($54) are the options) for individual athletes. Seems like the only have current sports up so if you want football, you can go to all sports tab and then "NCAA Football" filter.

Reactions: Matt Dossett
If you want to keep players and win championships it is the only way.

I understand people are hesitant to give money to temperamental young kids, but that's the name of the game these days. Adapt or die
If I’m gonna give money to kids, it will be my grandkids. Not a “student-athlete” on a full ride for 4, 5 or in special circumstances even 6 years. But you guys do what you feel.

If I’m gonna give money to kids, it will be my grandkids. Not a “student-athlete” on a full ride for 4, 5 or in special circumstances even 6 years. But you guys do what you feel.
I’m kinda in the same boat.

It’s not because I don’t want to give to the collective / BRAA / NIL, it’s that I don’t have the money. There isn’t a LOT of room in the budget

New perk of NIL is a partnership to where you can but jerseys (normal ($100), shirt ($35), hoodie ($60), and sweater ($54) are the options) for individual athletes. Seems like the only have current sports up so if you want football, you can go to all sports tab and then "NCAA Football" filter.

Those are actually nice jerseys. I've had an authentic football for years that I won in a giveaway. My wife got me a basketball one from AT for Christmas. I just wanted a jersey to display but benefit was King getting some $ simply because I wanted #10. They have sales often. She signed up for texts and got 15% off.

I've said before though for the tees and hoodies, if I'm paying that much, they should be Nike or something too.

Reactions: Hop45
I’m kinda in the same boat.

It’s not because I don’t want to give to the collective / BRAA / NIL, it’s that I don’t have the money. There isn’t a LOT of room in the budget
We all are that way. That's why I'm only at the $250 BRAA level. I'd be higher if I could, but right now the kids and paying the house off come first. And if I have to choose NIL or BRAA, it will always be BRAA. If I throw any extra it'll be to BuildBlue or NIL once they entice me enough with the benefits.

We all are that way. That's why I'm only at the $250 BRAA level. I'd be higher if I could, but right now the kids and paying the house off come first. And if I have to choose NIL or BRAA, it will always be BRAA. If I throw any extra it'll be to BuildBlue or NIL once they entice me enough with the benefits.
Glad I’m not the only one.

Wife and I are almost to the “nickel and dime” approach (cutting 2-3 subs) to save $20 a month just so we could put a little in savings or toward my son’s college fund

Those merch prices aren't THAT bad. Assuming the jerseys are authentic and on brand...

Those merch prices aren't THAT bad. Assuming the jerseys are authentic and on brand...
They are Athlete's Thread branded. I modded mine a bit since the wife has a Cricut. Changed the tag and added the Nike & CUSA logos. Folded it up to hide the AT tag at the bottom. For $85 I'm happy.

It's not my football jersey that came from MT Equipment, but still looks good in my office for sure.

Reactions: ewglenn
And if I have to choose NIL or BRAA, it will always be BRAA.

Why? What’s the difference?

One goes into the pockets of admins and (mis)management, the other goes to the kids who will actually be playing for your team.

But I really don’t think the NIL collective is a bad idea.

In fact, it might be the most direct way to influence on field success.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
They are Athlete's Thread branded. I modded mine a bit since the wife has a Cricut. Changed the tag and added the Nike & CUSA logos. Folded it up to hide the AT tag at the bottom. For $85 I'm happy.

It's not my football jersey that came from MT Equipment, but still looks good in my office for sure.

Those are slick

Why? What’s the difference?

One goes into the pockets of admins and (mis)management, the other goes to the kids who will actually be playing for your team.

But I really don’t think the NIL collective is a bad idea.

In fact, it might be the most direct way to influence on field success.
100% it is the most direct way and as Wiley said, the way things are now.

I'm just still slightly old fashioned and support BRAA first for scholarships. Providing them an education is more important to me than just giving them money.

That being said, actual graduation is quickly becoming less and less important for student athletes, and if I want my team to win, NIL is where it is going to be. Sadly athletes aren't like me and their allegiance isn't to a school itself. It is essentially akin to buying wins, but it is what it is now. Do as other do or get left behind.

I’m with you. I’m hoping to retire early. Kudos to those that give to the NIL.

After much thought, it’s not for me.

Just now learning that a big Stock defender is one of the founders of the collective immediately disqualifies them from getting any money from me.
I totally see that. And I'm not fully defending him and others like him as they said things I don't agree with at all.

That said, since that mess I've paid attention to what players at other schools say and do, like portal etc, when a coach leaves or is fired. I've learned for athletes it is totally different than my college experience as their allegiance is to a coach, sometimes not even head, rather than to the school. Athletics was merely a tool to use to get through a college, not necessarily my college.

Now, do I think there should be allegiance to the diploma, 100%. But I understand more where those types of feelings are coming from. Again, I don't totally agree with it, but I understand. Example, Mason picked up several players he has coached previously. They are here because of him, not because he is at MT.

EDIT...after I typed that it dawned in me you played, right? So I'm probably not saying anything you don't know or have seen. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Just now learning that a big Stock defender is one of the founders of the collective immediately disqualifies them from getting any money from me.
I will give Jeff credit, he is consistent in his hatred for me lol. I will say I don’t doubt he loves MTSU. I’m okay with someone that differs from my view leading this as it has nothing to do with loyalty and everything to do with basically running a business and Jeff does do that for a living.

I’m meeting de Leon next week to discuss fundraising. If anyone has any questions you’d want to ask him let me know. This collective group sounds pretty strong.

It's just something I will have to prioritize. I have two in college and single income now. I retire from military in 2 1/2 months, so i will have to see how that shakes out after finding new career.

I've stayed away recently, just surpassed the one-year mark since my wife passed, so I just been there for my kids. I hope to be back to normal soon.

I’m meeting de Leon next week to discuss fundraising. If anyone has any questions you’d want to ask him let me know. This collective group sounds pretty strong.

Hopefully it is.

I know there are not many people keen on giving kids money directly. But that is the way now.

It's just something I will have to prioritize. I have two in college and single income now. I retire from military in 2 1/2 months, so i will have to see how that shakes out after finding new career.

I've stayed away recently, just surpassed the one-year mark since my wife passed, so I just been there for my kids. I hope to be back to normal soon.

Sorry for your loss DA. I pray blessings be upon you.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
is trading our stars for their busts really something you're interested in ?
Hopefully some of those guys are dudes who just need a chance to get on the field.

I had a great meeting with Lee the other day. Our collective has a chance to make a difference if we can find the right avenues for raising money. I’m definitely up for raising and giving money to this. From my perspective I’m giving to top basketball talent and quarterbacks.

Hopefully some of those guys are dudes who just need a chance to get on the field.

Yeah, hopefully. The problem is, traditionally, they're just busts.

Meanwhile, we are losing known commodities that have proven they are solid to really good D1 players.

Doesn't seem like a fair or desirable trade/outcome to me.

I can't be the only person who is tired of the rich stealing from everyone they can and the money always flowing up. Both in sports and elsewhere.

Reactions: subkyle
If you listened to Derek Mason on the Blue Raider Podcast episode, he said the focus of NIL in his program will be on roster retainment, keeping those players here. So we will see

If you listened to Derek Mason on the Blue Raider Podcast episode, he said the focus of NIL in his program will be on roster retainment, keeping those players here. So we will see

Of course. We have a hard time keeping our good players here. It would make no sense to spend the money trying to buy players from other teams.

Still, I don't know how much it will matter. I heard at some point all our basketball players were getting 30k/year. I'm not sure if this is still being paid out to them.

Despite this, we still lost our leading scorer last year (Eli Lawrence) to TAMU (who paid him nothing to go there). So we couldn't even keep our leading scorer and lost him to a Power 5 that paid him nothing

Of course. We have a hard time keeping our good players here. It would make no sense to spend the money trying to buy players from other teams.

Still, I don't know how much it will matter. I heard at some point all our basketball players were getting 30k/year. I'm not sure if this is still being paid out to them.

Despite this, we still lost our leading scorer last year (Eli Lawrence) to TAMU (who paid him nothing to go there). So we couldn't even keep our leading scorer and lost him to a Power 5 that paid him nothing
Yeah obviously you’re still going to lose some guys to P4 in this era no matter what. Just is what it is.

But the grass isn’t always greener as Lawrence averaged 7 minutes per game and 2.5 points per game. So the P4 guys looking for an opportunity to play as well could theoretically be just as good as the basketball team has King/JCJ making huh impacts for this team after coming that route.

The G5 level is going to lose guys no matter what so a lot of the time they’re going to have to continue to bring in underappreciated guys for a lack of better terms whether through the portal, overseas, or domestic recruiting

Try to tell these overconfident college kids the grass isn't always greener. I agree with you that it's not, but these kids think they're going to the NBA or NFL. And it doesn't matter if they're riding the bench or starting somewhere else because once they're gone they're gone.

I have no confidence in McDevitt when it comes to a plug & play roster. The very little success he's had here at MT has come from junior/senior laden & experienced teams. Hard to have that when your good experienced players are always leaving.

With football I don't even care anymore. 100% lost cause in my opinion. Last year our entire defensive line (and really the whole front 7) entered the portal. The year before that our whole offensive line left. MT will never been able to retain talent and the only time G5's are ever any good is when they have "old" rosters filled with good junior and senior players. That won't be a thing for us anymore.

Try to tell these overconfident college kids the grass isn't always greener. I agree with you that it's not, but these kids think they're going to the NBA or NFL. And it doesn't matter if they're riding the bench or starting somewhere else because once they're gone they're gone.

I have no confidence in McDevitt when it comes to a plug & play roster. The very little success he's had here at MT has come from junior/senior laden & experienced teams. Hard to have that when your good experienced players are always leaving.

With football I don't even care anymore. 100% lost cause in my opinion. Last year our entire defensive line (and really the whole front 7) entered the portal. The year before that our whole offensive line left. MT will never been able to retain talent and the only time G5's are ever any good is when they have "old" rosters filled with good junior and senior players. That won't be a thing for us anymore.
I completely agree on the part about the kids not believing it. What I meant by that tho is that getting someone who didn’t produce at a P5 isn’t necessarily a bad pickup basically.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT