ADVERTISEMENT

Observations on Bama game....

MTsumner92

All American
Jul 31, 2005
Hendersonville
First and foremost I want to say that I was proud to see the fight in our team. They never gave up. Second of all there were times when we looked like a really good football team and there were times when we looked like we need to go take the football 101 course. Especially the punter and the guys that cannot hold on to the football. Outside containment and properly lining up on the line of scrimmage is another thing they need to re-visit. We have the makings of a very good football team. Potentially the best I have seen in the Stockstill era.

Stockstill has a good arm. He protects the football well and was forced to take some chances in the second half. The only thing the coaches need to decide is whether Stock should lead the receivers so much or not. Either the receiver needs to assume that is what Stock is going to do or Stock needs to hit them where they are. This can be fixed. I was baffled as to why Stock was chosen over Grammer but after seeing his arm yesterday I clearly got it. He is going to be a good one.

Our receiver play has been much better this year than last. Good hire and tough decision by Stock. It was the right decision though. How about JAMES! He definitely burst on the scene yesterday. He is a great compliment to Battise. Those guys along with our Tight Ends are going to light it up this year. We are going to finally see some serious basketball on grass. Oh and btw we got hosed on that interference call in the 3rd quarter. The ref that called it could clearly not see the exchange that was taking place between the wr and db. It was a huge call because it really turned the momentum there in the 3rd.

Our OL gave us enough time to pass but struggled in the run. Overall they did ok but very good considering our starting LG and LT were not in the game and we had a TRUE freshman play the most important position on the OL. Yikes! He did ok though and got some help at times from the TE position. This also limited the number of targets Stock had most of the day. We must fix the Center to QB snap. Chester must get it together quickly or we need to find a center that can be more consistent in making that snap.

Special teams needs a lot of work. Nuff said.

I thought our Defensive line was outstanding yesterday. They penetrated well and consistently put some pressure on their QB. A sight for sore eyes my friends. The Sack-o-meter is going to get lit up this year. If you go watch the film watch Hale getting held all day and it only got called one time. Almost as if the refs only had to check the one holding call box on their ref card and then move on. It was ridiculous. Hale was giving their right tackle fits. He was very competitive against the run. We finally have a good pair of DE's. Our DT's got penetration as well. We have something here folks.

Cornerback play was ok and Coutrer at times made some great instinctive plays. He has a ton of potential. What a blessing. Our linebackers seemed quiet yesterday which is odd. The Byard call makes me question the spearing rule. If the officials keep these questionable calls up then they are going water down this sport to the point where it is not entertaining anymore. Just food for thought.

I am in it to win it after seeing what I saw yesterday. Onto Charlotte and GO BLUE RAIDERS!!!!

I see nothing wrong with how Stock is leading the receivers....they need to catch the ball if it hits their hands. We moved the ball well, just couldn't finish drives, usually due to turnover or dropped passes.

We got down to their 3 and tried to get cute and fumbled the ball. We missed a makeable field goal. When you think about it we should have put up at least 20 points on the #2 team in the country. I love our potential we just have to see it come to fruition

Reactions: MTsumner92
From what I saw of the Bama game, I did not see anything problems with Brent's leading (or not leading) of the receivers. Leading (or not leading a WR) depends on individual route, passing concept, or coverage

There were two that stuck out but every throw can't be perfect. One to Parker that he missed and one that Batties caught but it got him off balance and changed the play. I don't think it's a problem. Just an off target throw. It happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT