ADVERTISEMENT

Next year at quarterback

I thought Shiflett was going to be a favorite to move back to QB and compete. Nobody is talking about him?

Briefly spoke recently to a local H S FB coach (and college player for 4 yrs.) who was at the Championship Game. Didn't make much of the snafu at the end of the game. His premise was that MT lost the game when they had to settle for FGs when in the red zone 3 times earlier in the game. And, again according to him, much of the fault was on the WRs who, in his words, "let him (referring to the QB) down by not catching catchable balls. By his analyses the WR group was not performing.

That’s a good take. Can’t settle for FGs after moving the ball so well to get into the RZ. Somebody has to make a play. Have to give UAB D some credit as well, they had the sack and a goal line stand. If we go up 21-3, they are not coming back.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
Briefly spoke recently to a local H S FB coach (and college player for 4 yrs.) who was at the Championship Game. Didn't make much of the snafu at the end of the game. His premise was that MT lost the game when they had to settle for FGs when in the red zone 3 times earlier in the game. And, again according to him, much of the fault was on the WRs who, in his words, "let him (referring to the QB) down by not catching catchable balls. By his analyses the WR group was not performing.
One would think that out of those 30 WRs on the roster that they could find 2 or 3 who could catch a football.

Reactions: Hop45
You'd also think that the one guy who was making plays would have been used at WR (Dobson). If they would have faked a sweep and moved him back in the X before the snap, no one would have caught him. Use what you have. It ain't hard. Yes, I agree that we left 4 TD's on the table and had to settle for FG's. We also abandoned the screen which was killing them in the 1st quarter. If Franklin was up in the box, this is a different game. Much different.

In a radio interview yesterday on wnsr, Wes Counts said he doesn't think the starting 2019 QB is on campus yet...

We signed 3 in the last class - O'Hara, Nolan, and Shiflett, and none of them can play?

Are we actually bothering to recruit anyone? Or are we just giving 'ships out to whomever is willing to sign on the line with the least amount of effort put in by the coaches?

Reactions: MTOleBlue
We signed 3 in the last class - O'Hara, Nolan, and Shiflett, and none of them can play?

Are we actually bothering to recruit anyone? Or are we just giving 'ships out to whomever is willing to sign on the line with the least amount of effort put in by the coaches?

I think Wes said 'no disrespect' to the QBs currently on the roster, but he thinks THE next QB is not on campus yet. Not sure who we are recruiting. Maybe there's a grad transfer lurking out there? I have no idea. I remember Wes was the local kid, recruited by Boots, and not given a whole lot of love by McCollum but there he was, still standing and starting as a senior and leading the team in 2001 and holding a lot of records.

I am anxious to see how it all plays out.

Reactions: MT Glenn and Hop45
I think lost in all the sauce here is that MT may arguably have the best defense in CUSA next year. That's going to afford whoever the QB is time to find themselves within the offense.

Shiflett is/was the most heralded of the bunch. Talent level is pretty similar/equal to O'Hara for sure. If you ask me, Nolan has the best arm of the bunch, by far. And oh yeah, they may bring one in with this next class.

There will be a healthy battle next year for sure. But the defense will be the unit that let's things play out at a healthy pace.

I don't think we know...we only really saw O'Hara and he played well for his very first time with no first team reps.

We will be OK, MT has always had a decent QB, I think we will find one again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT