ADVERTISEMENT

Next year at quarterback

BRaiderDave

All American
Jul 26, 2005
I see that there are no QB commits as of yet for next year's signing class. Are we going to go into fall with just the guys on the roster now?

They've got O'Hara and Nolan at QB right now. I liked O'Hara from what little we saw.

Also on the roster are Shiflett, and John Turner, but their at different positions. I figure they can move back for spring.

But that room gets real thin real quick if one of them transfers or gets hurt, so you'd think QB would be a target this year.

We'll have to see who we sign. If we sign one - got to make sure we have enough 'ships for wide receivers that don't play, can't afford to waste one on a QB.

Franklin,

On a different topic, am I imagining things or did you say somewhere that you played ball at Memphis?

Next year will not be a dumpster fire like the bball program is this year. Our D should be strong next year. If we find adequate replacements on the O line then we are in business except for QB. That is the main question mark in my mind.

Y’all may be surprised at our offensive production next year. If it’s Shiflett or O’hara I think we actually will see what Franklin can do with a true dual threat QB. With returning skill guys ( getting Anderson back) it could be fun to watch. Different... but potentially very good Nolan will be similar to Brent in style... maybe not as much of a run threat. Could have a new guy come in.... who knows. The unknown is not always a bad thing.

Reactions: Hop45
Y’all may be surprised at our offensive production next year. If it’s Shiflett or O’hara I think we actually will see what Franklin can do with a true dual threat QB. With returning skill guys ( getting Anderson back) it could be fun to watch. Different... but potentially very good Nolan will be similar to Brent in style... maybe not as much of a run threat. Could have a new guy come in.... who knows. The unknown is not always a bad thing.
So, this Cunningham kid who came in for Lil Stock this year is pretty much roster filler?

He came in when there was no question on outcome just to hand ball off so as to not burn redshirt year for O’Hara. Your real contenders for next year are O’Hara Shiflett Nolan ( in no order) or someone new. Just don’t see Cunningham seriously contending for the job. Shiflett will be true sophomore, O’Hara redshirt sophomore, Nolan redshirt freshman.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
OHara is more of a prototypical Franklin type QB like a Omar Haugabook or a Dasher. Dual threat with an ability to escape pressure to create.

Shiflett as well... prob little faster. O’Hara May be a little more shifty but I believe Shiflett is faster. Arm talent is prob very similar. Nolan prob has strongest arm of the three

Replacing 4-year starting QB = hardest thing to do in all of college football.

I say MT would repeat in hoops last year. Even my own MT brothers laughed me off the C-USA board. We lost too much. We don't know about Nick King. Etc. Etc. What happened? We won the league again. I say long year year in hoops this season. People here say .500 season. LMAO.

I say long year in football next year. I can already here we're ok. We have all the pieces. We got this and that and this. LMAO. Four wins will be tough tough to come by next year. But y'all carry on and tell me how great we will be with these kids.

Yes replacing an accomplished player is tough but schools do it all the time. You just never know when the next one is also really good. Find a QB and there are many pieces to build around

Reactions: Hop45
Yes replacing an accomplished player is tough but schools do it all the time. You just never know when the next one is also really good. Find a QB and there are many pieces to build around
Oklahoma sure did this year. (No, I am in no way equating where we are with OK, so don't even go there :)

Replacing 4-year starting QB = hardest thing to do in all of college football.

I say MT would repeat in hoops last year. Even my own MT brothers laughed me off the C-USA board. We lost too much. We don't know about Nick King. Etc. Etc. What happened? We won the league again. I say long year year in hoops this season. People here say .500 season. LMAO.

I say long year in football next year. I can already here we're ok. We have all the pieces. We got this and that and this. LMAO. Four wins will be tough tough to come by next year. But y'all carry on and tell me how great we will be with these kids.

I’m guessing we will go 7-5 +/- 1. Because that’s what Stock has always done.

BTW, you have reached Wiley levels of negativity recently. Try to find the positives - even in a typical 7-5 +/- 1 year, we somehow won our Division, as bad as our basketball team is, it can only get better from here, Massaro actually fired our baseball coach after years of us calling for change, and your degree is not from WKU. See it’s all about perspective. It could be worse.

As great as Brent was, TF and this offense is designed to produce successful QBs. It's pretty much next man up.

I know he set all sorts of records, but alot of that was done by beating a few teams 56-17 or so. Even if we take a step backwards, that means we probably beat those same dregs 38-20 instead.

Reactions: subkyle
Meh...losing Brent makes me think of when ut-k lost Peyton Manning.

I'm gonna be honest here. It feels like Tony Franklin has had to adjust his offense down to Brent for the last few years. Specifically for the last 2, we have really suffered in production. Brent has slowed down because of all of the injuries. It took it's toll on him.

Ohara came in vs. FIU with no reps whatsoever and did a great job considering the situation. Franklin has a lot he can do with him or Shiftlet. More then Brent. They are much younger and faster. That's what Franklin likes to work with. We may have a drop off but all we need is a game manager who can move outside the pocket and get the ball to his players.

Y'all don't really know Franklin that well. Franklin's offense is designed for pocket passers. He had to adjust his style for Dasher because Dasher wasn't accurate enough and was a better runner than passer.

I can assure you Franklin would rather have a Goff clone than a Dasher clone. And yes O'hara looked good running the ball but a deer in the headlights when he had to drop back. He will get better in that regard but the most important aspect of Franklin's offense is an accurate passer first and someone who can make good decisions. We have absolutely no idea if any of them meet those criteria. We also don't know what coaches we lose - which could include both Franklin and Shafer.

I can assure you Franklin would rather have a Goff clone than a Dasher clone.

Wait, did you really say that an OC would rather have a clone of 1st round draft pick that turned into an All Pro QB vs a clone a DD?

That’s insightful.

I’m guessing we will go 7-5 +/- 1. Because that’s what Stock has always done.

BTW, you have reached Wiley levels of negativity recently. Try to find the positives - even in a typical 7-5 +/- 1 year, we somehow won our Division, as bad as our basketball team is, it can only get better from here, Massaro actually fired our baseball coach after years of us calling for change, and your degree is not from WKU. See it’s all about perspective. It could be worse.

I just don't see any point in being blindly hopeful in the face of reality. I was optimistic about 2017-18 MT basketball when most were skeptical. I haven't seen a single positive out of this basketball team so far and further my realistic view on this team has also so far proven to be true. Is it negativity if it's true or is it realism? I know a lot of people like to live in a fantasy land with the sports teams they follow. That's just not a path for me.

Wait, did you really say that an OC would rather have a clone of 1st round draft pick that turned into an All Pro QB vs a clone a DD?

That’s insightful.

I'm referring to style of QB skill set not performance. That's what we were talking about no?? The fact that you would even have to ask that question. SMH

Our margin for error is so small due to all the tough OOC games...FB is such a team sport - we only usually have 9 winnable games each year. This year we could have easily gone 6-6. What's different is we play better team Defense. So the sum was better than the individual parts.

While Brent has incredible career stats and is a great player, he is a game manager. Our offense stalled plenty of times this year yet we made the championship. In fact in his four years, this years offense was the most pedestrian and wasn't that dangerous until later in the year - I think we started finding some young players that can be stars. We averaged 388 yds per game and 29 points per game in 2018

In the other BS yeas
2015 - 462 yds
2016 - 518 yds
2017 - 394 yds I find this interesting, with Brent gone half the year we produced more offense, I realize turnovers impact scoring and winning.

My point is we have enough good players that if we find a QB that Franklin is comfortable with we will be fine. He has run good offenses everywhere. I think he can adapt to what we have, he changed this year - remember the break net pace we used to play, this year we played slow and that was by design.

My point is why we won this year was more about the offense not turning the ball over than about production. If we can find a QB that isn't a turnover machine then history shows we will be decent.

Reactions: MTsumner92
I'm referring to style of QB skill set not performance. That's what we were talking about no?? The fact that you would even have to ask that question. SMH

I get what you were going for, but that’s not what you said. Kind of kills your counterpoint to JT and Lynn.

On the point, I think TF has shown his ability to adjust to the skill set of his QB & team. He has put up big numbers with a drop back passer and with some like DD. I think any pass happy OC wants a QB that is accurate and can throw first, but would love to have that with a mobile QB (see Oklahoma last yr vs this year) or Bama with a healthy Tua. Simply because that puts more pressure in the defense.

We also know TF added wrinkles through this year to play off our strengths based on. What UK and UAB coaches said.

I have no idea what kind of QBs we will have next year. Their skill set may limit opening up the playbook, but based on what O’Hara did against FIU, TF showed the instant ability to adjust. I expect TF to adjust over the course of the season to maximize whatever skill we have. Hoping we have a QB with a strong skill set, whatever that is, that can be an accurate passer that can make decisions quickly.....or is a Jared Goff clone.

Our margin for error is so small due to all the tough OOC games...FB is such a team sport - we only usually have 9 winnable games each year. This year we could have easily gone 6-6. What's different is we play better team Defense. So the sum was better than the individual parts.

While Brent has incredible career stats and is a great player, he is a game manager. Our offense stalled plenty of times this year yet we made the championship. In fact in his four years, this years offense was the most pedestrian and wasn't that dangerous until later in the year - I think we started finding some young players that can be stars. We averaged 388 yds per game and 29 points per game in 2018

In the other BS yeas
2015 - 462 yds
2016 - 518 yds
2017 - 394 yds I find this interesting, with Brent gone half the year we produced more offense, I realize turnovers impact scoring and winning.

My point is we have enough good players that if we find a QB that Franklin is comfortable with we will be fine. He has run good offenses everywhere. I think he can adapt to what we have, he changed this year - remember the break net pace we used to play, this year we played slow and that was by design.

My point is why we won this year was more about the offense not turning the ball over than about production. If we can find a QB that isn't a turnover machine then history shows we will be decent.

388 ypg and 29 ppg with Brent. That's the 64th best offense college football.

That's not all that great.

Brent was an MT all time great, but a lot of those big records are due to some really lights out freshman/soph years, and longevity. In 2017 he was hurt a lot, and in 2018 he was average.

I'm not sure those are the most gigantic shoes to fill.

He also had one of the worst offensive lines in CRS' tenure and no running game. Not to mention a platoon of receivers who couldn't get open. Brent had to perfect the backshoulder pass because none of our receivers could get behind the defense. But you are going to put that all on Brent?? Really? Yes, Brent lost some arm strength due to the Syracuse injury, but he was still deadly accurate and if he had an OL like he had his freshman year then those numbers look drastically different this year. Sometimes, I feel like you guys aren't watching the same team I was. Anyone here who thinks we replace Brent and don't miss a beat. I feel really bad for you going into next year, because your expectations are going to let you down in a big, big way.

Last edited:
I mean the poor guy was sacked almost as many times this year as he was entire career combined outside of this year. (33 to 38).

Yet, he still put up a 150+ passer rating in spite of being under constant duress and six of his eight interceptions coming from WR's who tipped balls to the defenses. Without Brent this year we win 3 or 4 games. Y'all need to get real.

I mean the poor guy was sacked almost as many times this year as he was entire career combined outside of this year. (33 to 38).

Yet, he still put up a 150+ passer rating in spite of being under constant duress and six of his eight interceptions coming from WR's who tipped balls to the defenses. Without Brent this year we win 3 or 4 games. Y'all need to get real.

No what we are saying is FB is a team game...when BS had all the weapons we won 8 games, with fewer weapons and no Oline this year we won 8 games. BS was not dynamic enough to be the difference between in 5 less wins (your projection for next year). In general, MT has also had a pretty good offense for many years with average QBs, why should next year be any different.

No what we are saying is FB is a team game...when BS had all the weapons we won 8 games, with fewer weapons and no Oline this year we won 8 games. BS was not dynamic enough to be the difference between in 5 less wins (your projection for next year). In general, MT has also had a pretty good offense for many years with average QBs, why should next year be any different.

Facts say otherwise. In games started and finished by Brent over the last three years. MT was 19-9. That's a 68% win pct. Would be 20-8 had the defense showed up in Hawaii when he was far from healthy and still threw for over 400 yards.

Other QB's were 4-7. That's a 36% win pct.

So, if you think we win 8 games without Brent this year then I'm done with the discussion. Too much delusion here.

Franklin has shown his offense is adaptable to any QB. He has had some great pro style QB's under his tutelage but he has also had some great dual-threats too. Look no further than Dasher and Omar Hugabook when Franklin was at Troy who ran for 1000 yards in 2 years at QB.

Personally I would rather have a dual threat back there but Franklin can coach both and coach both well.

Franklin has shown his offense is adaptable to any QB. He has had some great pro style QB's under his tutelage but he has also had some great dual-threats too. Look no further than Dasher and Omar Hugabook when Franklin was at Troy who ran for 1000 yards in 2 years at QB.

Personally I would rather have a dual threat back there but Franklin can coach both and coach both well.

That's a good point. Franklin is a QB guru. Let's hope he doesn't retire. Really like some of the things we did in the second half this year with the offense given we couldn't pass block that well. Or run block that well either. So, I wanted to see how much of a learning curve there is with TF in year one...
PLAYER.................QB RAT......TD/INT.......TEAM
Jared Goff..................123..........18/10..........1-11
Jenkins/Cameron.......118..........13/11..........5-7
Dasher........................126.........23/14..........10-3
Todd/Burns.................101..........7/13 ...........5-7
Haugabook.................121..........21/17..........8-5
Lorenzen....................119..........19/21..........2-9

Two things are interesting. One, his best success with a new QB came with Dasher and Haugabook, so maybe a dual threat is best for next year since he will be breaking in a green QB. Second, his best success overall came with pocket passers when in the third year of having the QB on the roster. The only places he's done that will have been La Tech and Cal. This is the only times Franklin has had a 150+ rated passer (i.e. what Brent did this year and as a freshman). Too bad Brent doesn't have one more year. Another year would have been a 4000 yard season again if history is any indication. That's what Cameron and Goff did in year three. Cameron was over 4K with 31 TD's and 5 INTS. (153 rating). Goff you already know what he did in his last year.

Facts say otherwise. In games started and finished by Brent over the last three years. MT was 19-9. That's a 68% win pct. Would be 20-8 had the defense showed up in Hawaii when he was far from healthy and still threw for over 400 yards.

Other QB's were 4-7. That's a 36% win pct.

So, if you think we win 8 games without Brent this year then I'm done with the discussion. Too much delusion here.

And if we would have had 2016 defense this year we don't win 8 games.

I am not sure what Brent's performance in 2016 has to do with this year.

We have no speed at WR right now which is why we had a dropoff in numbers with brent. We also lost Geep wade who did a fair job in protecting Brent since he was a real OL coach. Now we have 2 idiots coaching the line and Brent doesn't have time to throw. So combine the WR lack of speed with bad coaching at OL and there you go.

A dual threat QB offsets some of this because the OL doesn't have to protect the pocket as much and the WR's don't have to be fast, they just have to block downfield. A fast athlete like a Dobson mixes it up as well. We'll be fine.

Brents drop off is also a result to TF playing slow. We are not a hurry up offense anymore. Some of that may be the WR group. But by the end of the year, the group was performing.

Brents drop off is also a result to TF playing slow. We are not a hurry up offense anymore. Some of that may be the WR group. But by the end of the year, the group was
performing.

Briefly spoke recently to a local H S FB coach (and college player for 4 yrs.) who was at the Championship Game. Didn't make much of the snafu at the end of the game. His premise was that MT lost the game when they had to settle for FGs when in the red zone 3 times earlier in the game. And, again according to him, much of the fault was on the WRs who, in his words, "let him (referring to the QB) down by not catching catchable balls. By his analyses the WR group was not performing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT