ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL NCAA surveying members about basketball tourney selectors, payouts

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
USAToday:

...The NCAA is surveying its Division I membership about potential changes to the composition of the committee that selects teams for the NCAA men’s basketball tournament.

The prospect of such changes – as well as a proposed change in how the NCAA distributes tournament revenues to Division I members – is alarming some athletics directors and conference commissioners within the Football Championship Subdivision and the segment of Division I schools that do not have football teams.

A group of those officials met here Monday at the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics annual convention to discuss these and other governance issues as Division I embarks upon a series of summer discussions that could set the tone for a rules-making cycle that culminates at the 2017 NCAA convention and the NCAA Division I Council meeting in April 2017.

The convention is where rules-making is done by schools and athlete representatives from the five wealthiest conferences – the Atlantic Coast, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12 and Southeastern – which were given the autonomy about two years ago to make changes that can apply to all Division I members. The Council is a group that votes on legislation that does apply to all Division I members

The influential Collegiate Commissioners Association will be meeting next week. Later in June, many Division I committees, as well as the Council, will be gathering.

The Men’s Basketball Oversight Committee has asked Division I members to respond to a survey concerning possible changes to the composition of the Division I Men’s Basketball Committee, according to a presentation Monday by Hofstra athletics director Jeff Hathaway, a member of the oversight committee. The survey includes the notion of expanding the selection committee, which determines the men’s basketball tournament field, from its current 10 members to either 11 or 12 and/or giving permanent seats on the committee to one representative from each of the Power Five conferences.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT