ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS MTNeeds More Airport Space for Flight Programs - Murfreesboro Doesn't Have Room for university's Aerospace Growth

Competing pilot programs

Auburn -KAUO -3 miles from campus
Auburn University Regional Airport (KAUO)

Embry Riddle - The airport is about 2 miles from the campus, a 5 minute drive under optimal conditions

Purdue university - university airport - 1 mile from campus.

Baylor university - Waco regional - 8 miles

Western Michigan - Kellogg field - 21 miles

MT - Shelbyville municipal - 21.5 miles.

This move will cost millions already.
I don't care at all about this move to keep arguing. If a kid wants to spend $220K+ to have a five minute drive to the airport at Embry Riddle, they can have at it

JDB, I really dont know why you’re so bent out of shape about this. It’s really no big deal. MT students will still fly in and out of Murfreesboro airport too

MT01, I dont know much about the Smyrna airport, but there may be landing fees there. I know they have a contract ATC tower (non-FAA) that is open daily. Because of that, I assume there are landing fees, but Im not sure

I’m sure there will be a shuttle setup to run there daily when classes are offered. I highly doubt this will substantially affect enrollment or quality of the program.

Spent the week at Osh Kosh's Air Venture. Got to visit the MT Aerospace tent/booth. Well done. We should be proud alums as the students represented the University well and we just looked good with the diamond's out front.

Anyhow, when I talked to other attendees, they immediately knew our program when I referenced it as Middle Tennessee. Had some blank stairs when I referred to the school as MTSU. Not that this is a accurate representation or that it validates the name argument. I just thought that it was interesting.

Reactions: SpaceRaider

Murfreesboro Mayor Shane McFarland

• Murfreesboro Airport back open after being closed June 18, 2023 to mid-August for extensive runway improvements.
  • Study shows Murfreesboro Airport qualifies for federal funds to have control tower. If approved, it will take 3-4 years.
  • What are the "use plans" for the old Electric Department Building and adjacent warehouse on Maple Street. Middle Tennessee Electric is moving out this weekend (9/16/2023)?
  • Discussion of downtown condo-apartment, retail, office projects.
  • Information about the developer who has been here this week to consider placng AA Minor League Baseball here, and interested in placing stadium in the Historic Bottoms Area. Initial discussion shows that Cannonsburgh could be a positive to the development. The developer speaks to City Council this Thursday (9/14/2023).

As growing as the city is, I would think that a new and larger airport would be more suitable at another location with more room available for growth.

Looks like only way to expand runway much more would be to build a tunnel with the runway on top, like at BNA.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
An airport near 840 and 24 would be much better. I’m guessing they do not want to make this a regional airport.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
An airport near 840 and 24 would be much better. I’m guessing they do not want to make this a regional airport.
I'm all in favor of a regional airport. Doesn't require passenger service.

I am also looking at aviation related businesses that could relocate here. If we are already qualified for an ATC tower, then we need to step up our game airport wise.

The people who are complaining could shut up now. I equate that to moving by a racetrack and then complaining about the car noise. Anyway...

Just imagine the maintenance facilities, etc. that could be built. Just my two cents...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT