ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS MTNeeds More Airport Space for Flight Programs - Murfreesboro Doesn't Have Room for university's Aerospace Growth

Anyone know how much MTSU paid the airport for landing fees? I would be surprised that these were waived as it offsets the cost of runway and other infrastructure repair. Not to mention the loss of fuel revenues too.

That was my thought as well.

Maybe they got a better deal (or it was the only option) in Shelbyville, where there is less traffic.
I would have thought KMQY as well. They could get more experience at a controlled airport and more experience with the longer taxi and the use of taxi diagrams on a regular basis. It would have increased the traffic counts there, which would have helped increase the funding for more controllers, etc.

Maybe SM got his pockets greased.

A year ago, my son was set on the Air Force Academy. Still Doing all the right things for a cadet to be accepted.

This last year, my son would rather not go into the academy and is interested in flight schools. Hard to beat MT’s top ten ranking in this area. I’m not too happy with the new location as a parent but I also can’t argue having a aerospace program like this within our own state.

Lebanon is a fine specimen of a metropolis and their airport is about 15 to 20 minutes from M'boro's. Yes, Sir. Fine specimen.

Another idea would be to work with NASCAR and Nashville to help them build a runway beside the Nashville Super Speedway.

Last edited:
A year ago, my son was set on the Air Force Academy. Still Doing all the right things for a cadet to be accepted.

This last year, my son would rather not go into the academy and is interested in flight schools. Hard to beat MT’s top ten ranking in this area. I’m not too happy with the new location as a parent but I also can’t argue having a aerospace program like this within our own state.
North Dakota has an excellent program as well. I got a buddy whose son goes there and loves it.
Illinois has one if I remember right. I've spent time in Champaign, nice place.

What you need to consider, when looking into aviation programs, is cost. I work as an air traffic controller, and have many co-workers who are MT alums, Embry Riddle alums, and UND alums. The ERAU and UND are consistent about talking about their $100K+ student loans. As an in-state student, I was essentially able to graduate debt-free with the Hope scholarship alone, and have the same aviation knowledge as my co-workers that went to these prestigious aviation universities.

No doubt. I have 4 kids in private school. College is on them.

Right now, nothing is beating MT.
What you need to consider, when looking into aviation programs, is cost. I work as an air traffic controller, and have many co-workers who are MT alums, Embry Riddle alums, and UND alums. The ERAU and UND are consistent about talking about their $100K+ student loans. As an in-state student, I was essentially able to graduate debt-free with the Hope scholarship alone, and have the same aviation knowledge as my co-workers that went to these prestigious aviation universities.

$100k student loans for an aviation program???!!! Good grief!

Remember when the fed took over the student loan industry? The trajectory of tuition skyrocketed soon after. It was already climbing, but once government stuck its dirty little hands even deeper into the "education" system, costs went through the roof. I can't believe so many young Americans are still buying into the scam.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
$100k student loans for an aviation program???!!! Good grief!

Remember when the fed took over the student loan industry? The trajectory of tuition skyrocketed soon after. It was already climbing, but once government stuck its dirty little hands even deeper into the "education" system, costs went through the roof. I can't believe so many young Americans are still buying into the scam.
Yes sir. I just looked up both schools. UND is approximately $32K/year for out-of-state students. ERAU is approx $55K/year. If you learn how to fly, your looking at tens of thousands more on top of that. Those costs do include if you live on campus.

MT is currently $9K/year for in-state students.

I don’t have anything against those schools, it’s just high school students don’t really think of the fact they may graduate at 22 years old already $220K+ (ERAU) in debt.

Last edited:
Ugh. Student loans. So glad I didn't have them. I was lucky age wise and my college fund was started right when Clinton took office. Stock market boomed. When I graduated my parents gave me what was left. $1800.

My wife however had a loan for Grad School. One of those that jumped big time in payment every year. So we refinanced the house to pay it off. Now, 7 years later, it would've been forgiven. Grrrrrrrr.

You are right. Kids these days just don't think about those things. I have a friend, my age, graduated 20 years ago, and is still paying off his loans. And he only went 4 years. He's refinanced them so many times I'd hate to see what he's paid in interest.

• Sad
Reactions: Demsar Fashist
I like that Mike Rowe guy myself. Wanna survive the WEF's swiftly approaching "great reset"? You know, where you'll own nothing...and be happy about it? Then make lots of friends with machinists, guys who work in tool and die shops, and people who know how to skin bucks and run trot lines.

'Merica

ZS0yLmpwZw

Yes sir. I just looked up both schools. UND is approximately $32K/year for out-of-state students. ERAU is approx $55K/year. If you learn how to fly, your looking at tens of thousands more on top of that. Those costs do include if you live on campus.

MT is currently $9K/year for in-state students.

I don’t have anything against those schools, it’s just high school students don’t really think of the fact they may graduate at 22 years old already $220K+ (ERAU) in debt.

Crazy. How can so many millions of people still fall for the scam? They're actually paying to become slaves. The borrower is slave to the lender. That's biblical.

Airlines are establishing apprenticeship programs for pilots and mechanics.

I went to the baseball game against Lipscomb and over heard a kid that is in the program talking to his parents. He was saying he is really happy with the program and is excited about Shelbyville. Seems like the students are at least receptive to it.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Crazy. How can so many millions of people still fall for the scam? They're actually paying to become slaves. The borrower is slave to the lender. That's biblical.
It cost thousands of extra money no matter what school you go to for aviation. Gas and instructors aren't free.

A 6000 decrease in flights for the year per the city’s request. Yikes! No wonder they were looking to leave.

I wonder what sort of radar coverage ZTL has down low at SYI. I cannot imagine they'll do a comparable job to BNA. I suppose the students will pay for increased Hobbs time waiting for their turn for an RNAV or whatever. There's a 141 school in my airspace that went with DA20s with a single comm and inability to fly IMC. I suppose no chief pilots anywhere have any real decision making ability.

ZME has the airspace over SYI, and they have good radar coverage. There is a bonanza fly in at least once a year at SYI and that ZME sector gets rocked. But yes, on true IFR days it’ll be one-in, one-out.

I was waiting when Shelbyville would complain.

I think the city of Murfreesboro and MT dropped this big time.

Still should be in the boro CLOSE to the school.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hop45
I was waiting when Shelbyville would complain.

I think the city of Murfreesboro and MT dropped this big time.

Still should be in the boro CLOSE to the school.
In fairness, the Murfreesboro airport is very limited for physical growth. It’s surrounded and contained by residential and commercial property. Shelbyville airport has nothing around it. Maybe that’s what made it more attractive?

In fairness, the Murfreesboro airport is very limited for physical growth. It’s surrounded and contained by residential and commercial property. Shelbyville airport has nothing around it. Maybe that’s what made it more attractive?
That’s exactly why it was more attractive. This isn’t a discussion.

I don't know the ins and outs but seems like Smyrna a)has more infrastructure and b) is closer.

Competing pilot programs

Auburn -KAUO -3 miles from campus
Auburn University Regional Airport (KAUO)

Embry Riddle - The airport is about 2 miles from the campus, a 5 minute drive under optimal conditions

Purdue university - university airport - 1 mile from campus.

Baylor university - Waco regional - 8 miles

Western Michigan - Kellogg field - 21 miles

MT - Shelbyville municipal - 21.5 miles.

This move will cost millions already.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT