ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS MTNeeds More Airport Space for Flight Programs - Murfreesboro Doesn't Have Room for university's Aerospace Growth

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Smyrna would make sense... Sewart AFB is plenty big enough
I heard they're moving them to Shelbyville. Don't know that for sure, but I live behind the airport so can't say I'll be sad to see them go.

excerpts:

. . . A report put together by Airport Director Chad Gehrke said that MTSU’s flight program has grown exponentially within the last few years. In the fall of 2017, there were 408 Professional Pilot Program students enrolled. As of last fall, this number has more than doubled to a total of 886 students within the program, which is just over a 117% increase.....

. . . One suggestion has been made by the city is for the university to implement a limit on the number of students who are able to participate in the program. The number would be determined by the university.....

. . . “We are not telling the university that they’ve got to move. I think that’s a decision that the university has to make has to make on what they really want to see their program become and turn into,” said McFarland.

I'm not a huge fan of moving the MT flight program to Lebanon or Smyrna. And I wonder if MT could move the existing facilities to either Smyrna or Lebanon.

IMO, the city dropped the ball by allowing development so close to the airport. Wish they would have expanded the airport just a bit.

We have so many alumni in the area, many of whom are wealthy and support the school. I'm sure we wouldn't have a problem raising the $$$s to buy some flat farmland close to The Boro and build our own airport.

Oh wait, . . .

Moving MT's flight program is a bandaid solution. City need to move Starplex (and its rec programs) to a new facility and expand airport that direction.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
Doesn't MT have a Boeing 747(?) out there that was flown in years ago that can't be flown out even if it is still capable of flight at this point because of the short runway?

The city and the university ought to work together for relocating the airport. I wonder the sale of the land to developers and ensuing property taxes could facilitate a move out east towards lascassas. It's not like there's not plenty of flat land out that way, and just as convenient to the university.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
The city and the university ought to work together for relocating the airport. I wonder the sale of the land to developers and ensuing property taxes could facilitate a move out east towards lascassas. It's not like there's not plenty of flat land out that way, and just as convenient to the university.
This. If the current airport is too small, it’s time to build a bigger one.

Doesn't MT have a Boeing 747(?) out there that was flown in years ago that can't be flown out even if it is still capable of flight at this point because of the short runway?

It’s a former FedEx Boeing 727. You are correct that it can’t take off due to the runway length.

This. If the current airport is too small, it’s time to build a bigger one.
A new airport is a likely pushing $500 million after all said is done. It will have to be built using a mix of private, state, and federal funds. Certainly not impossible, not if growth is a concern for the airport authority now is the time. Each year wasted is less land available

Reactions: AustinLewis
It’s a former FedEx Boeing 727. You are correct that it can’t take off due to the runway length.
Do opposing team’s charters fly into Smyrna or BNA? I think I saw somewhere that the Blue Raiders team charters fly out of Smyrna as well?
We used to charter Southern Airways DC-9’s back in the day and once had to bus from College Station to Houston Intercontinental (IAH) to fly home to Memphis because the runway was too short to take off with a full flight.

Do opposing team’s charters fly into Smyrna or BNA? I think I saw somewhere that the Blue Raiders team charters fly out of Smyrna as well?
We used to charter Southern Airways DC-9’s back in the day and once had to bus from College Station to Houston Intercontinental (IAH) to fly home to Memphis because the runway was too short to take off with a full flight.
You are correct. MT usually flies out of Smyrna.

But every visiting football ops team is going to use different charter services for their games in Murfreesboro so it’s hard to nail down where they’ll land & take off.

I’m kinda shocked ya’ll had to bus to Houston to take off. When I worked for WKU FB, we took off from the Bowling Green airport.

You are correct. MT usually flies out of Smyrna.

But every visiting football ops team is going to use different charter services for their games in Murfreesboro so it’s hard to nail down where they’ll land & take off.

I’m kinda shocked ya’ll had to bus to Houston to take off. When I worked for WKU FB, we took off from the Bowling Green airport.
That was in 1978, Austin. 😂. A&M was in still in the SWC and College Station was smaller than Oxford, MS. When we touched down, the pilot had to stand on the brakes and made a hard left turn at the end of the runway. There were cows in the field literally right below my window. Good times. When you are 20 years old you think you will live forever.😂

After reading this I get the impression the city and university do not collaborate on projects or issues impacting either one. Why am I surprised.

They've needed to expand that runway since i was in college in Aerospace. But they built developments all around there. So not sure how to handle it now. But it is another example of the University not talking with the city enough.

They've needed to expand that runway since i was in college in Aerospace. But they built developments all around there. So not sure how to handle it now. But it is another example of the University not talking with the city enough.
"Murfreesboro Planning Director Greg McKnight said he would like to include MTSU as a stakeholder in the Future Land Use Map that is set to come before the planning commission next month."

This is all you need to know about how dysfunctional the connection is between Murfreesboro and MTSU. I work as a city/economic planner in another community and believe someone from MTSU should always be part of planning discussions. They are the largest employer, have specific land-use needs, and a major economic driver to the community.

Middle Tennessee, local schools, RuCo & City gov't, and Chamber should be working together as ONE to advance the Boro.
Bingo. It really isn't that hard. Bluefield State College is here. They have agreements with the City for use of facilities (meetings, community sporting events such as karate and high school sports like basketball). The football team itself has an agreement to help maintenance of houses for families. People apply for the program and the work is done for free by the football team.

The school is in constant contact with the City board and a rep is at every meeting whether they are on the agenda or not.

If a small school with 3k students can do it, it is crazy to think that MT doesn't. Just plain laziness in my book. Shows to me the school thinks their stuff doesn't stink.

Reactions: Hop45
Airports getting landlocked are nothing new. This type of thing happens to airports across the country pretty often.

So lemme get this straight. You are going to have students drive to flipping Shelbyville for flight training? What’s that, 30 minutes?

A similar flight school at auburn university has an airport 11 minutes away.
Sidney blew this one. The city of Murfreesboro blew this one.

the law school and this are pretty bad looks if you are looking at grading them for the past 3 years

Reactions: Hop45
At Kroger here in Boro a few weeks ago, talking to a friendly employee who talks to tons of customers and has been working there for years. Out of the blue, he says to me that it seems almost everyone in Murfreesboro is really pi$$ed-off with McPhee. My paraphrase of course, but he went on to describe how he constantly hears from people how angry they are with McPhee.

This guy indicated that he knew McPhee and generally liked him personally, but he further elaborated how clueless McPhee seemed to be in reading the vibe in the room. Again, this is my paraphrase from the conversation a few weeks ago.

Of course I added that I was one of the many really angry about the job McPhee is doing. I don't know what brought up that topic that day. Nearly every time I'm in the store he is talking and friendly with customers. My point is that clearly he is a guy that does interact regularly with lots of people here in the Boro. Apparently, it's not just a bunch of malcontents on this site.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
Middle Tennessee, local schools, RuCo & City gov't, and Chamber should be working together as ONE to advance the Boro.
My eldest used to dance at one of the local dance schools and they used Tucker Theatre for their recital. When Covid hit, MTSU cancelled the contract and refused to give deposit back. They did that to several schools I was told, but I can confirm one for sure. Not a good neighbor in my opinion.

This will benefit students who live on the south side of town… Murfreesboro is too crowded as it is, so I don't see any problem with it.
I think so as well. It could very well shift students to move to that area to be closer.

Side note, Murfreesboro has done a horrible job road wise and will spend rest of my life trying to catch up.

I have a friend that chose MT (thank god) over EKU. Thye have a flight school, but its an hour away from campus. Embry has an airport on campus. Probably lose some people. Luckily its not THAT far, but it is still further than MBT.

It's ironic that the tightness of the MT campus is one reason I chose to come here.

For example, WVU. Instead of the campus being in Morgantown, Morgantown is in the campus. They have busses and a freaking tram. UT and Knoxville are the same way.

I had one class I rode my bike for in 4.5 years on campus. Had to go from Alumni Gym to Mass Comm. I never once rode the bus. I loved you could walk to everything and if you left campus, you truly left campus. Only thing off campus then was the airport.

Now MT has as much off campus as on. Horse arena, old hospital, tennis, and now the airport even further.

I understand the rationale but it takes alot away from the college experience, which I guess is changing on many fronts nowadays.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT