ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS City of Murfreesboro confronts MTSU. Complains about blighted property

TrueBlue147

All Conference
Mar 19, 2008
Murfreesboro is deteriorating into nasty Nashville and the university is a slumlord.

It will be interesting to see how MT purchased these properties. I'm assuming the TBR would have to approve, as well as our own board. Is this part of an expansion plan that no one knows of?
Phil Williams should be all over this.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
MT owns a ton of land/houses around the campus that they just sit on for decades. I agree with the city that that they shouldn't be allowed to run slum properties just because they are a state institution. If we had a decent president they would have leveraged these properties to create some synergy and make a mix used area of retail, restaurants, and residential that would make people want to hang out and live around campus. The private sector would then jump in expand the offerings in the area. Many other universities do this. Instead, we have slum houses and apartment's around our university with not much to do and lots of crime.

McPhee responds. He sounds upset that he called out on it.

He obviously had to know what was going on. He did nothing to fix things.

Reactions: MTLynn
I actually like mtsu’s game here. We aren’t a land grant institution so whatever we gotta do to make money and obtain land.

Just do things in a way where it doesn’t look bad.

I’m told The Mayor’s response to SM is already on the way. 😂😂
SM’s response sounds a lot like his rebuttal to the late Darrell Freeman a couple of years ago in one of those BOT’s meeting videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider

His reaction was photographed…

AP8409050377-e1692407909412.jpg

I’m told The Mayor’s response to SM is already on the way. 😂😂
SM’s response sounds a lot like his rebuttal to the late Darrell Freeman a couple of years ago in one of those BOT’s meeting videos.
This won’t end well for MT
Will be handled or mishandled much like the Aerospace Dept being relocated and the Mayor was a big part of that
Five of the 7 city council members are MT alums. Not sure how that figures in on this decision but if it goes the way of others MT will have egg on it’s face and Mc Phee will look unprepared and inept. As usual.
Another reason we are where we are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT