ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee vs Murray State, 6:30PM, Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Again so many more comments before the game everyone talking about how bad we were going to lose or in games where we lose comment after comment trashing this team. They finally play a good game for the most part (first half shooting was bad) and no one wants to say anything positive. What I saw tonight I am not sure if it was a fluke or not, but I liked it. Played good defense, took mostly good shots even though we missed a lot of good looks in the first half, and came out with energy on the boards. If this is something this team can put together on a consistent basis we are going to have a good year. At one point at the under 12:00 media timeout we had 5 guys waiting to check in. That is something we haven't been able to do since McDevitt has been here.

On another note the CUSATV feed was the best i has been for a home game. That is not saying much, but it wasn't unwatchable like it used to be.

This is by far the best win in CNM's rocky tenure here. Of the 64 games for him here, this is the first game I have seen the team play hard nosed defense from tip to buzzer. And they would have to have that to win this game. I don't care if you're playing a junior high team scoring 173 points in 40 minutes like Murray did in game one illustrates that point. Granted I know that was against a run and gun lower Division school that always has scores like that but still.

Rebounding, fundamentals, and defense. I've said it so many times and that defense translated into everything else working good enough.

So, now we see if they can carry this over and do it consistently.

I’m a glutton for punishment so I signed up for the CUSA video plan. I truly hate to say this but I don’t have a sense that this team is well organized/coached. Terrible shot selection, MT players taking terrible angles and players look lost occasionally on the floor. I hope something clicks soon
Something clicked

Best win in a long time. I have to admit I kept waiting for the shoe to drop. Congrats raiders it’s great,to proudly say go blue raiders

What the frick happened?! I didn't even bother with the game early on as I was doing other things. I turned on the radio late in the 2nd half and couldn't believe my ears. Up 20 late vs Murray St!!?!! Where did that come from?

Good for them. Guess I need to not bother with games from now on. Maybe then they will start winning.

I hate MT quit late in the last game, but they did have a number of minutes of reasonably decent effort. Maybe they can start putting together some good effort as a team over two halves. If so, they might actually win a game or two.

I don't know what is going on with Murray St, but in any season a win over Murray St is a good win.

Reactions: Hop45
I agree with Chip on the radio and whoever it was that said earlier in the thread; that is CNM biggest win thus far here at MT. Too bad the Murph was empty for the win.

Not sure how many heard the postgame press conference, but McDevitt said if there had been much more foul trouble Jackson would've played tonight. Should be ready to play Monday.

What the hell? How do we lose to Omaha and score in the 40's vs. ETSU and then clock Murray St. while scoring 78 points? We are living in the twilight zone. Gotta build on this and put it together. Tighten up the mistakes and we could be something.

What the hell? How do we lose to Omaha and score in the 40's vs. ETSU and then clock Murray St. while scoring 78 points? We are living in the twilight zone. Gotta build on this and put it together. Tighten up the mistakes and we could be something.
I honestly think the biggest difference was brought up by McDevitt in that they forced 40 turnovers in FL and only scored 4 total points off those turnovers. I have watched all three games and the biggest differences I saw tonight were making the extra pass to get a better shot and actually making the shot, not giving up a lot of offensive rebounds, and just effort and intensity on both sides of the ball. We still did not play that great in the first half and I was fully expecting for the game to get away from us, but it didn't. If McDevitt can capitalize on the talent on this team we are going to be really good. Jalen Jordan missed 2-3 wide open 3's in the first half and he is supposed to be our best shooter. Once he finds his stroke we are going to be tough to beat. I am anxious to see what happens over the next few games.

Tonight's game didn't look all that much different from the Omaha game.. the defense in all 3 games has held opponents to ~60 pts/gm.. getting stops and turning the opponents over has been consistent.. the difference is the shooting percentage went from 30% in both FL games to 45% tonight and the points off of turnovers was 17 tonight vs 4 total in the Gulf Coast event.. and the extra passing tonight was noticeable.. too many here were focused on the results instead of the actual differences on the defensive side of the ball.. when is the last time this team had 40 points from the bench and 4 double digit scorers.. one game isn't gonna win any prizes but it's a good start and a great response from this team after the poor results down in Florida..

Haven't posted yet since I guess I'm in shock! Really positive win last night after the disappointing start in Florida. I'm trying not to get too high but a glimpse into what may be possible this year.

Looks like I'll have to sign up for CUSAtv since they now show several games (both M & W) in their listings early in the season. (wish I had before last night). ESPN+ was already required for later in the season.

As for those of you who had trouble listening last night (which we all agree should not be a problem).
Why are we not still on 89.5?
Why does WGNS not stream their over the air broadcast?
What is the problem this year with TuneIn?
Why hasn't our number of broadcast stations expanded rather than contracted?

So many questions and chirps from Cope and Murphy.

I was able to listen on line using 94.9. Go to the 102.5 The Game web site, click on Listen Live, then click on Select Station (upper left corner) and pick 94.9. Only a couple of glitches last night which is acceptable (for a MT broadcast) since the broadcast is originating from the upper concourse.

Last edited:
Great win! Kids were spending the night at their grandparents’ house last night so the wife and I ate a nice dinner on the couch and watched the game together. My wife has turned into a real basketball fan. This morning she was telling me that it was really nice to see Dontrell Shuler playing so well defensively on the perimeter. This is the same lady that when I married her couldn’t have told you the first thing about basketball other than the objective was putting a ball in a basket.

ADVERTISEMENT