ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee vs Lees-McRae College, 6:30PM, Tuesday, November 6, 2018

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
xuyBMZPqTtj_-_04.02.2018_09.11.07.jpg

LEES-MCRAE
Series: First meeting
Founded: 1890 Enrollment: 1,032 Colors: Green & Gold Nickname: Bobcats
Facility: Williams Gymnasium
Head Coach: Steve Hardin (TN Tech)
2017-18 Record: 23-9 2017 Postseason: NCAA II Tournament, first round

RADIO: 94.9/95.1 FM

LISTEN

LIVE STATS

I don't believe so. I noticed that wku has their exhibition games televised and streamed on facebook by the university.
For some reason, we are no longer streaming video of our home games on subscription service CUSA.tv -- which is completely ridiculous. It should be a prerequisite of membership in an NCAA Division 1 conference to stream your home games especially if you use video for VIDEO BOARDS IN YOUR ARENA. It's not hard.

Not to mention the student production teams we have. We have that digital truck for a reason.

Heck we did it when I was there to be broadcast on MT10 wasn’t it? Tape delayed. No reason they can’t do it to stream now. Excellent experience all around.

23-9 DII team. Not a pushover. Hope we come out ready to play. I’m gonna be watching/listening.

Crap, I thought is was a 7PM game...I land at BNA about 6:10, may not make it since most likely can't get there till 7:15ish.

If you are able to get to Murfreesboro from BNA in that amount of time, you have to let me know your secret.

I come in from the Northeast side of Nashville and it is painful.

MT marketing is 100% worthless for this crap. You want this program MORE accessible. Not less. 16 years. 16 f******* years I have been listening online for free. What a bunch of morons.

Did not make it to the game, but a few things stand out on the box score.

1. Shooting 91% from the free throw line as a team is a huge positive.
2. We only played 8 players and it appears the starters played a lot more minutes than the reserves. Kermit always played 9,10, or even 11.
3. Scoring seemed to be less balanced than previous teams.
4. Gamble had a good rebounding night, but it does not appear he will breakout like many of us were hoping.
5. Sims can score when he wants to which was not his role at all last year.
6. Ditto for Hawthorne.
7. Scurry and Green will the the reasons this season may not be a complete loss in my opinion.

I know this was not a D1 opponent, but there are some positives we can take from it. Hoping any kinks can be worked out. I am interested to hear from someone who was at the game to speak to the difference in sideline demeanor and in game coaching of McDevitt vs. Kermit.

Did not make it to the game, but a few things stand out on the box score.

1. Shooting 91% from the free throw line as a team is a huge positive.
2. We only played 8 players and it appears the starters played a lot more minutes than the reserves. Kermit always played 9,10, or even 11.
3. Scoring seemed to be less balanced than previous teams.
4. Gamble had a good rebounding night, but it does not appear he will breakout like many of us were hoping.
5. Sims can score when he wants to which was not his role at all last year.
6. Ditto for Hawthorne.
7. Scurry and Green will the the reasons this season may not be a complete loss in my opinion.

I know this was not a D1 opponent, but there are some positives we can take from it. Hoping any kinks can be worked out. I am interested to hear from someone who was at the game to speak to the difference in sideline demeanor and in game coaching of McDevitt vs. Kermit.
I stayed until halftime and I concur with your observations. I’m really worried this year when we face physical teams. I didn’t see much out of Crump or Junior. They will need to learn that College operates at a faster clip. Also I loved Nicks sideline demeanor! He’s a teacher and is patient. Doesn’t hesitate to pull a player who makes silly mistakes, but he doesn’t embarrass them in the process.

I stayed until halftime and I concur with your observations. I’m really worried this year when we face physical teams. I didn’t see much out of Crump or Junior. They will need to learn that College operates at a faster clip. Also I loved Nicks sideline demeanor! He’s a teacher and is patient. Doesn’t hesitate to pull a player who makes silly mistakes, but he doesn’t embarrass them in the process.
Maybe if we play physical teams we either run them out of the gym or Gamble will get more minutes? It will be interesting to see.

Gamble has not been a physical player the last three years.... size does not equal physical
Agreed, but I have seen multiple people say he is a beast in practice. Why is that not translating? On a side note I am watching WKU vs Washington and I think if the pace is fast Bassey will be much less a factor.

But overall Western looks really good.

Not really. I had money on WKU on watched the entire game. They flat out quit in the second half with 16 minutes left in the game. I've never seen a team go from dominating a game to so disinterested they'd rather be painting walls since I've followed basketball. Literally zero effort towards any loose ball in the second half. Flat out fishy 2nd half if I don't know anybody I would suspect their whole team is on a huge take for the game and second half bet. Zero effort. Literally zero. They could have won that game......

Go watch the first half of that game and then watch the second half and tell me that isn't two totally different teams with totally different players. I understand Washington is going to come out with energy, etc. for the second half but that doesn't mean WKU has to flat out quit which they literally did. Never seen anything like that in my life....and Stansbury looked just as disinterested as they did. That might be the strangest thing I've ever watched in all of sports. It's certainly the weirdest game of basketball I've ever watched on any level. I'm sure nothing will come of it though since it's a game ending on a Tuesday at 1am on the East Coast. But I'm telling you right now something wasn't right. WEIRD.

It was strange not seeing the coach call a timeout in the first half. Donovan Sims is so smooth and is more of an offensive threat than most of us suspected. Made some great passes and made some bad ones. Green took a little time to warm up but at one point offense was effortless for him. Great shot and he is going to be our best player, I think. But the turnovers were frustrating. Between Sims and Green, 11 turnovers. I liked Scurry rebounding and scoring. Hawthorne seemed content to score vut not much on rebounding.

Miller and another walkon, Mosely - not in the program, got in the very last minute, other than that, it was eight players. Green played 38, Sims 32, and Scurry 32. I think those are our 'big three' and we are going struggle against better teams if one or more get in foul trouble.

They seemed to relax and run out of gas midway of second half.

Crump and Farquhar wll be okay. Liked what I saw from them and recognized they are playing in their first college game. I did not see Jayce Johnson. Not sure if he was there on the bench and just is not ready play or he was hurt, or maybe is going to redshirt.

I didn't make it but listened on the radio as I was driving home. This is just a first game, but I think some positives. Green is the scorer we were hoping he was. As far as Gamble, we don't need him to be a big scorer he just needs to be solid enough. If we can get 8 points/ 8 boards and 30 mins then I will be happy. Last night he didn't start and go 4 points / 7 boards in playing 18 mins, that's not too bad.

As far as the number of players, Kermit only played a bunch the last few years because he had the players, in his tenure we have years where the bench was not deep. I don't have an opinion yet on this crew, need to have a body of work of at least 10 games.

Not really. I had money on WKU on watched the entire game. They flat out quit in the second half with 16 minutes left in the game. I've never seen a team go from dominating a game to so disinterested they'd rather be painting walls since I've followed basketball. Literally zero effort towards any loose ball in the second half. Flat out fishy 2nd half if I don't know anybody I would suspect their whole team is on a huge take for the game and second half bet. Zero effort. Literally zero. They could have won that game......

Go watch the first half of that game and then watch the second half and tell me that isn't two totally different teams with totally different players. I understand Washington is going to come out with energy, etc. for the second half but that doesn't mean WKU has to flat out quit which they literally did. Never seen anything like that in my life....and Stansbury looked just as disinterested as they did. That might be the strangest thing I've ever watched in all of sports. It's certainly the weirdest game of basketball I've ever watched on any level. I'm sure nothing will come of it though since it's a game ending on a Tuesday at 1am on the East Coast. But I'm telling you right now something wasn't right. WEIRD.
Yea I didn't watch the second half of the game.

This team will have some good moments and some very bad moments. Liked what I saw from Green, Scurry and Sims. Hawthorne looked good at times but you have to take the stupid plays with the great plays with him. Liked the way we ran the court and had some great transition baskets.

There were a few times in the 2nd half where we had a run of some bad turnovers and all I could think was...Kermit's head would have EXPLODED! I like Nick's demeanor and I am afraid he will need it with the challenges we will face this year.

Our defense is gonna suffer this year. I knew that. Nick's teams in the past aren't known for D. However, we can score so it's a tradeoff of sorts.

23 turnovers against a DII school. Going to be a long year.

Think about the athletic defenses at UAB, La Tech, ODU, etc. Long year.

23 turnovers against a DII school. Going to be a long year.

Think about the athletic defenses at UAB, La Tech, ODU, etc. Long year.

A big number no doubt but what was the nature of the TO's- I didn't get the to opportunity to see/hear the game- was it guys doing too much (i.e. leaving their feet to pass, behind the back/forced passes), was it not valuing the ball (i.e. careless/sloppy passes, poor passing angles, weak step-throughs).. or was due to a lot of travel calls, charges, being out of control, etc.. I'd expect high TO's for awhile with guys playing big minutes at this level.. it'll also be interesting to see how that high # changes once the regular rotation gets past the concept of practicing against the other guys in practice.. depth is a known issue so if the 2nd/3rd team guys aren't replicating game speed, length, athleticism, it's hard to just turn it on in game situations against better players.. I'd guess that the L-Mc starters are better than MTSU's non top 6-7 guys so it's a learning curve as well..

A big number no doubt but what was the nature of the TO's- I didn't get the to opportunity to see/hear the game- was it guys doing too much (i.e. leaving their feet to pass, behind the back/forced passes), was it not valuing the ball (i.e. careless/sloppy passes, poor passing angles, weak step-throughs).. or was due to a lot of travel calls, charges, being out of control, etc.. I'd expect high TO's for awhile with guys playing big minutes at this level.. it'll also be interesting to see how that high # changes once the regular rotation gets past the concept of practicing against the other guys in practice.. depth is a known issue so if the 2nd/3rd team guys aren't replicating game speed, length, athleticism, it's hard to just turn it on in game situations against better players.. I'd guess that the L-Mc starters are better than MTSU's non top 6-7 guys so it's a learning curve as well..

I would characterize a good many of the turnovers as careless or tentative passing/ball handling. Several passes against pressure defense that were not thrown with complete commitment. Other turnovers were due to guys just not being strong with the ball and essentially just having it taken from them. I think this will get better as chemistry improves and guys get more comfortable with where each other is going to be on the floor. Lots to work on, as is always the case after game 1.

Reactions: kingaling42
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT