ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee vs Lees-McRae College, 6:30PM, Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Marshall wins without D...:)

Who said anything about defense? This is about protecting the ball and losing possessions. That is an offensive issues. If we can’t protect the ball against slower, smaller, less athletic players what makes any of you think we can do it not only with the gauntlet of a non conf schedule but also in conference. CUSA is a better basketball league than it gets credit for because of the bottom 4 or 5 schools. I know it’s only the first game so plenty of time to improve but let’s be honest with ourselves. And as I said it’s gonna be a long year. Y’all just might as well go ahead and prepare yourselves. I mean the D2 school only got turned over 15 times by the stronger fast more athletic D1 team. It’s early yes but it was a very scary look at things to come IMO. We will know how bad this team is Monday night. But I think anyone being realistic knows this is likely a single digit win team. A .500 season would be astonishing.

Who said anything about defense? This is about protecting the ball and losing possessions. That is an offensive issues. If we can’t protect the ball against slower, smaller, less athletic players what makes any of you think we can do it not only with the gauntlet of a non conf schedule but also in conference. CUSA is a better basketball league than it gets credit for because of the bottom 4 or 5 schools. I know it’s only the first game so plenty of time to improve but let’s be honest with ourselves. And as I said it’s gonna be a long year. Y’all just might as well go ahead and prepare yourselves. I mean the D2 school only got turned over 15 times by the stronger fast more athletic D1 team. It’s early yes but it was a very scary look at things to come IMO. We will know how bad this team is Monday night. But I think anyone being realistic knows this is likely a single digit win team. A .500 season would be astonishing.

I don’t entirely disagree with you. I think we will get double digit wins but I agree it will be very difficult to finish at .500 overall.

I was expecting worse but hoping for more when I entered The Murph last night.

The good is that both Scurry and Green can play at this level; Sims and Hawthorne may, just may, thrive in this coach's system. From what I saw last night McDevitt shouldn't have the problems Davis had in finding players who want to play for him. What player doesn't like to play uptempo?

As for the not so good: Depth is going to be a huge problem this year. Only 9 total eligible scholarship players and one (Johnson) was unable to play last night. Other than Gamble's rebounding the three bench players didn't play as one would expect from a D-1 scholarship player against a D-II opponent. Crump didn't have a good night offensively; I would like to think he will improve quickly and adjust to the speed of the college game - with his obviously wing-span he can be a real asset on the perimeter. Either he, Farquahar, or Johnson will have to start (scary thought). And what can one say about Massenburg? He needs the light to come on, and soon.

Biggest takeaway: Don't come to your first game expecting to see Kermit Davis' brand of "toughness and defense". Different brand of BkB in The Murph this year; and I'm not so sure that's necessarily a bad thing.

Fri. night you'll catch the ladies hosting the team from West End. Men play Milligan at 11:00 am in the school kids game. Sorry to say I won't catch either.

Even Kermit's teams looked bad a lot of times in these early games. Give the team a few games before you right the season off completely.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Even Kermit's teams looked bad a lot of times in these early games. Give the team a few games before you right the season off completely.

yep, might even give them a little longer, remembering the loss to Martin Methodist team by a Reggie Upshaw, Giddy Potts, Darnell Harris, Perrin Buford, and Jaquan Raymond team, the season before they won the CUSA tourney and beat Michigan State.

It was strange not seeing the coach call a timeout in the first half. Donovan Sims is so smooth and is more of an offensive threat than most of us suspected. Made some great passes and made some bad ones. Green took a little time to warm up but at one point offense was effortless for him. Great shot and he is going to be our best player, I think. But the turnovers were frustrating. Between Sims and Green, 11 turnovers. I liked Scurry rebounding and scoring. Hawthorne seemed content to score vut not much on rebounding.

Miller and another walkon, Mosely - not in the program, got in the very last minute, other than that, it was eight players. Green played 38, Sims 32, and Scurry 32. I think those are our 'big three' and we are going struggle against better teams if one or more get in foul trouble.

They seemed to relax and run out of gas midway of second half.

Crump and Farquhar wll be okay. Liked what I saw from them and recognized they are playing in their first college game. I did not see Jayce Johnson. Not sure if he was there on the bench and just is not ready play or he was hurt, or maybe is going to redshirt.
He looked like it the last game we won when he was forced to start. He was awesome against WKU last year. I couldn't believe he didn't start the rest of the games. Kermit whiffed on that one.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
ADVERTISEMENT