ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB Middle Tennessee vs Houston (ESPN+), 6PM, Wednesday, December 14, 2022

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
General Information

Founded: 1927 Enrollment: 47,031
Colors: Scarlet & White Nickname: Cougars
Series: UH leads 5-3
Conference: The American
Facility: Fertitta Center
Head Coach: Ronald Hughey
Record at UH: 106-138 (8) Overall: Same
2021-22 Record: 18-16 2022 Postseason: WNIT Round 3
Starters Ret./Lost: 4/1 Letterwinners R/L: 10/6

Houston is a crazy team. 2-8 record. 3 of their losses are overtime losses. 1 overtime losses to both 10-1 Florida St & 9-1 Florida Gators, & a 2 overtime loss to undefeated Rice now 8-0. Watched some of the Houston vs Rice game on ESPN+ from the other night. Quite athletic team. They will blow up on someone sometime. Despite the poor record, not a team to sleep on. I'm sure the staff is drilling that into everyone's head.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
They played Rice very well in the last game. That said, I'm sure the coaches are going to be ranting and raving about how big a test this will be for us despite their record

Updated NET ratings for NCAA Division I women's basketball teams in Tennessee:
No. 18 MTSU 6-2
No. 26 Tennessee 6-5
No. 64 Memphis 5-5
No. 91 Vanderbilt 7-5
No. 96 Belmont 3-6
No. 129 UT Martin 3-5
No. 132 Chattanooga 6-5
No. 170 ETSU 8-3
No. 179 Lipscomb 5-5
No. 183 Austin Peay 3-5
No. 244 Tennessee Tech 4-3
No. 291 TSU 4-5

Houston may be playing one of its best 1st halves of the year. A 35% from the floor team shooting 60% so far. Hopefully will cool off some in the 2nd half

Nice finish for the 1st half. Ladies did not overlook Houston. Can tell they knew the Cougars would come out tough which they did. Responding well so far. Need to put it away in the 3rd.

Why does Coach Insell refuse to call timeouts? It's honestly baffling. This announcing is questionable too, "he doesn't call timeouts usually during gameplay" -- SO HE NEVER CALLS TIMEOUTS. That's just ridiculous, we have them for a reason, to USE THEM

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Poor Coaching decisions or lack there of last quarter almost cost us this game. Hats off to Houston for making a great run in the 4th. They actually deserved this one, never gave up.

Not an indictment at all to say “oh we suck” or anything but it’s very obvious to me how good we are and can be. Every single player who played today contributed in a major way, and they are all outstanding basketball players. We just have some improvement to do in some areas and I do think one of those is game management. But you can only get so frustrated when we did end up winning. The worry is that we get into the situation later in the year and don’t have the same result.

Reactions: MTFAN61
Why does Coach Insell refuse to call timeouts? It's honestly baffling. This announcing is questionable too, "he doesn't call timeouts usually during gameplay" -- SO HE NEVER CALLS TIMEOUTS. That's just ridiculous, we have them for a reason, to USE THEM
Agree. When the wheels started falling off in the 4th quarter, he just let it get worse. At one point, Kortni was trapped in the corner and tried to throw the ball across court on the baseline and hit UH's rim. That is where we need to call a TO and regroup and stop the bleeding. We were very lucky they did not tie it up late...they missed 2 free throws which would have cut it to 3 and then missed a wide open 3 pointer the next trip down.

Whew! Tough team, tough game. We didn't score a fg the last 9:52. 9:52!!! Are you kidding me? 6 total points in the quarter. After a hard fought first half, we separated ourselves in the 3rd. And as good as that was, the 4th was completely opposite. 9 TO's and I agree, when those wheels started getting wobbly, CRI just watched and waited. I was thanking the heavens for that media TO that came with about 4 minutes left because we looked completely lost. Not sure why he chose to let them play but that 20 point lead just about completely disappeared. Had it not been for those missed free throws and open 3 pointer mentioned above we might be looking at a L. But we are not and all most people will see and care about tomorrow is a W. I'll take it. Build on the good, work on the negative and go get Rice. We win that and clean things up, they can run the table.

Not an indictment at all to say “oh we suck” or anything but it’s very obvious to me how good we are and can be. Every single player who played today contributed in a major way, and they are all outstanding basketball players. We just have some improvement to do in some areas and I do think one of those is game management. But you can only get so frustrated when we did end up winning. The worry is that we get into the situation later in the year and don’t have the same result.
Totally with you on the "no indictment of the team". My worries set more with end of game bench management than the team play itself. IE: Houston & Texas Tech

UH played some tough defense and you could tell it was disrupting our offense and forcing shots. Really good game played by them, their record definitely does not match with their play tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT