ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee @ Vanderbilt (SEC Alternate), 6:30PM, September 1, 2018

I like the sarcasm. The top of the SEC and any other P5 conference is daunting, but we should be able to "compete" better against the bottom of the P5. I can agree with you on that.
They were not very good and a 3-4 win team at best. No sarcasm here just concern on where we are and why in the hell we can’t protect one of the best QB’s our program has ever seen. And don’t start the Tony Franklin system stuff, it’s not designed to make the QB a tackling dummy.

Good game wasn't it Mr. Spaceman? Your new DC had us figured out in the first half. I have no doubt y'all will end up in a Bowl.

These have been a stressful 7 games. (from past talks) Touche'... but I can only hope we never reschedule the series.

Good Luck with other games in the near and the late term.

Good luck winning 4 games and sitting home again during bowl season.

McCollum didn't go to a bowl game because bowl games during his era were still very rare. Only 1 SBC team, and that was the SBC champ, went to a bowl when McCollum was coach. If those circumstances were still the same, Rick Stockstill, in his 13th season, WOULD STILL HAVE NEVER GOTTEN TO A BOWL GAME. Let that marinate in your mind for a minute.

McCollum and Stockstill have an almost identical in-conference record FYI.

I would trade a slightly worse conference record for 3-0 against Vanderbilt and beating our regional rivalries every other year (McCollum never let Troy get the best of him....Took Stock like 6 years to finally beat Troy)
Okay I will give you that, but my point is McCollum also never had a 10 win season. We have lived in mediocrity long before Stock. I want to apologize for what I said to you. I was pissed at the game and directed it to you via my keyboard. Very uncharacteristic of me.

Reactions: MTOleBlue and C-Bow
Okay I will give you that, but my point is McCollum also never had a 10 win season. We have lived in mediocrity long before Stock. I want to apologize for what I said to you. I was pissed at the game and directed it to you via my keyboard. Very uncharacteristic of me.

That's also an unfair statement. College football added a 12th game starting in 2006 which made it a lot easier to get to a "10 win season" - With the added 12th game + the accessibility of bowl games, getting 10 wins is not what it used to be.

McCollum's 8 win season very likely would have ended as a "10 win season" if bowl games were as accessible then and we also played 12 games then.

You've gotta look at the big picture here and be very careful when you start comparing the past and present. When you factor in everything, Stockstill has honestly not done much more for our program than McCollum. Stockstill has a slightly higher winning %, but you've gotta remember McCollum played a murders row schedule year in, year out.

For me it's all about the eye test. And Stockstill's teams just don't look any better than what McCollum put on the field. McCollum's teams had talent, but frequently played down to the competition and lost games they shouldn't have. Stockstill's teams seem to flat out lack talent which is difficult to overcome.

Also, ask yourself this. Do you think an Andy McCollum Middle Tennessee led team would get SHELLACKED by Vanderbilt, in back 2 back years, by a combined score of 63-13 ????? There is no way in frozen hell that would have ever happened under McCollum's watch.

That's also an unfair statement. College football added a 12th game starting in 2006 which made it a lot easier to get to a "10 win season" - With the added 12th game + the accessibility of bowl games, getting 10 wins is not what it used to be.

McCollum's 8 win season very likely would have ended as a "10 win season" if bowl games were as accessible then and we also played 12 games then.

You've gotta look at the big picture here and be very careful when you start comparing the past and present. When you factor in everything, Stockstill has honestly not done much more for our program than McCollum. Stockstill has a slightly higher winning %, but you've gotta remember McCollum played a murders row schedule year in, year out.

For me it's all about the eye test. And Stockstill's teams just don't look any better than what McCollum put on the field. McCollum's teams had talent, but frequently played down to the competition and lost games they shouldn't have. Stockstill's teams seem to flat out lack talent which is difficult to overcome.

Also, ask yourself this. Do you think an Andy McCollum Middle Tennessee led team would get SHELLACKED by Vanderbilt, in back 2 back years, by a combined score of 63-13 ????? There is no way in frozen hell that would have ever happened under McCollum's watch.
Don’t forget the total lack of academic focus and the sanctions he left behind. Throwing caution to the wind in the classroom caught up quick and is a definite factor in comparing the two.

Don’t forget the total lack of academic focus and the sanctions he left behind. Throwing caution to the wind in the classroom caught up quick and is a definite factor in comparing the two.

I believe he could have and would have adjusted with the times. He could still recruit talent regardless. He and his staff had a major knack for signing insanely talented linemen, on both sides of the ball. And we all remember the Kerry Wright's, Chris Henry's, and Dwone Hicks of the world. Rashard Lee, anyone? Talk about passing the eye test....

The problems with McCollum's teams were discipline. Lots of talent, but very poorly utilized.

If we could somehow channel Stockstill's discipline with McCollum's recruiting we could probably win a conference championship or two.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Dude, tonight wasn't about talent, it was gameplan and play calling. I sat there and watched us call some of the worst plays I've seen us call in a while. That lateral on first down deep in our own side was probably the stupidest calling I've seen and trust me, I've seen a lot of bad plays from us over the years. LOL.

Hey, we could be ODU right now. They just lost 52-10 to Liberty.

I believe he could have and would have adjusted with the times. He could still recruit talent regardless. He and his staff had a major knack for signing insanely talented linemen, on both sides of the ball. And we all remember the Kerry Wright's, Chris Henry's, and Dwone Hicks of the world. Rashard Lee, anyone? Talk about passing the eye test....

The problems with McCollum's teams were discipline. Lots of talent, but very poorly utilized.

If we could somehow channel Stockstill's discipline with McCollum's recruiting we could probably win a conference championship or two.
Completely disagree. Could not be further from the truth. Big Andy fan but not the case at all.

The reality is that if we ran the ball instead of these stupid side to side passes, it would have been 7-7 at the half and possibly 7-7 midway through the 3rd. It's when we would throw a stupid pass into coverage thus stopping the clock is what pissed me off. The wheels came off, we got tired and had no direction after that.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Brent needs to be benched for the Georgia game .I don't think he will survive it. Wiley is of course coming unhinged. Sure Brent is the most overrated QB that has shattered records. It's clear we have nothing at WR this year, but our running game looks great. If we can get out of the first 4 weeks healthy I think we will do good this year in our conference

Otherwise, pretty much the same this year as the last 10 years.

McCollum didn't go to a bowl game because bowl games during his era were still very rare. Only 1 SBC team, and that was the SBC champ, went to a bowl when McCollum was coach. If those circumstances were still the same, Rick Stockstill, in his 13th season, WOULD STILL HAVE NEVER GOTTEN TO A BOWL GAME. Let that marinate in your mind for a minute.

I would trade a slightly worse conference record for 3-0 against Vanderbilt and beating our regional rivalries every other year (McCollum never let Troy get the best of him....Took Stock like 6 years to finally beat Troy)

Other significant reasons the coach mac and coach stock comparisons do not make logical sense. The APR. When the APR went into effect at the end of coach mac's tenure, MT had one of if not the worst D1 APR score in the country. MT immediately lost a whole crap load of scholarships and could only sign like 12 or 13 recruits each season over the next couple of years. Those first years of coach stock saw him struggle just to have D1-AA or FCS level scholarships at 65 due to coach mac's mess.

Had coach mac still been around with such severe sanctions, it's doubtful he would have achieved even a modest level of success.

Last edited:
Well, it does appear most people here saw the same game I did. It seems most people recognized the same problems and causes for poor performance. Sadly, tonight's game was just a brutal reminder that MT fans can expect another long season of mediocrity, poor home attendance, and little to no energy surrounding the football program.

I can't imagine people being interested or excited enough to come out in even slightly decent numbers to watch MT play UT-Martin. Attendance will decline from the upcoming uninspired attendance for the first home game.

I guess it was too much to ask or hope that just maybe MT could pull out one win out of 4 games vs Vandy.

It's worse than sad that MT was manhandled all along the line of scrimmage from start to finish vs Vandy. In addition to coach mason recruiting better overall linemen, coach mason has just flat out owned coach stock in coaching these games. It really hasn't even been close. DC Shafer is the only coach that appeared to rival or compete at a similar level as Vandy's coaches. Ultimately, it's coach stock that is just not even remotely getting it done.

Tonight's game brought back into clear focus just how much a new HC is needed immediately for MT. In my opinion, coach stock really needs to retire at the end of this season.

I already deleted the game so I can't go back and check, but I thought that disastrous little backward pass was run 2 or 3 times before disaster struck. I seem to remember a couple of those plays as I recall holding my breath hoping what eventually did happen wouldn't happen. If they weren't backward passes earlier in the game, they were darn close to it. Close enough I wouldn't want to put it in the hands of the refs in trying to overturn a Vandy recovery and TD.

Coach Stock should never have allowed those type of plays to be run. If I recall correctly, you usually only see those type of backwards passes a few times a season usually as a trick play so the RB can throw the ball downfield. Against Vandy early on, I thought MT was running that play simply because the vandy Dline was penetrating so deep so fast that Brent ended up throwing it backwards so that his initial pass wouldn't be intercepted.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
They were not very good and a 3-4 win team at best. No sarcasm here just concern on where we are and why in the hell we can’t protect one of the best QB’s our program has ever seen. And don’t start the Tony Franklin system stuff, it’s not designed to make the QB a tackling dummy.

2 things here. 1. We last beat a FBS opponent in a home opener in 2006, Stocks first year. For whatever reason, we start incredibly slow. 2. Mason had our number. He got his team ready to play us each year and we didn't. Mason understood how to cut Franklin's game plan in half and TF never knew how to adjust to it. Buster called a better game vs. VU than TF ever did. Glad they're off the schedule.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
2 things here. 1. We last beat a FBS opponent in a home opener in 2006, Stocks first year. For whatever reason, we start incredibly slow. 2. Mason had our number. He got his team ready to play us each year and we didn't. Mason understood how to cut Franklin's game plan in half and TF never knew how to adjust to it. Buster called a better game vs. VU than TF ever did. Glad they're off the schedule.
For whatever reason????
LMAO!!!!

Whew! Glad I stayed in Chattanooga. I had not missed a season opener in 14 years. That streak alone almost made me go. That was a close one.

I told myself this year I would not plan my life around watching these games. I almost decided not to go to a lake party so I could stay home and watch at the last moment. Even told my wife on the way about how hard it was not to just watch. Glad I didn’t (got home and watched the last few minutes of garbage time, though truthfully it sounds like the whole game was garbage). This will be the second year in a row I won’t trek 600 miles to catch a game in person, though last year I made a tailgate and skipped the game. This year, it doesn’t look like I’ll make either (Though Brad, I still have your beer tucked away safely)

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
Do you think there is any hope Stock resigns after the season? He has to know this is his last shot in the near future to do anything. You can make an argument that it would make sense for him to retire the same time his son leaves.... you can only hope lol
We owe him A LOT of money so he ain’t resigning. The Board of Trustees may have to pass the hat.

Do you think there is any hope Stock resigns after the season? He has to know this is his last shot in the near future to do anything. You can make an argument that it would make sense for him to retire the same time his son leaves.... you can only hope lol

If I were Stock, I would never leave. You get to enjoy football with minimum pressure and you get a top 1% income. Don’t cheat, make sure your team keeps a decent APR, and find a way to win ~6 games a year, you have absolute job security.

Why are you so big on McCollum? How many of those players had decent NFL careers? I know Lee played for the Cowboys for a few seasons, but I believe Phillip Tanner played longer in the NFL. Not to mention Kevin Byard, Richie James, etc. McCollum had 2 players drafted during his tenure and Stock has had 6. 2 players in 7 seasons for McCollum vs. 6 players in 12 seasons for Stock. The problems with McCollum's teams were they won under 5 games a year on average. The last season they had an 11 game schedule was the 8-3 season. Since then he finished 4-8, 4-8, 5-7, and 4-7 (one loss vacated). I do not want to go back to that just because they were able to beat Vandy. Stockstill's teams average just under 7 wins per year. I know that is only 2 wins, but it is also the difference between a bowl game and no bowl game. Stockstill also got us to a bowl game in the SBC when there were not as many opportunities. Now we just need to find the coach that can improve us to averaging 9 wins per year.

On another note FAU started 1-3 with a loss to Buffalo last year. Still won conference championship, bowl game, and became the darlings of college football. In the grand scheme of things losing to Vandy does not matter as far as achieving realistic goals. A conference championship and bowl win is our ceiling. Even if we go undefeated we do not make the playoff.

Reactions: C-Bow
Whatever.

Brent will be known for these things:

Never winning a championship.
Never beating rivals.
Injury prone.

He’s mid twenties. A grown man and should be able to take criticisms.

Andy’s 8-3 season should have gotten us a bowl. There is actually a reason we didn’t get to go....la tech blocked us but that is another story.

Tell me more about your record last season. We may be bad, but you’re far worse. Good luck with your cupcake schedule.

- Daddy

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue

I agree with your point, but I remember Troy crushing us in Murfreesboro. May have been his first year and they were still Troy State in FCS.

My season tickets, for next year, may be riding on this happening.

Tell me more about your record last season. We may be bad, but you’re far worse. Good luck with your cupcake schedule.

- Daddy
At least we will see the post season. VU wins maybe 3 this year and thats it. I'm glad you're happy with 3 wins.

ND - will kill VU
UGA - certain destruction
UF - Mullins will crush Vandy
UT - Pruitt will beat VU
SC - Pretty good and will beat VU easily.
Mizzou - Drew Lock sr. seaon. LOL.
UK - Snell will run over VU yet again
Ole Miss - 3 awesome and huge WR's with a good QB? Thanks for playing
Arkansas - Chad Morris will outcoach Mason.

That's 9 guaranteed losses right there. Go celebrate man. I mean this is your time to enjoy the 3 wins you're getting. Go live it up man. Good luck.

3fc5d2107029323a83571226ab541d26--homecoming-parade-raiders.jpg

Stuck: Are you sure you aren't "coffee" from the now defunct "BlueRaiderZone"?

For those who never knew or have forgotten he (?) claimed to be a MT fan but never posted except when MT played a team on West End and he was also especially good at, during the NCAA Baseball playoffs each year, encouraging MT fans to support the VU BB squad in their quest for the CWS since they are just up the road. (My speculation was that "coffee" was a Motlow State dropout and VU fan who lived in his parents' basement in Manchester posting crap, but; whatever)

As for "stuckinthemiddle2", "coffee", TommyDore, DieHardDore, and any other VU visitor: Enjoy the rest of the season, your BkB program on the upswing (no doubt you'll blow is away this year), and your annual $40 million welfare check from the $EC. Doubt we'll see you on either the gridiron or court (when the present contract runs out) in a long time and as a MT fan who once dreamed of playing you I won't shed a tear. The promise of exciting contests which were a highlight of the mid-state sports calendar have gone away. Too small a fan base for each of us, too much competition for time and the entertainment dollar, MT at this time isn't competitive in FB (I have to accept that) and your fan base won't even make the 3 mile trip to the Tire Barn to see a BkB game against what you consider an inferior opponent, much less to The Boro.

As an aside, I don't dislike you or your school - Immediate family members have degrees from VU as well as MT (in one case from both) along with other schools. Many friends, neighbors, and professional colleagues went to VU. No disrespect to VU realizing the different missions of the two schools.

Til then - - -

Combined scores against Vanderbilt last 2 seasons:

63-13

Sickening.

ADVERTISEMENT