ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee @ Missouri (SECN), 3PM, Saturday, October 22, 2016

North Texas is the only team that poses a threat to WKU right now. They have a real defense. If they win, I'll wear green for a day. :)

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Somewhat well known brand? They were in the SEC championship game about 3 years ago for crying out loud!? We beat a great brand and that matters a LOT on the recruiting trails. Swiley, I will not let you try to find a way to minimalize this victory. Your glass half empty attitude drives me CRAZY! Talk about Debbie Downer. We had a big win this past Saturday. I am extremely proud of our team and we all should be very proud of being 5-2. Anything can happen on any given Saturday. My 10 win prediction is still in play. We need a defensive line coach. Jeez!

We're 3-1 vs. a Barry Odom designed defense. 2012, 2013 when he was at Memphis and 2016 at Mizzou.

The WKU loss still stings. Not gonna lie but this team didn't quit. They didn't lie down when they could have vs. Mizzou. They punched them in the mouth and got punched. Then they kept swinging. All you can ask for.

I haven't run across this topic yet, so I'll throw it out there. Obviously, there's been more than a few comments about the punter's hit then taking off helmet penalty. What really got my attention is coach stock running over the chew him out. I don't know if I've ever seen coach stock go after a player that hard during a game. Anyone else see coach stock be that aggressive towards a player during a game?

It was a great hit by the punter, but he lost focus and took his helmet off in celebration which was a costly penalty at a critical point in the game. I'm not even sure he knew what he had done. I'm pretty sure after coach stock chewed him out brutally, the young man knew what he did wrong. Truth be told, I about felt bad for that young man. He looked sick with knowing he messed up after all of that.

With Coach Stock jumping all over him, it made me wonder if coach stock's attitude isn't a little different after the WKU loss. Coach Stock is always calm and cool during games; he is even calm during bad or boneheaded plays. Sometimes I've thought a little too calm and cool. That situation over on the sideline makes me wonder if the WKU loss didn't shake things up some with coach stock???

Anyone else see coach stock be that aggressive towards a player during a game?

I was talking about that with some people after it happened. Honestly, I've never seen Stock in someone's face like that. I had a former player tell me the same thing.

I think, in that moment, Stock had flashback to the WKU game. He knew what this situation looked like, and if MT were to give up the go ahead score right there, he might have had an aneurysm right there on the sideline.

Big play by Bonadies, and I don't think there was anything malicious or taunting-like with the removal of the helmet - just a kid amped up after making a play.

I guarantee he'll never do it again..

I did not see that until early this morning when I was watching the replay on the $ec network. To tell the truth I was glad to see Stock get heated over it. That could have been a game changer in that last minute. It was a stupid stunt and I also would think will never be repeated.

I would love to see us not give any team the ball back with less than a minute left in the game and us leading by less than a TD.

Reactions: C-Bow
I agree, I think the young man just sort of lost himself in the hype of the big play. Agreed, he's likely not to do it again.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'm wondering if that was a sign that maybe coach stock is going to be less tolerant of garbage that can cost a game. In a way, I can respect a man for being patient. It has struck me at times over the years that maybe coach stock was a little too casual about bad plays and losing. There are plenty of times I would've like to have seen coach stock be a little more forceful with the team about getting it right in order to win.

By the way, I would like to see coach stock be that way with his coaches a little more. Too many timeouts and/or delay of games waiting for a play call.

I can't help but wonder if that WKU loss didn't rile up coach stock's attitude a little with being a little more forceful and a general sense of urgency.

I agree, I think the young man just sort of lost himself in the hype of the big play. Agreed, he's likely not to do it again.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'm wondering if that was a sign that maybe coach stock is going to be less tolerant of garbage that can cost a game. In a way, I can respect a man for being patient. It has struck me at times over the years that maybe coach stock was a little too casual about bad plays and losing. There are plenty of times I would've like to have seen coach stock be a little more forceful with the team about getting it right in order to win.

By the way, I would like to see coach stock be that way with his coaches a little more. Too many timeouts and/or delay of games waiting for a play call.

I can't help but wonder if that WKU loss didn't rile up coach stock's attitude a little with being a little more forceful and a general sense of urgency.

To be fair, the targeting rule is still a bit of a mystery to most officials, coaches, and broadcasters. Rules regarding what constitutes targeting have not been effectively communicated by athletic staff (NCAA, conference, and coaches) and officials have not consistent with their use of the targeting penalty.

Part of the reason for the lack of clarity is on the vagueness of the rules. What constitutes "forcible contact?" If the offensive player slides/dives at the same time the defender lowers his shoulder/body for the tackle and heads collide, is this "forcible contact" or "incidental contact."

Richie James got hit around the head in the Vandy game, but the flag was picked up after review (IMO, the call on the field should have been confirmed as targeting).

Reactions: SpaceRaider

Good post, and the part I've bolded is one of my main beefs with this program.

I knew we were screwed against WKU when I heard the "win or lose, we're still in the driver's seat".

I feel like there is a genuine lack of ambition with this program - I've said it before: "Let's get our bowl eligibility and we're good!".

There's no reason this program can't be one of the big dogs of this conference. We have the budget. We have the recruiting territory (especially vs WKU and Marshall). We have the facilities. We have fan support that's upper half of the conference and is untapped, IMHO. 10+ years without a conference title is absurd

Did you know that Stockstill is the 7th longest tenured coach in college football? Do you know that every single one of the men above him have at least 1 conference title?

We need to get off this 1 step forward (Mizzou) and 1 step back (WKU). We're literally going nowhere.

I'm glad Stock showed some fire. This whole program needs some fire. It has the personality of wet cardboard, and it shows in games where there's something tangible on the line.

There are two more games in this series, here is a Missouri article from last year on the contract signed in 2015:

...Last week Missouri announced an upcoming three-game football series with Middle Tennessee, with games scheduled for Columbia in 2016 and 2023 and a game in Murfreesboro, Tenn., for 2022.

The contract includes an interesting clause. According to the agreement, obtained by the Post-Dispatch in an open records request, Mizzou can reschedule the 2022 game under one condition:

“Should the University of Missouri need to move the game designated for 2022 at Middle Tennessee State University for the sole purpose of scheduling a nonconference home and home series that same year with a Big 12 institution, both parties agree after other options are fully explored to adjust the date of the game scheduled for Sept. 17, 2022 to a subsequent year on a date that is agreed to by both parties. It is agreed by both parties that if there is a change that the University of Missouri will play the game in Murfreesboro no later than the fall of 2025. The University of Missouri must inform Middle Tennessee State University of such a change no later than July 1, 2016.”

What does that mean? Mizzou has the next 11 months to secure a home and home series with a Big 12 school that would allow MU to push the MTSU road trip to 2024 or 2025. Who might that Big 12 team be?

“It simply allows us some flexibility in the event we can schedule a non-conference Power 5 series with Big 12 opponents in 2021 and 2022 should we have to go on the road in 2022 for that series,” Bryan Maggard, MU’s executive associate athletics director shared in an email. “2021-2022 are the next years we need a non-conference Power 5 series and this gives us a window of time to accommodate should an opportunity arise.”

The SEC mandate requiring teams to play one power conference opponent outside of the SEC schedule begins in 2016. MU fulfills that requirement with games against the Big 12’s West Virginia in 2016 and 2019, the Big Ten’s Purdue in 2017-18 and Brigham Young in 2020. BYU is an independent program, but the SEC decided that BYU will count as a power conference opponent.

MU could also fulfill the SEC rule by scheduling a team from the ACC, Big Ten or Pac-12, but with the contract language limited to a Big 12 school, it appears Mizzou is focused on finding an opponent from its former conference.

According to the website FBschedules.com, Oklahoma already has as a series with Nebraska set for 2021-22 ... TCU is scheduled to play Cal and Colorado those years ... Oklahoma State travels to Boise State in 2021 but has an empty slate for 2022 ... West Virginia plays Maryland and Virginia Tech ... Texas plays Arkansas and Ohio State ... Iowa State rarely plays a power conference team in addition to its annual game against Iowa.

Who’s left? The site doesn’t show Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State or Texas Tech having a non-league game against a power conference opponent for 2021-22. Could the Tigers and Jayhawks rekindle their rivalry? If so, MU's got less than a year to put something together before the deadline in the MTSU contract.

As for that Middle Tennessee series, Missouri will pay MTSU a guaranteed $1.1 million for next year’s game. For the two subsequent games in Murfreesboro and Columbia, the home team will pay the visiting team $200,000. The visiting schools will receive 400 complimentary tickets for each game and can purchase up to 6,000 more tickets. It would cost either school $800,000 to break the contract for any of the three games.....

St Louis Post Dispatch:

Honeymoon's over for Odom at Mizzou

...Get past the "Middle" in the name and the Conference USA stigma, and Middle Tennessee is a better football team than the Tigers right now. Mizzou was out-coached and outplayed in every measurable capacity by a superior opponent. Period.

The proof is in the numbers: Middle Tennessee's 37.8 points per game against FBS teams ranks 20th nationally; the Tigers' 27.5 ranks 68th. Middle Tennessee's 34 points allowed per game against FBS teams ranks 92nd; the Tigers' 34.7 ranks 98th.

The proof was on the field. This was no fluke. The Tigers didn't underestimate the Blue Raiders. They didn't lack motivation. Middle Tennessee was just better, from play-makers to play-callers. If Middle Tennessee and Mizzou squared off 10 times, these Tigers would be lucky to win three.....

St Louis Post Dispatch:
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_fccf07a7-d164-53ff-86c1-62c997844d12.html
Hochman: Despicable effort, inexcusable loss for Mizzou

...And so, the Blue Raiders headed back to Murfreesboro with an SEC win — but not even the school’s biggest win in the state of Missouri this year. If you recall, the basketball team shocked No. 2 Michigan State in the NCAA Tournament at Scottrade Center in March. That was, arguably, the greatest upset in NCAA Tournament history.

And now, the Blue Raiders are in our lives again.....

ADVERTISEMENT