ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee @ Missouri (SECN), 3PM, Saturday, October 22, 2016

Very happy to be wrong. Great win Blue Raiders ... let's keep it up! Woo hoo!

Excellent win, Blue Raiders!!! Proud of the fine effort by our team and coaching staff. This is a quality statement win for our program...what a way to finish!! :)

So, if both MT and WKU win out we would both have the same conference record but MT would have a better overall record. Does WKU win the east because they beat us or does our better overall record put us in?

So, if both MT and WKU win out we would both have the same conference record but MT would have a better overall record. Does WKU win the east because they beat us or does our better overall record put us in?

WKU will need to lose another conference game and we will have to win out. FIU is currently leading, but is losing to La Tech. The only way we can win the East is by some luck loss by WKU and it looks like maybe FIU and N Texas could possibly do that, but odds are in Western's favor.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Yes, we can win the East Division by winning the rest of our games and WKU losing one more. That starts with beating FIU next Saturday.

WKU will need to lose another conference game and we will have to win out. FIU is currently leading, but is losing to La Tech. The only way we can win the East is by some luck loss by WKU and it looks like maybe FIU and N Texas could possibly do that, but odds are in Western's favor.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I was thinking I saw someone say somewhere all we needed to do was win out.

Columbia Missourian:

Missouri's lackluster performance against Middle Tennessee leaves season outlook in doubt

excerpt:

...this was a game Missouri needed to win if it had hopes of making a bowl game in Odom's first year. With four more wins needed in a total of five games, and games against Arkansas and Tennessee still on the schedule, Missouri's season outlook just got a lot more bleak.

It was a far cry from statements made earlier in the week.

"It's hard getting motivated to practice hard every day," linebacker Michael Scherer said earlier in the week when asked about the preparation that goes into playing non-conference teams. "It's hard getting yourself pumped to kind of go play a game that, you know, no disrespect, but you're going to walk in there, have a mediocre game and you're going to be just fine, you know?"

Missouri did have a mediocre game, but it wasn't able to dominate like it did against Eastern Michigan and Delaware State. Middle Tennessee proved to be more competitive than Missouri's previous two non-conference opponents, and Scherer's words foreshadowed the team's abysmal performance.....

and this from the Columbia Daily Tribune:

...The heartbeat of Missouri’s defense, senior linebacker Michael Scherer, watched on crutches from the sideline Saturday while his teammates flatlined.

Scherer injured his right knee on Middle Tennessee’s opening drive
, and the Blue Raiders proceeded to shred Missouri’s defense for 584 yards in a 51-45 upset of the Tigers on their homecoming at Memorial Stadium.....

Last edited:
Not that MT is involved, but I thought it was interesting that the son of former MT OL Coach Joe Wickline, Kelby Wickline, a former signee at UTSA and a current juco lineman with offers from Troy, Kentucky, TCU, and Mizzou, was in attendance at the game in Columbia, he is being recruited by Glen Elarbee, former Blue Raider and current OL coach at Mizzou.

You know, I'm really happy that we beat Mizzou, but I'm still upset about the WKU game. If we had won that game (and we should have....Just needed to call a basic dive play on 4th and 1), we would probably be getting votes for the Top 25 right now and would be in the drivers seat for a big time bowl game come December.

In the grand scheme of things, I really don't know what this win does with regards to our goals for the season.

Are we going to get a better bowl because of it? Nope. Are we going to have a better chance of winning our conference because of it? Nope. Are we going to get any national recognition from it? Nope. I didn't see $hit anywhere on TV talking about our win.

So yeah it was nice to go on the road and beat a somewhat well known brand, but I just can't help but to think what could have been if we did what we were supposed to do against WKU.

I wanted this season to be special, not status quo, and with every passing week it's becoming more clear that it's just gonna be another 2nd place finish. There's no way WKU is losing at this point. I have no idea what Stock was smoking when he made the comment that we were in the drivers seat regardless of the outcome of the WKU game.

The frustrating part in all of this is that we had the talent to win the conference and should have done so but our coach refused to end the conference clinching game on 4th and 1 despite our RB averaging 6.5 YPC.

What's remarkable to me is that we had a 4th and 1 late and the game and went for it..., I was thinking WTF? Was a lesson learned from the wku game? Or what?

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
Amazing how this MU team thought they could just show up and beat us. Had they even watched any of our game tapes? I felt we were the better team going in but, typically in these type games (i.e. Vandy) we commit stupid turnovers and mistakes. We had few stupid penalties other than our punter MB's blunder. Good win but these are the type of games we should win and maybe the bottom feeders like MU understand it should not be embarrassing to lose to us.

Last edited:
This is only our 6th win against a P5 school since we decided to play big boy FB - its a big effing win, period.

As far as the season, we can still have a special season. We have only won more than 8 games one time is 18 years.

Why don't we all get on board and support the program. If not now, then when?

We are 5-2...its been since 2001 that we were 5-2 (I think)

We lost at WKU because we didn't execute. How many times does Stock complete a 5 yard toss? I am not so sure that wasn't a bad call the more I think about it, we complete the pass and all of you would be saying how we play to win. Not so sure we would have converted a 4th and against WKU - they all thought Mathers was getting the ball.

I'm enjoying the win. I'm still down after WKU, which was a much bigger game, but anytime we can beat the SEC that's good.

Anyone see a loss for the Toppers ahead? Me neither.

Very cool to get a win against a P5 school. I especially like the fact that they completely underestimated us and that our offense showed up and won the ball game.

Just like 2001, we have that ONE loss that will forbid us a conference championship and ultimately 2nd place. Yeah, 5-2 is great but it is who we lost against.

I still think the 4th and 1 was a terrible call against WKU.

I thought we would only win 7 games so I am pleasantly surprised by our record.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Unfortunately for Mizzou, MT isn't Eastern Michigan etc. Looks like a fan base that is fairly uneducated in the area of college football, or they wouldn't have taken this team for granted.

RockMNation:

this sucks

...I understand Missouri’s schedule makers probably didn’t have a choice, and they probably knew the potential drawbacks at the time. But this is why you don’t schedule Middle Tennessee for Homecoming.

I could tell in some of the responses to my preview pieces this week, and I could really tell it while tailgating yesterday. My numbers had Mizzou projected to win by under 4 points with a 59% win probability, and that was with Michael Scherer and John Gibson. But you could tell there was some denial in the works. Yeah, they’re pretty good. Yeah, they’re going to test us. Respect, respect, respect. But ... we’re still going to win pretty easily, right? Right? Surely? Right?

(I include myself in this indictment, by the way. I talked a big game this week ... and then predicted Mizzou to win and cover. I am nothing if not a hedger.)

In terms of S&P+, Middle Tennessee has been significantly better than Kentucky and South Carolina this year and (because numbers can never be clean and easy) ranks well ahead of a Vanderbilt team that beat the Blue Raiders earlier in the year. But the reaction to losing to MTSU instead of Kentucky or South Carolina is always going to be worse. It’s Directional State! We should always be better than them! That is true. But it doesn’t always get to be the case.

When Scherer and Gibson got hurt early in the game, that pretty much evened the tables completely. And wow, was MTSU’s run game able to maliciously attack the hole in the lineup where Scherer would have been.

Throw in 10 points off of turnovers and seven points off of a bad punt snap, and Missouri was lucky to lose by only six.....

I'm enjoying the win. I'm still down after WKU, which was a much bigger game, but anytime we can beat the SEC that's good.

Anyone see a loss for the Toppers ahead? Me neither.

The only teams I see that could possibly beat them is FIU and North Texas if WKU just plays a bad game. And who knows; maybe Marshall comes out and beats them. This conference has been really weird this year.

Last edited:
Unfortunately for Mizzou, MT isn't Eastern Michigan etc. Looks like a fan base that is fairly uneducated in the area of college football, or they wouldn't have taken this team for granted.

That's 90% of power 5 fans. They know nothing about college football except what E$PN tells them.

Holy Cow. I have had so many people talk about MT in the Mount Juliet and Long Hunter area today. Wearing my colors .... haven't had this many people talking in a long time.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT