ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS Middle Tennessee/Meharry deal

I'm just not seeing the big deal for MT in this. The benefit for MT seems pretty minimal.

I'm just not seeing the big deal for MT in this. The benefit for MT seems pretty minimal.

It's a recruitment tool. When I was in academia, we had a 3+3 program like this that would get you into Vet school. Students, who NEVER would have considered our school otherwise, went there simply because they could get their vet degree faster than the traditional route. Plus the tuition offset is a HUGE recruiting tool. Same with 2 other schools I worked at drawing future Rural MDs for the state. I know these types of programs bring in new students, because I have seen them work.

It's a win-win for both schools & it will give much needed medical coverage to areas in our state that really need.

Reactions: BlueRaiderNation
It's a recruitment tool. When I was in academia, we had a 3+3 program like this that would get you into Vet school. Students, who NEVER would have considered our school otherwise, went there simply because they could get their vet degree faster than the traditional route. Plus the tuition offset is a HUGE recruiting tool. Same with 2 other schools I worked at drawing future Rural MDs for the state. I know these types of programs bring in new students, because I have seen them work.

It's a win-win for both schools & it will give much needed medical coverage to areas in our state that really need.

If MT had this program and a medical school, then I'd say it was a pretty big deal for the university. Getting grant $$ for about a dozen quality academic undergrads is a positive. They then move on to a professional school elsewhere just doesn't seem to be that big of a deal for MT. No more benefit than having about a dozen more scholarships added to a 20,000+ undergrad population. Again, good in a little more grant money for some good students. I just don't see the big deal beyond that.

Seems like all that controversy, McPhee could pick up the phone and offer a place on MT's campus and have students partner with St Thomas Rutherford?

Nope, the local hospital is part of Ascension...no way we'd ever partner with a "Catholic" led institution, not politically correct.

Reactions: MTTim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT