ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (7-3, 1-0) vs UT-Chattanooga (7-3, 0-0) (ESPN+), 6PM, Thursday, December 15, 2022

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Enrollment: 10,308
Arena: McKenzie Arena (10,928)
Colors: Navy Blue & Gold Nickname: Mocs
Conference: Southern
Head Coach: Dan Earl
Record at School: 0-0 (1st Season) Career Record: 73-139 (8th Season)
2021-22 Record: 27-8, 14-4 2021-22 Finish: 1st Southern 2021-22 Postseason: NCAA First Round
Starters R/L: 1/4 Letterwinners R/L: 6/10

Last edited:
Will be my first home game after purchasing season tickets. Have been busy on all the other home games. My son is home for the holidays from UTC, so he is excited about going to watch. Pretty sure he will be pulling for MT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noogaraider1
Big game. Hope folks turn out in droves for this one! The $4 ticket special will hopefully have helped.

Excited to be able to see this one in person Thursday.. my former coach Randy Wiel will be in the house as I understand with Andy Herzer and some others in MT coaching history... guessing that won't please many here :cool:
Go Raiders!

Reactions: subkyle
Excited to be able to see this one in person Thursday.. my former coach Randy Wiel will be in the house as I understand with Andy Herzer and some others in MT coaching history... guessing that won't please many here :cool:
Go Raiders!
Coach Wiel was a good guy & a smart guy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he spoke 4 or more languages. Remember his 1st couple of teams did win 19 games before falling on hard times. He did have some good players. Not sure if anyone recalls but one of my favorites was the amazing dunk artist John Humphreys. He would literally leave your jaw dropped to the floor. Good memories

Coach Wiel was a good guy & a smart guy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he spoke 4 or more languages. Remember his 1st couple of teams did win 19 games before falling on hard times. He did have some good players. Not sure if anyone recalls but one of my favorites was the amazing dunk artist John Humphreys. He would literally leave your jaw dropped to the floor. Good memories
Yep- Wiel speaks English, Dutch, and French at least.. a bunch of us from UNC Asheville came over that first summer and worked basketball camp at Middle.. obviously I was playing at that time so didn't follow those MTSU teams much but remember thinking the staff went the JUCO route and it never panned out there but y'all know better than me.. I also know that that Carolina system he ran at Asheville was the most complicated offensive sets I've ever been involved with- you really had to have time in that system to get it- made all the sense in the world why Dean Smith didn't really play underclassmen- you need a ton a time/reps to be able to be proficient in that system... guessing that's even harder with JUCO kids who are typically less structured and if nothing else don't have a lot of time left in their career by the time they transferred..

Coach Wiel did a great job with the players he inherited. I think the players worked better within his style than they did with Coach Farar, but things fell off quickly as he just wasn't able to recruit good players for his system. He had several players that played on the Puerto Rican National team. One was a very good sophomore and tried to bulk up for his junior year. He tore his knee up and never made it back. We then went through a very dry period.

Never heard anyone say a negative word about Randy.sometimes things just don’t work out. Does his family still live in the area?

It wasn't necessarily negative. I think he was a good person and a good coach. He just didn't recruit well.

Randy was the coach during my time as a student.

As a person, probably one of the most talented men to coach basketball at the Murph. Languages, musician, coach. Part of the Dean Smith coaching tree.

This was a time where basketball was trying to find an identity after Bruce Stewart. Hard hard years where it was tough to watch...especially his last two years.

Remember, we had a drought of not going to ANY tournament from 1989-2012.

Had a true center in Lee Nosse that shot like PG but rarely showed his stuff at C. Tommy Gunn, William PIppen (scottie pippen nephew), John Humphrey..some south American players that could shoot the tre...

No signature wins. Overall 84-90. He resigned two years before his contract was over. No conference championships.

I believe the phrase "asleep at the weil" was tossed around the last couple of seasons.....

Reactions: SpaceRaider
His signature win was beating Providence in the Top of the World Classic in Fairbanks, AK. I was at the tourney in his first year. Providence had Austin Crocere (sp) and God Shamgod and went to the final 4 that season. Never forget coach Pete Gillen’s shock at losing that game to us.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Randy was the coach during my time as a student.

As a person, probably one of the most talented men to coach basketball at the Murph. Languages, musician, coach. Part of the Dean Smith coaching tree.

This was a time where basketball was trying to find an identity after Bruce Stewart. Hard hard years where it was tough to watch...especially his last two years.

Remember, we had a drought of not going to ANY tournament from 1989-2012.

Had a true center in Lee Nosse that shot like PG but rarely showed his stuff at C. Tommy Gunn, William PIppen (scottie pippen nephew), John Humphrey..some south American players that could shoot the tre...

No signature wins. Overall 84-90. He resigned two years before his contract was over. No conference championships.

I believe the phrase "asleep at the weil" was tossed around the last couple of seasons.....
I remember Tommy. Always thought if he had been in a better system with some good complimentary players he could have been a star here.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Freddie Martinez, Fernando Ortiz, etc.....

Fun fact: Tyrone Calico was on the 99 squad briefly....

I also remember Johnny Cobb had arms like this:

Biceps GIF by Go HAM | Clothing & Lifestyle Fitness Brand

Would like it if we could have a brief montage on the PA of Monte Hale at his best during halftime. In the early to mid 70's I spent many an hour listening to Monte call some great games for the Raiders. Not to be corny, but he could even make a free throw call entertaining. To quote him from decades ago "A flick of the wrist, the Crack of the net."
Thanks Monte!

Reactions: crassyblue
Would like it if we could have a brief montage on the PA of Monte Hale at his best during halftime. In the early to mid 70's I spent many an hour listening to Monte call some great games for the Raiders. Not to be corny, but he could even make a free throw call entertaining. To quote him from decades ago "A flick of the wrist, the Crack of the net."
Thanks Monte!
One of my favorite memories was sitting on the floor of the frat house with several friends drinking beer and eating pizza while listening to Hale call a game at the little Red Barn at Clarksville. I listened to several PbP guys during that time and I have to say none were better than Monte Hale. I remember telling someone that it was a shame he didn't live long enough to see/call the first NCAA tourney win against Kentucky in '82.

One of my favorite memories was sitting on the floor of the frat house with several friends drinking beer and eating pizza while listening to Hale call a game at the little Red Barn at Clarksville. I listened to several PbP guys during that time and I have to say none were better than Monte Hale. I remember telling someone that it was a shame he didn't live long enough to see/call the first NCAA tourney win against Kentucky in '82.
Your frat house memories of listening to Monte sound better than mine. But still memorable for a 12 year old I would shoot nerf hoops in my bedroom listening to him call games on a little radio. Jimmy Earle's '75 NCAA team was my favorite all time team. Still remember fondly Monte calling "Peeler gets the ball.....from 35!!!....YES!!!!". 10,000 roaring in the background. I think Monte would add a few extra feet with each made shot. As a kid I loved it though, I was shooting long range with Peeler & company along with Monte's play by play

Reactions: Noogaraider1
While rambling about past teams, Space you & a few others may remember this. One of coach Earle's greatest "what if?" teams was 1978. We had a phenomenal forward named Greg Joyner. The previous year we had a freshman forward by the name of Jerry Beck who played JV ball. Against Duke's JV's Jerry scored 34 in a match up in Carolina. Even the Blue Devils thought he was awesome. The next year Earle had hopes that teaming Joyner & Beck would match or exceed the '75 squad, but a early season torn knee for Jerry ended those dreams. Side note: As a freshman I took a required HPER class & Jerry was in it. Super nice guy, & he never missed a single class that semester. Better than a majority of the class.

i was out of state in 77 and 78, but I remember Beck, Perry, Hailey, Campbell, Dorsey, Harris in the 81-82 season. I did see a couple of games with Joyner and others in the 76-77 season when I'd make it back. I recognized Joyner's talent but he was probably my least favorite Raider, because of his attitude he showed in a couple of games I witnessed.

Reactions: MTFAN61
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT