ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (7-3, 1-0) vs UT-Chattanooga (7-3, 0-0) (ESPN+), 6PM, Thursday, December 15, 2022

Chattanooga still riding that 1st half wave. They have excellent 3 point shooters, but I would at least try double teaming for a couple minutes their big man with Dish & Coleman-Jones

Game reminds me a lot of some of our games with Marshall in the Kermit era.
Agreed. Sad to see the winning streak broken on such a historic night for the school. Tonight Chattanooga is simply the better & more complete team. Looking at their schedule they've had much closer wins over teams not as good as MT. But tonight they are the dominant team.

Reactions: Hop45
Well, that was a bad loss that erased the Belmont win
Don’t consider it a bad loss as the Mocs are pretty darn good. With that said, these ARE the kind of games we need to win. That 7’1” Neanderthal they have us hard to stop but I thought Dish had one of his better games.

Mocs we're better tonight. I agree, Dish played well vs the big guy. That dude was good.

Reactions: MTFAN61
I’m guessing 6500

Announced was 5,832 on the stats sheet; eyeball estimate was around half that. Plenty of blue chairbacks empty and no bleachers pulled out. Wish we could have won on such a historic night, but effort was commendable. Their big guy Jake Stephens (#33) was dominant, and Chattanooga had a clutch answer whenever we closed the gap between 2-5 points and was able to build the lead back to 7–11-point margin. Rebounding was our glaring miscue tonight. We were clean in taking care of the ball and committing relatively few fouls. Credit Chattanooga Mocs for playing efficient basketball and being the better team.

Reactions: Hop45
Randy was the coach during my time as a student.

As a person, probably one of the most talented men to coach basketball at the Murph. Languages, musician, coach. Part of the Dean Smith coaching tree.

This was a time where basketball was trying to find an identity after Bruce Stewart. Hard hard years where it was tough to watch...especially his last two years.

Remember, we had a drought of not going to ANY tournament from 1989-2012.

Had a true center in Lee Nosse that shot like PG but rarely showed his stuff at C. Tommy Gunn, William PIppen (scottie pippen nephew), John Humphrey..some south American players that could shoot the tre...

No signature wins. Overall 84-90. He resigned two years before his contract was over. No conference championships.

I believe the phrase "asleep at the weil" was tossed around the last couple of seasons.....
A few years later, one of Weil's assts insinuated that for Weil, horses became his passion that last year or two. I always thought that sort of had the ring of truth to it.

I spent some years of my youth in or around the horse culture. Horses definitely becomes a love and a way of life for people so inclined. It would also explain why Weil stayed in Murfreesboro after MTSU. Plus, certainly he could have pursued bball had he wanted. He had a great resume, great recommendations, highly intelligent, and is generally likable. It also explained why the drop off in performance and intensity that he demonstrated his first few years here. There definitely was some intensity in those first few seasons.

Weil was always friendly and nice to me and my now ex. Both my ex and I really liked Weil's wife. We got to know her even better than Randy. We both thought highly of her. A super person. Sadly, over the years we just drifted and eventually lost touch.

A few years ago when my boy was finishing his years at Siegel High, he came home after school one day and said you are never going to believe who is filling in for my teacher that is out. Yep, Randy Weil. He said him and his friends had a great time with Weil as his teacher. He really liked him.

I figured you all wouldn't mind my trip down memory lane as this thread has trended that way anyways. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT