ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (5-5, 3-3) vs ODU (4-6, 3-3) (ESPN+), 2:30PM, Saturday, November 20, 2021

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
game thread, a work in progress:

odu-stadium-no-bug.jpg

Old Dominion University
Founded: 1930 Enrollment: 24,932 Undergrad 19,612 Postgrad 5,058
Acceptance rate: 81.9%
Colors: Slate Blue, Silver, and Light Blue Nickname: Monarchs Fight song: ODU Fight Song
Series: MT leads 4-0
Stadium: S.B. Ballard (20,118)
Head Coach: Ricky Rahne (Cornell, 2002)
Record at ODU: 0-0 (1st year) Overall: 0-0 (2nd)
2020 Record: 0-0 2020 Bowl: None
Starters Ret./Lost: 8/17 Lettermen R/L: 27/33

Weather Forecast: Sunny, 60F

Where: Johnny “Red” Floyd Stadium/Horace Jones Field, 1500 Greenland Dr, Murfreesboro, TN 37130

Stadium Policies: Clear Bag/stadium seat/cushion policy,

Television:
ESPN+ Play-by-play: Jake Rose, Analyst: Jeremy Kellem

Radio: PxP: Chip Walters, Analyst: Wes Counts, Murfreesboro – WGNS 1450 AM/100.5 FM/101.9 FM; Lynchburg – WDUC 93.9 FM; Nashville – The Game 102.5 FM/97.5 FM;

Streaming: LISTEN, Video

Live Stats: LIVE STATS

Newspapers: The Virginian-Pilot, The Daily Press, ,

Message Boards:
The Lions Den,

Blogs: ,

Athletic site:
odusports.com, goblueraiders.com

Media Guides: ODU, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews: , , ,

Game Notes:
ODU Notes, MT Game Notes, CUSA Weekly Notes

Roster: Monarchs, Blue Raiders

Game Previews: ,,

Twitter:
@ODUSports, @ODUFootball, , @Harry_MiniumODU, @TedAlexanderodu, , , , , , , , @PlantersBowl,

Hashtags:
#ODUFB , #ODUSports, #DeepBlueODU, #aimhigh, #PlantersBowl , #MTvsODU, #BlueRaiders, , , ,

Facebook:
ODUSports, ODUFootball, ,

Youtube:
ODUSports, ,, ,

Instagram:
ODUSports, , ,

Last edited:
I would think our chances are a lot less than 77%. ODU has been a completely different team since they made the QB change to Wolff, so this game is 50/50 at best.

Reactions: TRUEBLUE73
MT is -3 and many will take the bait.

ODU wins this game

-3 is a scary bet because I do think this game is more even and our O line doesn't do well with this type of D front. The key is we play better at home. We just do. ODU plays better at their house. The FAU game was a big win for them so it will bbe interesting how they handle that type of success and how it translates on the road.

Our D plays really well at home so I'm hoping they get some more scores and on special teams as well. I'm prrobably going to this one. We at least have something to play for. That's more than I can say for the last 2 seasons. I think it will be a slobberknocker.

Should be a great college football game. Both teams don't have great records but are playing pretty good football right now. ODU is playing really good actually. After the debacle up in Bowling Green last week I cannot say the same for us, but we are playing pretty good ball right now.

I think defense and special teams will bring it as always but I see Vattiato struggling here. ODU defense is pretty good, about like ours, and they travel well. ODU has won 3 in a row and playing with a ton of confidence. They make it 4 in a row here in the Boro in a convincing win.

Team is welcome to prove me wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: blueraiderJT
This is a game looking to before and deep into this season, I had as a solid MT win. If MT loses this, it makes the chances of a losing season much more likely. High 90s percentage likely. No bowl for you Stockstill

Old Dominion (MT leads 4-0)

Year W/L Score Site

2014 W 41-28 A
2017 W 41-10 H
2018 W 51-17 A
2019 W 38-17 H

At Murfreesboro: 2-0
At Norfolk: 2-0

The most interesting stat to me is that ODU played FIU the week before we played them. ODU allowed FIU to get 24 points and 435 yards with 315 of those yards were in the air.

We held FIU to 155 TOTAL YARDS! 88 in the air. Their offense put up more yardage than we did but the defensive edge definitely goes to us.

It really is a coin flip game at this point. Without Wolff, we destroy them as they become one dimensional. With him, they are dangerous. FAU played like crap though. I watched the game live and once again after and yeah, FAU is very beatable.

What's crazy about the east is that you have 4 teams on the bowl bubble.

FAU - 5-5 They play @WKU this weekend. They will be 5-6 playing us to get B.E.

Charlotte - 5-5 They have Marshall this weekend. I predict they will be 5-6 playing ODU to get B.E.

ODU - 4-6 They have to win out. They will lose one of these games. If they beat us, they have CLT at home.

MT - 5-5. If we win out, we go from 6th to 2nd in the east. LOL. That's crazy. We would also eliminate 2 teams from B.E. If we lose this weekend, we are done and go 5-7.

FAU - 5-5 They play @WKU this weekend. They will be 5-6 playing us to get B.E.

Charlotte - 5-5 They have Marshall this weekend. I predict they will be 5-6 playing ODU to get B.E.

ODU - 4-6 They have to win out. They will lose one of these games. If they beat us, they have CLT at home.

MT - 5-5. If we win out, we go from 6th to 2nd in the east. LOL. That's crazy. We would also eliminate 2 teams from B.E. If we lose this weekend, we are done and go 5-7.
I could see where MT goes 7-5, but that would take MT's best games and ODU's and FAU's worst games.

Crazy but I think even if MT finishes with that dreaded phrase 'bowl eligibility' I can see where the Raiders might be passed over for more attractive teams since there probably are going to be more than enough teams for the bowl slots. That would be so middle and in this case I'm okay with it, because I do not want to witness a blowout bowl loss which would be most likely.

Last edited:
Idk. There is a part of me that says these two games will determine if Stock stays or retires. If he does, I'm good with getting a bowl and sending him out on a hopeful good note.

Isn’t there one scenario where overall record would get MT winning East by multiple team tiebreaker? (highly improbable) think it would work out like this, if math and rules work like this:

WKU: must lose out to FAU and Marshall. 3 losses in conference. Record of 6-6 vs our 7-5

Marshall: Must lose to Charlotte and will defeat WKU. 3 losses in conference. We own tiebreaker head to head.

Charlotte: Wins against Marshall and must lose to ODU. That would be loss 4 in conference and we finish ahead.

MT: Must win out ODU and FAU, plus scenarios to get a 3-way first tie with WKU/Marshall. We own head to head on Marshall and better overall on WKU if happens. There’s something on multiple ties and overall record. Two way tie with WKU will mean WKU heads to Championship. A three way with WKU/Charlotte lose that one. Doesn’t look possible for a 4-way East tie?

All that for a rematch with UTSA at San Antonio. It’s a very dim chance, but not exactly zero either.

• Love
Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Is ODU, USM and Marshall joining the SBCin 22 or 23? I thought it was 23. If it's 23, don't we play them again?

Bowl eligibility on the line! Big home game! New facilities coming! We doing a a in person gomiddle tailgate someplace to celebrate/drum up donations for the cause?

Blue raiders ride……

Edge of your seat type stuff this weekend. This what mtsu football and conference USA are all about! The train is leaving the station and ODU better get off the tracks before ol stocky hangs 50 on em!

"A win over Old Dominion (4-6) would give the Blue Raiders a clean sweep of their home schedule, something that hasn't been done since 2001."

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT