ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (5-5, 3-3) vs ODU (4-6, 3-3) (ESPN+), 2:30PM, Saturday, November 20, 2021

At one point in the game, I was thinking ODU was playing dirty, but in hindsight it was a simple move that showed how lifeless our staff is. On the kickoff, after our first score, they were called for three unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on the same play. Between me and my friend we were able to see two of the three and they should have been called personal fouls instead. I'm guessing the third was similar. Since they didn't happen in the same place, I don't believe you get three of those on one play unless the coach tells you to do it. They decided to smack us square in the mouth to see how we responded and we saw what happened.
After they determined they were both on ODU, why didn't they move them back 15 more yards? Never could figure that one out.

After they determined they were both on ODU, why didn't they move them back 15 more yards? Never could figure that one out.
It was originally 2 on us and 2 on them, then changed to 3 against them and 1 against us, but was still offsetting penalties and the ball wasn't moved. I would have thought their two-penalty advantage would have counted for something, but it didn't. I looked to see if CRS was arguing, but he just looked bored.

Reactions: Hop45
I literally get sick thinking about students having to get completely fleeced on student fees for this. If I were a student, I would be voting on this to shut this crap down as a representative of the council.
Only 5 current FBS coaches with more losses than CRS. As far as lower winning %, Doug Martin @ NMSU is done after this season, and David Cutcliffe is almost assuredly retiring after this season. The other 3 all have overall winning records. The only one at his job longer than Stock is Kirk Ferentz at Iowa, who is .620. The others are Mack Brown and Mike Leach, whose names and reputations speak for themselves, and those two guys won't be there too much longer if they don't right their respective ships (no pirate lingo intended).

On a somewhat related note, if Stock makes $901.5K per year, and his current contract (signed in 2017) runs through 12/31/25, that equates to $3.6M left after this season. Why is his buyout significantly more than that? Isn't it upwards of $5.0M after this season?

Last edited:
I haven’t. I just took the word of folks on here who did nothing but run down the MAC and their low budget crap programs and facilities.

Somehow, in the last few hours, all these MAC programs built a bunch of world class facilities and became quality programs. Weird.

I guess 5 years from now, when we’re playing Tarleton State and Furman in front of 350 friends and family we can point to the fancy new weight room.

There’s no way MAC schools can recruit down south. I think you need to check your sources.

I was assured by a lot of folks here that if we joined the MAC, we would simply not be able to sign anyone south of the Ohio river.

Personally, I always subscribed to the idea that your recruiting territory was about a 4 hour driving circle from your campus. A circle that is probably as talent rich as any when compared to MAC teams.

Doesn’t really matter though. I still think we’d be able to land those no-star nobody’s who’s other offers are West Georgia and Carson Newman.
I love how you over generalize and irrationally state things attributed to other people there was never actually said.

Anyone who doesn't think facilities plays a mammoth role in recruiting are the ones not paying attention. Schools don't spend multi-millions of dollars "just in case" it helps in the off chance it makes a difference. If you want a consistent winner you must have something slightly better than antiquated infrastructure.

But Spaceraider is right too. It's starts with the culture which stems directly from the head football coach. If you consistently lay eggs when the facilities are decent whenever the opportunities present themselves (i.e. laying turds when playing anything of relevance, laying turds when the largest crowds attend, laying turds nearly every single time we were on national TV, acting like getting bowl eligible is the pinnacle, etc.,) then facilities aren't going to matter much.

So, yeah facilities are important to recruiting. But the coach sets the tone for the program and for a winning culture. Facilities mean noting if the coaching staff has their heads up their asses. All of this is important. It's all relevant and important in a cumulative sort of way. No one single thing is going to make the difference. To build a winner you must know what you're doing to actually win. That's not what's happening at little middle.

Anyone who doesn't think facilities plays a mammoth role in recruiting are the ones not paying attention. Schools don't spend multi-millions of dollars "just in case" it helps in the off chance it makes a difference. If you want a consistent winner you must have something slightly better than antiquated infrastructure.

But Spaceraider is right too. It's starts with the culture which stems directly from the head football coach. If you consistently lay eggs when the facilities are decent whenever the opportunities present themselves (i.e. laying turds when playing anything of relevance, laying turds when the largest crowds attend, laying turds nearly every single time we were on national TV, acting like getting bowl eligible is the pinnacle, etc.,) then facilities aren't going to matter much.

So, yeah facilities are important to recruiting. But the coach sets the tone for the program and for a winning culture. Facilities mean noting if the coaching staff has their heads up their asses. All of this is important. It's all relevant and important in a cumulative sort of way. No one single thing is going to make the difference. To build a winner you must know what you're doing to actually win. That's not what's happening at little middle.
That’s pretty much my point. I’m for a change in coaching. I’m also for new facilities. Getting dirt moving and hiring a young coach would be a great new chapter for football. Do y’all think the fan base would come back if that were to happen? Let’s say for example, they started building phase one today and had a new coach in a few weeks. What do you think attendance would be for Missouri next year vs what would it be without either (butts in seat)? Looking for some input from the people that have been here a long time. I’m trying to understand all of the issues here.

That’s pretty much my point. I’m for a change in coaching. I’m also for new facilities. Getting dirt moving and hiring a young coach would be a great new chapter for football. Do y’all think the fan base would come back if that were to happen? Let’s say for example, they started building phase one today and had a new coach in a few weeks. What do you think attendance would be for Missouri next year vs what would it be without either (butts in seat)? Looking for some input from the people that have been here a long time. I’m trying to understand all of the issues here.
I'd be back if that happened,

I bet students would flip if they knew they were subsidizing such bullshite. Athletics is the highest "Program Services Fee" that they pay and it totals to $480 for two semesters for a full time student. I want to know how much of this is going to Rick's salary. He is not increasing the value of the "front porch" of the university. What a flipping mess.

https://www.mtsu.edu/tuition/forms/19-20ProgramServFee.pdf
https://www.mtsu.edu/tuition/forms/21-22_Undergraduate.pdf
Middle Tennessee State University 2019-20 Program Services Fees $78 per hour up to 12 hours
Student Debt Service 204.00
Student Recreation 61.00
Student Government Association 40.00
Postal Services 12.00
Sustainable Campus Fee (Green Fee) 8.00
Athletics 240.00
Campus Access (Parking Services) 115.00
Technology Access Fee 112.50
Health Services 90.50
International Fee 16.00
Facilities Fee 36.00
Grand Total 935.00

Reactions: Raiderclyde
I bet students would flip if they knew they were subsidizing such bullshite. Athletics is the highest "Program Services Fee" that they pay and it totals to $480 for two semesters for a full time student. I want to know how much of this is going to Rick's salary. He is not increasing the value of the "front porch" of the university. What a flipping mess.

Middle Tennessee State University 2019-20 Program Services Fees $78 per hour up to 12 hours
Student Recreation 61.00
Postal Services 12.00
Athletics 240.00
Health Services 90.50
International Fee 16.00
Facilities Fee 36.00
Grand Total 935.00
Wow, What a bargain (lol!).

$240 a semester is actually more than full price on season tickets. It’s not free admission to sporting events as it’s often and proudly exclaimed. That works out to about $48 if priced off of just five football games? But wait, there’s more—one can go see basketball, track, and volleyball too. And baseball in the spring…oh, but that will cost another $240 since it’s in spring semester. Love those captive student fees…lol!

Program services fee is an interesting one to figure out. I knew we had a plethora of fees back in my day, but it seems even more nickel-and-dimes nowadays.

And, now one may know some reasons why alumni giving isn’t so great. Getting squeezed on a college student budget causes many alumni to say (this one as quoted to me): “ I paid my tuition and parking fees , Got fully fleeced at the bookstore, graduated in 198x, so why should I support my university if it bureaucratically gets squandered?” Actually had someone to say that paraphrased quote to me (that person will remain nameless) at an alumni event in the fall of 2016.

Goes back to value for money spent. Right now there isn’t that much, just being candid.

Student Recreation 61.00
Postal Services 12.00
Athletics 240.00
Health Services 90.50
International Fee 16.00
Facilities Fee 36.00
Grand Total 935.00
International Fee?

Trips to China for mcphee?

Wow, What a bargain (lol!).

$240 a semester is actually more than full price on season tickets. It’s not free admission to sporting events as it’s often and proudly exclaimed. That works out to about $48 if priced off of just five football games? But wait, there’s more—one can go see basketball, track, and volleyball too. And baseball in the spring…oh, but that will cost another $240 since it’s in spring semester. Love those captive student fees…lol!

Program services fee is an interesting one to figure out. I knew we had a plethora of fees back in my day, but it seems even more nickel-and-dimes nowadays.

And, now one may know some reasons why alumni giving isn’t so great. Getting squeezed on a college student budget causes many alumni to say (this one as quoted to me): “ I paid my tuition and parking fees , Got fully fleeced at the bookstore, graduated in 198x, so why should I support my university if it bureaucratically gets squandered?” Actually had someone to say that paraphrased quote to me (that person will remain nameless) at an alumni event in the fall of 2016.

Goes back to value for money spent. Right now there isn’t that much, just being candid.
I don’t think many students care about the fee. I’m sure there may be a vocal few but the majority I would guess don’t (myself included). The part that would probably get a few people fired up is the fact that money isn’t being used efficiently. If that fee meant winning 9 games in the regular season with some division titles sprinkled in I’m sure the students would be happier to pay (maybe even more). Student fees are like alumni giving. The more we win, the more people are willing to open their checkbooks.

Reactions: RaiderDeez

Solid post. Facilities are important. But in our situation, they're like remodeling the living room in a house that's on fire.

The renderings sure look nice, but it's no help to a program that is as rotten to the core as ours is. The foundation of any successful program (especially at the G5 level) is a core of fans/donors/booster that contribute financially. We have none of that. Until you fix the basic competitive-ness issues and actually rebuild a fan/donor/booster base, we're going to end right back up in the same place, only with a nice shiny building that will not be used for anything productive.

The program needed facilities. But they could have done something that would have excited and energized the fan base (MAC, or new coaches, or something), and maybe used that to grow the program and then build your facilities.

This is re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic. The ship is still sinking.

I suppose there's is a scenario where Stock all of a sudden decides to expend some effort on recruiting players who are actually talented enough to play FBS football and they are impressed by our new facilities and boom we take off. I just don't see it as likely.

It's far more likely that any decent players we contact are going to say, "I like your weight room, but i'm not interested in a glorified FCS conference in front of 2500 fans that's not on TV (that anyone actually gets) and I'm not interested in playing in New Mexico or middle of nowhere Virginia, so thanks, but I think i'm going to go to Georgia State."

But we've beaten this dead horse down to dust.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT