ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (5-5, 3-3) vs ODU (4-6, 3-3) (ESPN+), 2:30PM, Saturday, November 20, 2021

Have you seen the facilities in the MAC? While their football stadiums may be old their football ops centers are pretty nice. CMU, Buffalo and even EMU all have new facilities. Geez, even UMASS has a new ops center. I doubt we’d own the conference just because we’re spending double those schools for coaching.

Sure, fans will likely never step foot inside the ops center but y’all can’t be this naive. Athletes will spend the majority of their time there. Those facilities even the playing field in terms of recruiting. Are facilities going to solve all of our issues? No, but they will at least get us back to relevant.

If we want success like, App, CCU, WKU, Liberty, etc. we desperately need new facilities. All of those schools have great facilities. Honestly, as a new fan looking at MTSU, I can’t believe Rick and team have been able to be .500 with the crappy facilities we have. Kids these days like flashy and we certainly don’t have any of that.

Fans will come back when we start winning. Facilities will help that because we “should” start getting better athletes. Even if we made a change in coaching a young coach would be stupid to come here with the facilities we have. The expectation would be to take what we have and be at least bowl eligible. That’s a tough sell. I sure as heck wouldn’t take the job. Our facilities are on par with ULM but we’ve had better results. No way I’d touch the MTSU job until these are complete.

Fans complain, it’s what we do. Let’s not act like we’re a conference move away from success. We just aren’t, the problems here are way deeper than that. The move to the MAC may have brought fans back for a few games but as soon as we go back to being a .500 team then what? I wanted the MAC because I assumed we would be staying in CUSA with no improvements to facilities but if they actually get facilities improved because of staying then I’m all for it.
Sorry, but half the complaints against the MAC were that they were crappy low-budget programs with crappy facilities and we would never want to associate with them.

Now, all of a sudden the MAC is loaded with facility rich programs….like UMass and Eastern Michigan that we couldnt compete with?

I ain’t buying it.

Our advantages over the MAC we’re our recruiting footprint and budget. That makes up for facilities.

Facilites isn’t the reason we don’t recruit any good players. Facilities aren’t the reason we have no fans, no money. We didn’t win 15 years ago when our facilities weren’t a hinderance.

If you really think a shiny new expanded weight room and a practice bubble is the only thing keeping this program down, you are seriously delusional.

Wes commented on this during the radio broadcast. Said we needed to stretch the field.
No matter who the OC has been over the years, play-calling stays the same.
Lateral pass, no run game, 3 rd and long, punt.
Wash, rinse, repeat
I was at the game live watching the lack of O so I appreciate Wes insight but the stretching the field approach failed.

I just saw video of the Raider walk and the. It showed the players headed into the basketball arena to dress. Our facilities are so bad. Football players dressing in a basketball arena with weights outside. Come on get this dirt moving please.

Reactions: ewglenn
I would like one person to explain to me why our play calling looked like Tony Franklin was back. Lateral Pass after lateral pass followed by a run up the middle. Pitiful play calling.
It has never mattered who the OC was because Stuckstill injects a large dose of mediocre into the offense. And I'd say the defense suffers from the same affliction.

At one point in the game, I was thinking ODU was playing dirty, but in hindsight it was a simple move that showed how lifeless our staff is. On the kickoff, after our first score, they were called for three unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on the same play. Between me and my friend we were able to see two of the three and they should have been called personal fouls instead. I'm guessing the third was similar. Since they didn't happen in the same place, I don't believe you get three of those on one play unless the coach tells you to do it. They decided to smack us square in the mouth to see how we responded and we saw what happened.

• Sad
Reactions: SpaceRaider
I hope we lose at FAU, still have APR to get in a bowl … then lose so we can hit the magic 100 number. I hate it could happen in Week 1 next season since no change is happening. #sickos

I agree athletic facilities are important, but it's more than that. It's also the overall vibe of the campus that students and student-athletes consider when deciding where they might want to spend four years of their life. I realize not all schools can have a beautiful campus like Ohio University (see below) and Miami University, but Middle Tennessee has a commuter school feel about it and until that changes, the number of students attending games will always be limited because students will continue to choose to go home for the weekend rather than stay on campus.

That said, I'm not buying the suggestion that Middle Tennessee could out recruit the MAC. I realize Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti has inherited disadvantages because it's overshadowed by its larger, more prestigious neighbor, the University of Michigan that is located only 10 miles away. But other than EMU, I just don't believe Middle has recruiting advantages over other MAC schools. As pointed out by others, the MAC recruits very well in the South.

Reactions: ewglenn
I just don't believe Middle has recruiting advantages over other MAC schools. As pointed out by others, the MAC recruits very well in the South.
If southern schools really had a recruiting advantage, then the top 10 would be dominated by Texas and Florida schools every year and nobody would have ever heard of Boise State.

Coaching is by far the most important ingredient to success.

Mullen is out at Florida. I guess they don't like playing for .500.

#fireStockstill #FreeMTSU

I would like one person to explain to me why our play calling looked like Tony Franklin was back. Lateral Pass after lateral pass followed by a run up the middle. Pitiful play calling.
Sorry, but half the complaints against the MAC were that they were crappy low-budget programs with crappy facilities and we would never want to associate with them.

Now, all of a sudden the MAC is loaded with facility rich programs….like UMass and Eastern Michigan that we couldnt compete with?

I ain’t buying it.

Our advantages over the MAC we’re our recruiting footprint and budget. That makes up for facilities.

Facilites isn’t the reason we don’t recruit any good players. Facilities aren’t the reason we have no fans, no money. We didn’t win 15 years ago when our facilities weren’t a hinderance.

If you really think a shiny new expanded weight room and a practice bubble is the only thing keeping this program down, you are seriously delusional.
So I take it you haven’t looked into the MACs facilities. Going to the MAC wasn’t going to fix our problems. Fixing a massive issue is a much better approach but I’m the delusional one lol. 👌

Reactions: cfly1980
I hope we lose at FAU, still have APR to get in a bowl … then lose so we can hit the magic 100 number. I hate it could happen in Week 1 next season since no change is happening. #sickos
I like how you think. I thought 100 was impossible but now there's hope!

Reactions: cfly1980
I scrolled through that a couple of times. I did not see any current FBS coaches. I had done a search earlier and I could not find any active FBS coach with as many losses. Does anyone know if that is correct. Does Stockstill lead all active FBS coaches with losses?

This was at the beginning of the season, but Kirk Ferentz has over 100. It shows 88 losses for Cutcliffe, and I'm assuming that's just at Duke. His Ole Miss losses probably put him over 100.

So I take it you haven’t looked into the MACs facilities. Going to the MAC wasn’t going to fix our problems. Fixing a massive issue is a much better approach but I’m the delusional one lol. 👌

I haven’t. I just took the word of folks on here who did nothing but run down the MAC and their low budget crap programs and facilities.

Somehow, in the last few hours, all these MAC programs built a bunch of world class facilities and became quality programs. Weird.

I guess 5 years from now, when we’re playing Tarleton State and Furman in front of 350 friends and family we can point to the fancy new weight room.

I agree athletic facilities are important, but it's more than that. It's also the overall vibe of the campus that students and student-athletes consider when deciding where they might want to spend four years of their life. I realize not all schools can have a beautiful campus like Ohio University (see below) and Miami University, but Middle Tennessee has a commuter school feel about it and until that changes, the number of students attending games will always be limited because students will continue to choose to go home for the weekend rather than stay on campus.

That said, I'm not buying the suggestion that Middle Tennessee could out recruit the MAC. I realize Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti has inherited disadvantages because it's overshadowed by its larger, more prestigious neighbor, the University of Michigan that is located only 10 miles away. But other than EMU, I just don't believe Middle has recruiting advantages over other MAC schools. As pointed out by others, the MAC recruits very well in the South.

There’s no way MAC schools can recruit down south. I think you need to check your sources.

I was assured by a lot of folks here that if we joined the MAC, we would simply not be able to sign anyone south of the Ohio river.

Personally, I always subscribed to the idea that your recruiting territory was about a 4 hour driving circle from your campus. A circle that is probably as talent rich as any when compared to MAC teams.

Doesn’t really matter though. I still think we’d be able to land those no-star nobody’s who’s other offers are West Georgia and Carson Newman.

Reactions: MT Glenn
Only 5 current FBS coaches with more losses than CRS. As far as lower winning %, Doug Martin @ NMSU is done after this season, and David Cutcliffe is almost assuredly retiring after this season. The other 3 all have overall winning records. The only one at his job longer than Stock is Kirk Ferentz at Iowa, who is .620. The others are Mack Brown and Mike Leach, whose names and reputations speak for themselves, and those two guys won't be there too much longer if they don't right their respective ships (no pirate lingo intended).

On a somewhat related note, if Stock makes $901.5K per year, and his current contract (signed in 2017) runs through 12/31/25, that equates to $3.6M left after this season. Why is his buyout significantly more than that? Isn't it upwards of $5.0M after this season?

Only 5 current FBS coaches with more losses than CRS. As far as lower winning %, Doug Martin @ NMSU is done after this season, and David Cutcliffe is almost assuredly retiring after this season. The other 3 all have overall winning records. The only one at his job longer than Stock is Kirk Ferentz at Iowa, who is .620. The others are Mack Brown and Mike Leach, whose names and reputations speak for themselves, and those two guys won't be there too much longer if they don't right their respective ships (no pirate lingo intended).

On a somewhat related note, if Stock makes $901.5K per year, and his current contract (signed in 2017) runs through 12/31/25, that equates to $3.6M left after this season. Why is his buyout significantly more than that? Isn't it upwards of $5.0M after this season?
What’s another $1.4 mil among friends??? 😂😂

I haven’t. I just took the word of folks on here who did nothing but run down the MAC and their low budget crap programs and facilities.

Somehow, in the last few hours, all these MAC programs built a bunch of world class facilities and became quality programs. Weird.

I guess 5 years from now, when we’re playing Tarleton State and Furman in front of 350 friends and family we can point to the fancy new weight room.
That’s just people that haven’t done research saying that stuff:

EMU

CMU

Buffalo IPF

UMASS

Miami Ohio

Reactions: Raiderclyde
On the line

* Undefeated home season
* Bowl eligibility
* Win #100 for Stock
* Senior game
* 1st game after the big announcement...will all the press make people curious?
* East should be figured out by end of game...Marshall/Charlotte play same time and FAU/WKU play earlier.
* NOPE
* NOPE
* NOPE
* Feel sorry for those guys. They've worked hard. Deserve a better system to perform in.
* NOPE
* NOPE...next week. WKU vs. Marshall. One with a coach in his 1st year, one with a coach in his 3rd year. WOW. Us in 16th year with ONE division crown. Just WOW.

Agree about campus vibe. But, am not sure the "commuter school" image would truly fit anymore. It's a lot more involved and a lot deeper. Our peers are different now. Tennessee Tech, Western and Eastern Kentucky, and Murray State were peers a generation ago. Today its North Texas, Southern Miss, and Marshall.

Case in point: I grew up in Murfreesboro and experienced the results of fifty years of growth (remember our city limits did not reach I-24--most everything was on Broad Street and Murfreesboro Airport was out in the country). The MT student experience lifestyle for me was 28-32 years ago (including graduate school). For sure, it was more of a commuter feel in 1990 than in 2020. Murfreesboro in 1970 (basically my infancy/childhood) = 26,370. Murfreesboro in 1990 (MTSU student) = 44,922. Murfreesboro in 2020 = 152,769 (census) and 156,000 if latest revision estimates are believed. Since my student days, that is over one hundred thousand permanent residents coming inside the city limits of Murfreesboro!! And, I don't count anymore in those numbers since I reside outside the city limits (just barely). But, I certainly worship, shop, and technically work in Murfreesboro. There are countless thousands like me who can say the same. Eagleville, Smyrna, and Lavergne are likely not included in this demographic (because of their proximity to Nashville or Franklin/Cool Springs); that means for all intent and purposes one can estimate 225,000 are drawn to the economic hub we know as Murfreesboro. I'm sure the ECON 550 class (back in my day) in Urban and Regional Economics still focuses about this relationship of inflows and outflows being important factors in developing an economic base as well as the tax dollars required to support the roads, schools, police, and essential government service. Murfreesboro still has some of the best advantages anywhere. But, many of our advantages are being sadly being flushed down the toilet due to laziness, ineptness, unbridled growth, and apparently self-serving individuals. Some attempting to make a fast dollar while the real estate market remains excellent...oh well, that can happen anywhere.

All that said, where did MT fail with alumni engagement in demographics?

What about cultivating community relationship in Murfreesboro?

What about significant corporate relationships, such as Nissan and GM? Guess we got State Farm, but it appears those advertising spots are from local agents and not corporate?

What about commitment to Southern Middle Tennessee region (Bedford, Coffee, Franklin, Giles, Lincoln, Marshall, Maury, Moore)? Evidently, MT is in the process of abandoning that advantage to UT-Southern is my observation.

What about building closer ties with city-county government and partnerships? Can leadership find ways or creative partnerships to improve the "town and gown" approach that MT is a local and regional treasure?

What about professional programs that bring in higher alumni participation and giving? It's evident with us not being successful in obtaining a School of Law from Valparaiso a few years ago. Our "esteemed" BOT and Dr. McPhee failed to carry credibility and cachet whenever it really mattered; extremely disappointed in all involved in that fiasco.

Athletics has been an exercise in maintaining the "status quo" whatever that is: it's something akin to being .500 and being in good standing with the NCAA in academics. We're really not competitive with UTK, Alabama's, Georgia's, or even up and coming schools like ODU and UTSA. For example, I've never forgot that UTSA Road Runners curb stomped us at home in 25-45 in 2016 as I watch with my church group--they still had players from their initial team then while we looked outsmarted and clueless with coaches that had careers longer than the entire program. There are numerous losses that can be reviewed that are considered plain awful over the last 10-15 years. This cumulative effect is squarely on CRS and our Athletic Director, Chris Massaro. For individuals that say give the coaches a break, consider this why should one receive a $900,000 (approx.) salary or $200-300K salaries and not perform at a championship level while heads of departments might earn $150-175K in academics with a PhD and need enhancements in their fields? Some earn even less as full and associate professors. They need more resources and salary supports more so than coaches.

The point in all of this is the general public is smart about value. Many see through window dressing for what it is and say "no, thank you" when it comes to purchasing sky boxes, season tickets, merchandise, and giving to the athletics department or this new fund-raising campaign. They simply don't like the product and there are too many alternatives that compete for attention and money especially in the advent of professional sports in Nashville over the last 20+ years.

Certainly, I hope we are successful in the campaign to get new facilities we urgently need and refurbish ones we already have. But if we are merely throwing money at a problem without a full accountability and expectation, it won't yield conference championships or improve the stature and reputation of the university. It's just another building that must be maintained and will likely be obsolete shortly after it opens.

Athletic and academic reputation is where larger gifts are made and where people achieve higher starting salaries in their chosen professions. It creates value. I even had a BLAW professor who touted the immense value of a Vanderbilt degree versus a MT degree while teaching class! (My thought was the professor gladly accepted the monthly payroll check and was glad to earn my "A", but it is a credibility issue that somehow has to be confronted if we are to ever have a truly better university). Evidently MT leadership has either forgotten or ignoring that fact about creating value for the student and value for the community. Excellence must be a cornerstone in culture with all programs.

Last edited:
After going to MT game yesterday and Titans today, I may never attend another football game again. Just a terrible weekend of football!

• Sad
Reactions: SpaceRaider
Agree about campus vibe. But, am not sure the "commuter school" image would truly fit anymore. It's a lot more involved and a lot deeper. Our peers are different now. Tennessee Tech, Western and Eastern Kentucky, and Murray State were peers a generation ago. Today its North Texas, Southern Miss, and Marshall.

Case in point: I grew up in Murfreesboro and experienced the results of fifty years of growth (remember our city limits did not reach I-24--most everything was on Broad Street and Murfreesboro Airport was out in the country). The MT student experience lifestyle for me was 28-32 years ago (including graduate school). For sure, it was more of a commuter feel in 1990 than in 2020. Murfreesboro in 1970 (basically my infancy/childhood) = 26,370. Murfreesboro in 1990 (MTSU student) = 44,922. Murfreesboro in 2020 = 152,769 (census) and 156,000 if latest revision estimates are believed. Since my student days, that is over one hundred thousand permanent residents coming inside the city limits of Murfreesboro!! And, I don't count anymore in those numbers since I reside outside the city limits (just barely). But, I certainly worship, shop, and technically work in Murfreesboro. There are countless thousands like me who can say the same. Eagleville, Smyrna, and Lavergne are likely not included in this demographic (because of their proximity to Nashville or Franklin/Cool Springs); that means for all intent and purposes one can estimate 225,000 are drawn to the economic hub we know as Murfreesboro. I'm sure the ECON 550 class (back in my day) in Urban and Regional Economics still focuses about this relationship of inflows and outflows being important factors in developing an economic base as well as the tax dollars required to support the roads, schools, police, and essential government service. Murfreesboro still has some of the best advantages anywhere. But, many of our advantages are being sadly being flushed down the toilet due to laziness, ineptness, unbridled growth, and apparently self-serving individuals. Some attempting to make a fast dollar while the real estate market remains excellent...oh well, that can happen anywhere.

All that said, where did MT fail with alumni engagement in demographics?

What about cultivating community relationship in Murfreesboro?

What about significant corporate relationships, such as Nissan and GM? Guess we got State Farm, but it appears those advertising spots are from local agents and not corporate?

What about commitment to Southern Middle Tennessee region (Bedford, Coffee, Franklin, Giles, Lincoln, Marshall, Maury, Moore)? Evidently, MT is in the process of abandoning that advantage to UT-Southern is my observation.

What about building closer ties with city-county government and partnerships? Can leadership find ways or creative partnerships to improve the "town and gown" approach that MT is a local and regional treasure?

What about professional programs that bring in higher alumni participation and giving? It's evident with us not being successful in obtaining a School of Law from Valparaiso a few years ago. Our "esteemed" BOT and Dr. McPhee failed to carry credibility and cachet whenever it really mattered; extremely disappointed in all involved in that fiasco.

Athletics has been an exercise in maintaining the "status quo" whatever that is: it's something akin to being .500 and being in good standing with the NCAA in academics. We're really not competitive with UTK, Alabama's, Georgia's, or even up and coming schools like ODU and UTSA. For example, I've never forgot that UTSA Road Runners curb stomped us at home in 25-45 in 2016 as I watch with my church group--they still had players from their initial team then while we looked outsmarted and clueless with coaches that had careers longer than the entire program. There are numerous losses that can be reviewed that are considered plain awful over the last 10-15 years. This cumulative effect is squarely on CRS and our Athletic Director, Chris Massaro. For individuals that say give the coaches a break, consider this why should one receive a $900,000 (approx.) salary or $200-300K salaries and not perform at a championship level while heads of departments might earn $150-175K in academics with a PhD and need enhancements in their fields? Some earn even less as full and associate professors. They need more resources and salary supports more so than coaches.

The point in all of this is the general public is smart about value. Many see through garbage government employeesdressing for what it is and say "no, thank you" when it comes to purchasing sky boxes, season tickets, merchandise, and giving to the athletics department or this new fund-raising campaign. They simply don't like the product and there are too many alternatives that compete for attention and money especially in the advent of professional sports in Nashville over the last 20+ years.

Certainly, I hope we are successful in the campaign to get new facilities we urgently need and refurbish ones we already have. But if we are merely throwing money at a problem without a full accountability and expectation, it won't yield conference championships or improve the stature and reputation of the university. It's just another building that must be maintained and will likely be obsolete shortly after it opens.

Athletic and academic reputation is where larger gifts are made and where people achieve higher starting salaries in their chosen professions. It creates value. I even had a BLAW professor who touted the immense value of a Vanderbilt degree versus a MT degree while teaching class! (My thought was the professor gladly accepted the monthly payroll check and was glad to earn my "A", but it is a credibility issue that somehow has to be confronted if we are to ever have a truly better university). Evidently MT leadership has either forgotten or ignoring that fact about creating value for the student and value for the community. Excellence must be a cornerstone in culture with all programs.
To sum it up, MT and Rutherford county are suffering at the hands of garbage government employees.

Yup,

Florida and Troy fired their coaches today. But hey, Massaro said we can be super excited about the future because they are going to do absolutely nothing different.

#FireStockstill #FreeMTSU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT