ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (3-10) vs FIU (9-4), 6:30pm, Thursday, January 3, 2018

excerpt:

...The FIU Panthers and the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders will match up in college basketball action on Thursday.

FIU comes into this one at 9-4 on the season. The Panthers are 2-3 over their last five games, beating North Florida and FL Memorial and falling to Arkansas, South Florida and Ohio.

In the Bobcats game, FIU’s Brian Beard led the team on 13 points with six assists and two rebounds. Devon Andrews was the only other Panther in double-figures with 11 points and five rebounds there.

Over on the Middle Tennessee side, they’re 3-10 this year. The Raiders have lost their last nine games, falling to Virginia, Butler, Stanford, Lipscomb, Vanderbilt, Murray State, Toledo, Mississippi and Rhode Island in that time.

In the Rams matchup, Middle Tennessee’s Antonio Green was the team’s top scorer on 26 points and three rebounds. The only other Blue Raider in double-digits there was Donovan Sims with 15 points, six rebounds and two assists.

The Panthers are 8-2 ATS in their last 10 Thursday games and 5-2 ATS in their last seven overall. FIU is 13-6 ATS in their last 19 road games and 1-5 ATS int heir last six versus Conference USA.

Meanwhile, the Raiders are 29-14 ATS in their last 43 versus Conference USA and 3-13 ATS in their last 16 overall. MTSU is 1-8 ATS in their last nine following a straight-up loss and 0-4 ATS in their last four home games.

FIU had a pretty good scoring run going ahead of that Ohio game, but they could only muster 66 points as they hit an offensive wall in their lowest-scoring outing of the year.

Middle Tennessee has the opposite issue, as they just can’t put up points this year.....

I am starting to think if keeping Buffen meant not getting Johnson I am not that upset Buffen left.

Not much left to say with this team and this season. It's conceivable they don't win another one. It's not even worth wasting my time going back to some of the earlier season threads and the ridiculous things that were written on this board like a .500 season among other absurd things.

Yeah, we know CNM was stuck with a crappy hand, but I've yet to see any redeeming coaching qualities. Not only are we outmatched on the talent end we are outmatched on the coaching end too. Again, I hope I'm wrong about all this in the long run but CNM (IMHO) appears to be in over his head and out of his league.

Not much left to say with this team and this season. It's conceivable they don't win another one. It's not even worth wasting my time going back to some of the earlier season threads and the ridiculous things that were written on this board like a .500 season among other absurd things.

Yeah, we know CNM was stuck with a crappy hand, but I've yet to see any redeeming coaching qualities. Not only are we outmatched on the talent end we are outmatched on the coaching end too. Again, I hope I'm wrong about all this in the long run but CNM (IMHO) appears to be in over his head and out of his league.
It's flat out obvious.

This was a really bad coaching job. When FIU was making there run in the second half by pressing us. Mcdevitt was clueless on how to stop it. Hell he couldn't figure out how to get the ball in our guards hands to get the ball up the court. Jayce Johnson ended up getting the ball and turning it over multiple times; because he is not a ball handler. When we did break the press we didn't use our numbers to get a basket and punish them for pressing. We pulled the ball back out where we were going to struggle to get a good shot. Just a really bad coaching job.

I am starting to think if keeping Buffen meant not getting Johnson I am not that upset Buffen left.

I would rather have Buffen a thousand times over. Buffen is a Reggie Upshaw clone and may end up being better.

I liked the fact the guys kept fighting when things got hard. We need to learn how to finish.

I would rather have Buffen a thousand times over. Buffen is a Reggie Upshaw clone and may end up being better.
I did not see anything other than his size that makes him a Reggie clone. He may well be, but there is zero indication of that. I think that is what we were hoping for, but we also wanted that from Massenberg. Jayce develops a shot and he could be very dangerous. He has great athleticism. I would love Buffen too, but seeing Johnson makes me feel better. Give it time. A .500 season is not in the cards this year. Next year it can be and the who knows. Talking about coaching. You can lead a horse to water, can’t make them drink. Nick coached a team that almost beat us the season we beat Michigan State. Won 20 games multiple times and had multiple overlooked players transfer to bigger conferences. This season sucks so bad, but instead of deal with negativity and empty gyms lets fo what the players should. Stay positive, give it our best, and get better. As fans we can do that by showing up. We will never be Wichita State, VCU, Butler, etc. because our fans are terrible. If you live in the area and do not go to games based on performance you are not a fan.

CNM is helping all of you pad your retirement accounts, and you are complaining? FIU -1 ez money

With the press break CNM will eventually have at least one ball handling BIG in the game.. it’s hard when you only have 1 ball handling guard

With the press break CNM will eventually have at least one ball handling BIG in the game.. it’s hard when you only have 1 ball handling guard

While fiu was going on an 18-2 run and the Riaders were having a hard time getting the ball up the court, Donovan Simms was on the court but as far away from the ball as possible as you had Johnson and Hawthorne trying to bring the ball up the court and turning the ball over. WTH? I even remarked about it at the time to another fan. It is glaringly obvious that if you have a point guard in the game, that he's got to be handling the ball at that point.

The team is giving great effort - you don't win the rebounding battle 51-31 with out it (FIU had a 6'11" and 6'10" posts)...we only have 7 guys that can play. Crump would have helped a ton, but he's out.

Funny that no one has mentioned the officiating...it was the WORST I have ever seen. When the game turned, FIU had 7 fouls, MT had 2 - during the run FIU went FC pressure and physical, at the end of in FIU still had 7 fouls - it greatly impacted the game. It was complete utter BS. Meanwhile, our foul total moved from 2-11.

We may struggle to win many, but I will support them. They are playing hard, the coaches are working. If you saw it live, you left as a fan, seeing the effort.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
That's ball handling? LOL. That's a crap show. 20-30 turnovers in a game? Come on. I could go out there and make a solid pass. As a coach, you practice getting the ball in bounds and passing the hell out of the rock. SMH. Ball security is coached. He ain't doing it.

While fiu was going on an 18-2 run and the Riaders were having a hard time getting the ball up the court, Donovan Simms was on the court but as far away from the ball as possible as you had Johnson and Hawthorne trying to bring the ball up the court and turning the ball over. WTH? I even remarked about it at the time to another fan. It is glaringly obvious that if you have a point guard in the game, that he's got to be handling the ball at that point.

Again, signs of terrible coaching and lack of organization. CNM is a deer in the headlights. FIU is terrible. 18-2 run? No D whatsoever. So sad.

We can all thank Kermit for much of this mess. He not only left the cupboard bare, but actively got MT commitments to go to Ole Miss. Tired of hearing how much he loves the university when he not only left town but stabbed us in the back as he was leaving. I also think our bad performance at the end of last year was because he was already on to greener pastures.

Our problems in the basement of the Murphy Center run much deeper than the current state of Blue Raiders Basketball. If the Women’s Head Basketball Coach is told he must make an appointment to speak to the BRAA Director by the BRAA secretary then it begs the question as to how donors are treated?

Our problems in the basement of the Murphy Center run much deeper than the current state of Blue Raiders Basketball. If the Women’s Head Basketball Coach is told he must make an appointment to speak to the BRAA Director by the BRAA secretary then it begs the question as to how donors are treated?

So coaches are allowed into BRAA directors office any time they want and get time...seriously? I work by appointment too, I run a Sales Team...I answer to the CEO and he has directed me to generate revenue. My colleagues (other leaders of departments/members of the executive team) around me don't own me, why should a coach own a director of a department. I am sure Rick Insell has the cell number of the BRAA director and could call him. BRAA director customer is the donor and not the coaches.

Again, signs of terrible coaching and lack of organization. CNM is a deer in the headlights. FIU is terrible. 18-2 run? No D whatsoever. So sad.

The problems you see have little to do with coaching.. there are aptitude limitations on this team. I know many of you think it’s easy to just get guys who are both athletic enough and have the ability to understand positioning and X’s & O’s.. that’s not the type of players on this team.. none of these guys would start in ideal situation- and that should be obvious because the guys who remained didn’t start before this year because they have to.. the 2 best players on the roster can’t play and beat up on these ‘starters’ everyday in practice.. in other word be patient..

The problems you see have little to do with coaching.. there are aptitude limitations on this team. I know many of you think it’s easy to just get guys who are both athletic enough and have the ability to understand positioning and X’s & O’s.. that’s not the type of players on this team.. none of these guys would start in ideal situation- and that should be obvious because the guys who remained didn’t start before this year because they have to.. the 2 best players on the roster can’t play and beat up on these ‘starters’ everyday in practice.. in other word be patient..
You mean a coach telling the players to do something or be in a certain position does not mean they will automatically do it right away? What a strange concept.

Reactions: kingaling42

FIU is 10-4 with size, speed and depth. Were you at the game (not watch on TV). They run 10 deep with an incredible point guard who also scores. They pressure you constantly. Its something you cannot simulate in practice. And when they applied the pressure we struggled. Some of us faltering in my mind is we just got tired, some of it was them and some of it was the officiating...Kermit would have LOVED this officials (if he was the FIU coach). I would say this is best FIU crew I've seen play at Murphy Center in the last decade.

Again, as I said earlier, they are playing hard - we out rebounded them 51-31...that is a proof statement of WANT TO. We just are not that talented.

So coaches are allowed into BRAA directors office any time they want and get time...seriously? I work by appointment too, I run a Sales Team...I answer to the CEO and he has directed me to generate revenue. My colleagues (other leaders of departments/members of the executive team) around me don't own me, why should a coach own a director of a department. I am sure Rick Insell has the cell number of the BRAA director and could call him. BRAA director customer is the donor and not the coaches.

Oooh. I’m impressed.

I’ve got news for you, Mike. When you start thinking your sales department’s **** doesn’t stink and can successfully operate without the other business units and departments then you are more apt to fail. Joint calls with credit guys and administrative guys who’s teams will eventually provide support to your sales efforts have tremendous value.

Fundraisers and BRAA staffers are the ones who ask for appointments, not the coaches. A donor is more apt to request a meeting with a winning coach. Fans and Donors attend functions to meet the coaches, not admins and staffers.

And, you may want to ask around about the new BRAA guy.

B.S.

We can all thank Kermit for much of this mess. He not only left the cupboard bare, but actively got MT commitments to go to Ole Miss. Tired of hearing how much he loves the university when he not only left town but stabbed us in the back as he was leaving. I also think our bad performance at the end of last year was because he was already on to greener pastures.

This is all on Massaro. Greg Grensing would have had this program in better shape than this coach.

Oooh. I’m impressed.

I’ve got news for you, Mike. When you start thinking your sales department’s **** doesn’t stink and can successfully operate without the other business units and departments then you are more apt to fail. Joint calls with credit guys and administrative guys who’s teams will eventually provide support to your sales efforts have tremendous value.

Fundraisers and BRAA staffers are the ones who ask for appointments, not the coaches. A donor is more apt to request a meeting with a winning coach. Fans and Donors attend functions to meet the coaches, not admins and staffers.

As an old sales guy I agree with this.

Oooh. I’m impressed.

I love the nice slam on me, you know nothing about me or how I operate - my point was there is no one but the big boss can move my work life around; however, anyone can personally call me and talk on the side. Or discuss with me during team meetings. I don't know the BRAA guy, but I know he doesn't answer to any coach. In fact, unless the coach is writing a check or has a fund raising idea I have no idea why he even needs to talk the the BRAA leader. Instead coaches need to focus on improving their teams - this isn't rocket science.

Now lets talk about you, you do nothing but come on this site and criticize every move. Every little thing you think you hear you turn into a negative. For a few years it was funny, but now its just old. Just let your MT fandom go...why do you constantly show up here? Why? The only reason I can see that you enjoy spewing negativity.

Rick and Deb Insell write checks.

Rick Insell is our only coach with a Conf. Title.

Rick Insell is currently 11-4 and has an overall winning pct. over 70%

Rick Insell is a graduate of Middle Tennessee State University.

Rick Insell can walk into the Univ. President’s office any time he needs something.

Unless he is actively looking for a new AD gig, the BRAA guy better take Coach Insell’s calls.

Unless he is actively looking for a new AD gig, the BRAA guy better take Coach Insell’s calls.[/QUOTE]

This isn't what you said...this is what you did say " If the Women’s Head Basketball Coach is told he must make an appointment to speak to the BRAA Director by the BRAA secretary then it begs the question as to how donors are treated?"

I would agree that if RI called the guy and he didn't return his calls after repeated efforts then that is a problem...but if RI was told he needs to make an appointment then that's normal operating procedure...seems reasonable in any professional setting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT