ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (1-2) @ #14 Iowa (3-0), ESPN2, 11AM, Saturday, September 28, 2019

I’ve been at a church function all day so far and checked in a couple of times on the CBS Sports App. What a mess but expected.

Outgunned and outcoached

Is it really worth putting the players through this just for money every year? I mean it has to be debilitating for them. Sheesh. 1.55 mil. If the AD was run right in the first place we wouldn’t have to do this to the players.

Reactions: Hop45
didn't realize that wgns on line is not carrying the game. wgns live radio is, but when you go to wgns on line, nope.

Do you think our CBs are coached to let the WR catch it? They always give them plenty of space.

Pretty much what I expected. Outgunned in the trenches. They're going to have 350+ rushing yards against us. They're just way to big for us. Next week against Marshall will be the big gauge of where we are as a team.

Massaro-TRUE-poster-featured-graphic.jpg

but this experienced defense is so great......i told yall this defense is too small and not physical enough to be good.

Sad very,very sad. This football program needs to be scrapped. It is an embarrassment to the University and will continue to be so as long as this "wannabe coach " is here. Several of the local High Schools would give us a run for the money. Just forfeit the rest of the games and save a lot of money and pain to the few fans that are left.

I’m thinking Marshall will come into Murfreesboro next week wanting to make a point and could very well be fresh off a win over Cincy at home tonight.

I’m sitting this one out.

I was gonna suggest that Massaro and McPhee could endorse the Michigan and Iowa checks totaling $3.155M over to Stock if he’s agreeable to take a 50% reduced buyout to hit the road now.

But they probably already spent it.

Most yards ever gained by a Kirk Firentz Iowa team over the past 21 years. And we thought defense would be a strength.

Anything better than 1-7 will be a miracle.

The Duke and Iowa games expose the failed recruiting philosophy of Stockstill and reason why we consistently struggle just to get to that 6 or 7 win plateau we seem to get to every year. We have been extremely fortunate over the past few years because our conference schedule has been pretty week. Aside from the final game of the regular season against UAB last year we've avoided the better teams from the west.

If we evaluate the recruiting practices of our head coaches as a I-A program both coaches failed on opposite ends of the spectrum.

McCollum failed because he would take mamoth risks on kids that probably had no chance of qualifying but could play in the SEC. We wound up with a lot of "signees" who never actually played a game and some of which never made it to campus. As well as a bunch of high risk jucos.

Stockstill's failure is basically to say we aren't going to get these high three or four stars so we won't spend any time on them. We'll offer scholarships but aren't going to waste our limited resources trying to get them. So, at positions where we need strength we take on projects who they hope will develop over time and "grow into a position" and we end up small and weak across multiple positions, because neither coach took the approach that there is a middle ground. I have really about lost my patience with recruiting high school LBs and small DE types (who should play LB in college) and playing them exclusively on the DL. We just get killed because we have no size or strength up front.

So, he just accepts we are never going to win these games and focuses on trying to out fox the rest of C-USA who struggles with the same recruiting problems we do. And occassionally we get a power 5 who sucks that season giving us a chance (i.e. Missouri, Syracuse, etc.).

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
Our OL and DL are just bad. Nothing more to say. The front 7 on defense basically doesn't even exist. I don't think I've ever seen a weaker front 7 since following MT football going back to 2004. Schafer is not a bad coordinator, this defense is just t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e.

We are going to be exposed by any team with a half-way decent RB and interior OL players. Even Tennessee State ran it down our throats. We just out-scored them because their defense sucked too.

On offense, our OL is young and obviously not disciplined. O'Hara is decent and we have some decent WR's but it doesn't matter because our OL is so bad and we have no RB's worth their salt. They've been dominated and over-matched in every game we've played except Tennessee State.

We are a bad team in a conference with many other bad teams. We will have pillow fights with the other crappy teams in the conference and the season will be over. Nobody will watch, and nobody will care.

The team just has no substance, no grit, and sparks zero interest. I watched today's game on the ESPN ticker because I was busy watching BYU vs. Toledo (an actual G5 team with some substance....who won btw. BYU would have DESTROYED our OL and DL). I think it's the first time I've ever missed an MT football game that was on TV.

Toledo has literal empty stadiums, an equal recruiting budget, and much more difficult geographical challenges but they field a damn good team EVERY SINGLE DAMN YEAR. Why can they do it but this crappy staff can't? How can a team like Toledo be so good every year, from head coach to head coach, constantly rotating assists, etc? Our administrators and leaders are so inept.

So fed up with this garbage staff and the lack of talented OL and DL players. We havn't had a good offensive line since....well....I honestly can't remember. When have we ever been able to run the ball effectively and dominate up front? Have we ever had a 1,000 yard rusher in Stockstill's 2 decades here? I doubt it. I was tired of the excuses 10 years ago. I don't even know what I am now.

Honestly, whatever. It's not even worth getting upset over because absolutely nothing's going to change. McPhee, Massaro, Stockstill are all in it together, collecting their big checks, doing just enough to get by. No new facilities or even serious plans for them. I'm starting to wonder why the football program even exists??

This program is a joke and honestly not worth following I really don't even know why I bother. If our administration doesn't care then how the hell can I?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT