ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (1-2) @ #14 Iowa (3-0), ESPN2, 11AM, Saturday, September 28, 2019

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
game thread, work in progress:

10.jpg

University of Iowa
Founded: 1847 Enrollment: 32,948 Undergrad 23,989 Postgrad 8,959
Acceptance rate: 84%
Colors: Black and Gold
Fight song: Fight Fight Fight
Series: First Meeting
Stadium: Kinnick Stadium, Capacity: 70,585
Coach: Kirk Ferentz (Fresno State, 1996)
Record at IA: 152-101 (21st) Overall: 164-122 (24th)
2018 Record: 2018 Bowl:
Starters Ret./Lost:
12/13 Lettermen R/L: : 42/21

Weather Forecast:
Partly Cloudy, Temp 67, Winds NE 10-15 mph

Where: Kinnick Stadium, 825 Stadium Dr, Iowa City, IA 52240

Stadium Policies:

Television:
ESPN2 (Watch ESPN app) - Kevin Brown, play-by-play Andre Ware, analyst. Can be viewed on 29/1206 Comcast/XFinity, 606/1606 AT&T U-Verse, 143 Dish Network, 209 DirecTV

Watch online: espn2, ESPN2 can be streamed on Fubo TV, Playstation Vue, YouTube TV and Hulu Live.

Radio: PxP: Chip Walters, Analyst: Wes Counts, WGNS AM 1450 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 100.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 101.9 (Murfreesboro), WPRT FM 102.5/97.5 (Nashville), National: Sirius XM TuneIn App: Search Middle Tennessee

Streaming: Audio,

Live Stats: iowa live stats

Newspapers: , , ,
Cedar Rapids Gazette, The Daily Iowan

Message Boards:
Hawkeye Report football forum (rivals), , , ,

Blogs/Podcasts: Hawkeye Report, blackheartgoldpants.com, fromthecornerofkinnick.com, , , , ,

Athletic site:
HawkeyeSports.com, goblueraiders.com

Media Guides:
Iowa, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews: Iowa (Orlando Sentinel #27), , , Middle Tennessee (Orlando Sentinel #99),

Game Notes:
Iowa Game Notes, MT Game Notes, C-USA NOTES

Roster: Hawkeyes, Blue Raiders

Depth Chart:
page 40 of iowa game notes,

Game Previews: ,
Looking ahead to MT and Iowa , CFN Iowa vs. Middle Tennessee Fearless Prediction, Game Preview, , ,

Twitter: , , , , , ,

Hashtags: , , , ,

Facebook:

Youtube: ,

Instagram:

Last edited:
O/U is around 51

Vegas expecting a 37-14 type of game.

It's pretty clear that Stockstill has been spending all week looking at Marshall and other C-USA games.

He gets asked a question about Iowa's pocket passing QB and goes on and on about what a tenacious runner he is.

Well done coach.Well done. And we wonder why we can never win these games. He doesn't even know who the damn opposing team's players are. I guess this is what a million dollars a year gets you these days.

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
The university might as well cancel these dog and pony shows anyway. There is absolutely nothing that comes out of them. CRS acts like he would rather be poking his eye balls then hosting these press events.

He doesn't ever say anything except the same old tired cliches' over and over again. I mean you can literally forego the event and just pick one from a year ago, replay it, and it would sound just like the one this week.

No matter how bad the opponent is "we play a good team this week". And the team has great players. It's going to be a challenge and an opportunity.

Lastly, here's another reason to ban these things. What little media that actually shows up all they do themselves is ask the same damn stupid ass questions. What makes such and such player from opposing team so good? Wow. Really. Every week? I mean literally every damn week. Don't call em the best sportswriters in the business for no reason. Oh wait. What? nevermind. When Iowa and Michigan do press conferences they don't even talk about the opposing team much. They talk about their team and their players. I swear our press conferences are an infomercial for our opponent. I don't think Harbaugh got a single question about MT during Michigan week nor did he mention MT. I'm sorry, but this is just another way we are such a joke.

The university might as well cancel these dog and pony shows anyway. There is absolutely nothing that comes out of them. CRS acts like he would rather be poking his eye balls then hosting these press events.

He doesn't ever say anything except the same old tired cliches' over and over again. I mean you can literally forego the event and just pick one from a year ago, replay it, and it would sound just like the one this week.

No matter how bad the opponent is "we play a good team this week". And the team has great players. It's going to be a challenge and an opportunity.

Lastly, here's another reason to ban these things. What little media that actually shows up all they do themselves is ask the same damn stupid ass questions. What makes such and such player from opposing team so good? Wow. Really. Every week? I mean literally every damn week. Don't call em the best sportswriters in the business for no reason. Oh wait. What? nevermind. When Iowa and Michigan do press conferences they don't even talk about the opposing team much. They talk about their team and their players. I swear our press conferences are an infomercial for our opponent. I don't think Harbaugh got a single question about MT during Michigan week nor did he mention MT. I'm sorry, but this is just another way we are such a joke.
Harbaugh did mention MT once, but most questions were about them and not us. Saban also says things like the other team has good players and such. In fact he mentioned how everyone has good players in the pregame press conference against us. The press at Bama asked about individual players on our team as well. I cannot for the life of me understand why you put yourself through being a fan of a team and a program that you consider a joke. Does not seem healthy.

Harbaugh did mention MT once, but most questions were about them and not us. Saban also says things like the other team has good players and such. In fact he mentioned how everyone has good players in the pregame press conference against us. The press at Bama asked about individual players on our team as well. I cannot for the life of me understand why you put yourself through being a fan of a team and a program that you consider a joke. Does not seem healthy.

Nothing you said changes anything I said.

Of course it's not uncommon for out of town media to ask about the other team, but goodness. Our entire press conferences are like that.

Anyway, maybe CRS doesn't take this seriously because a) the area media doesn't show up for them and b) those who do show up ask the same asinine questions every week. I guess I would probably be disenfranchised after 14 years of doing the same thing too. But the media knows CRS isn't going to say anything worthwhile so they don't show up. Chicken and egg.

And you make a good point. I don't know why I consider to be associated with this program either. Along the same lines of these press events CRS does very little to excite the community and build the program. Our university and athletic dept half asses so much it's hard to find any moments of joy following this school - and as FR said - we have a clueless administration so it's not going to get better anytime soon. So you make a good point there about how I'm wasting my time.

Reactions: ichawk24
Wonder what those pics were like when NDSU rolled in there and whipped that a$$ a few years ago? LOL. Good pics though. pretty funny.

It's complicated for some of us. We love our school. We want them to succeed, but at the same time its so hard to get excited or have any sense of optimism regarding the program. When you have 14-15 years of results, actions, and other quantifiable things you know what to expect and know what's going to happen. At the same time, what can you do? We want the program to be better, but it won't. It seems like every week we have this conversation. I would say that it all depends on your attitude as a fan. You can blindly support your team, you can take a critical approach of every action, or you can find somewhere in between. I don't think that blindly supporting any business, organization, or sports team is a good idea, but that's just my opinion.

I would like some input on how Stockstill is putting this program on the rise. Last year was a blessing and curse, it was our best chance to win the conference (also the worst season the conference has had in the past five years), but now Stockstill apologists can say "he made the conference championship." If that's the feather in his cap for the life of this ridiculous contract then well call it what it is-macaroni.

All that being said, it actually feels good to not be disappointed when you don't have any expectations.

Look, I am ready for a change just because its good to have some turnover and we have little support.

But about the performance on the field, aside from winning the Championship game what else are you expecting given our limitations?

Reactions: DABLUERAIDERS
Look, I am ready for a change just because its good to have some turnover and we have little support.

But about the performance on the field, aside from winning the Championship game what else are you expecting given our limitations?

Just going to throw this out but that we don't get bludgeoned as bad by middle of the pack ACC team as the HBCU that played them the week before with a head coach that's in his 14th year -- especially on your home field. At this point, I expect us to be in and competitive every game we play short of playing someone like Alabama, Clemson, or Ohio State.

We literally look like a I-AA team right now. And though I know how many odds are stacking up against schools like ours we shouldn't look this pathetic. NCA&T was actually closer to Duke at halftime than we were. And we were at home. Never, ever should happen. Again, not this deep into a coaches tenure. At some point, the rewards of having stability in the staff has to equate to more than 6 to 8 wins. In 13 seasons, CRS has won more than eight games one time and no conference titles. I think it's pretty obvious what more can be accomplished.

Just going to throw this out but that we don't get bludgeoned as bad by middle of the pack ACC team as the HBCU that played them the week before with a head coach that's in his 14th year -- especially on your home field. At this point, I expect us to be in and competitive every game we play short of playing someone like Alabama, Clemson, or Ohio State.

We literally look like a I-AA team right now. And though I know how many odds are stacking up against schools like ours we shouldn't look this pathetic. NCA&T was actually closer to Duke at halftime than we were. And we were at home. Never, ever should happen. Again, not this deep into a coaches tenure. At some point, the rewards of having stability in the staff has to equate to more than 6 to 8 wins. In 13 seasons, CRS has won more than eight games one time and no conference titles. I think it's pretty obvious what more can be accomplished.

All fair points. I think the size of our team is just not excusable. We RS a lot of players with goal of making them better players and bigger bodies - our LBs look like DBs. We are starting two O linemen in the 260s.

My biggest beef with him isn't the performance on the field per se' but his lack of interest or ability to be the "face" of the program. IMHO we need a coach that is seen all over town and known. Its his job to help grow the program, to help raise money, etc. I see him focused only on what happens inside the program and nothing on the outside (I live in the Boro and in his 14 years I have never seen him about town). Heck I live about 1 mile from him.

Reactions: DABLUERAIDERS

Championships are part of it sure.

I expect more for the athletic department. We have a great journalism, graphic design, mass comm, etc etc, and how many of these programs are integrated with our sports program. We have hours of internships and work that we could have done that would benefit students and the school alike.

I expect us to hire a coach that will try and rally support for the program, and when he leaves we can start building something. Like you all said, a football press conference might as well be a budget meeting for a condominium association. We need to have the coach not just coach our team but represent the school...you know who did that? Kermit Davis. You know who does that now? Rick Insell. Our football coach makes a million dollars and you couldn't get 5 people to show up to a press conference. And the thing is nobody makes him do it so he won't do it. Why would he? Accountability is missing here when it comes to that.

The thing is we don't know what our limitations are as a program, because we have never tested them. The problem is everyone is afraid to fail. If we take a chance and it doesn't work how would it be any worse than it is now? As far as fan apathy and support. It looks like the beer garden and some of the other things are a step in the right direction.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
All fair points. I think the size of our team is just not excusable. We RS a lot of players with goal of making them better players and bigger bodies - our LBs look like DBs. We are starting two O linemen in the 260s.

My biggest beef with him isn't the performance on the field per se' but his lack of interest or ability to be the "face" of the program. IMHO we need a coach that is seen all over town and known. Its his job to help grow the program, to help raise money, etc. I see him focused only on what happens inside the program and nothing on the outside (I live in the Boro and in his 14 years I have never seen him about town). Heck I live about 1 mile from him.

Agreed. Though I think both go hand and hand and are necessary to maintain support at our level.

Championships are part of it sure.

I expect more for the athletic department. We have a great journalism, graphic design, mass comm, etc etc, and how many of these programs are integrated with our sports program. We have hours of internships and work that we could have done that would benefit students and the school alike.

I expect us to hire a coach that will try and rally support for the program, and when he leaves we can start building something. Like you all said, a football press conference might as well be a budget meeting for a condominium association. We need to have the coach not just coach our team but represent the school...you know who did that? Kermit Davis. You know who does that now? Rick Insell. Our football coach makes a million dollars and you couldn't get 5 people to show up to a press conference. And the thing is nobody makes him do it so he won't do it. Why would he? Accountability is missing here when it comes to that.

The thing is we don't know what our limitations are as a program, because we have never tested them. The problem is everyone is afraid to fail. If we take a chance and it doesn't work how would it be any worse than it is now? As far as fan apathy and support. It looks like the beer garden and some of the other things are a step in the right direction.

Why should he? Stock has no incentives (or real consequences) if he doesn’t do any more or less than what he does now. The manner in which Massaro paraded out and lauded Stock’s agreeing to forego $100,000 a year bonus for an additional three years in exchange for a net guarantee of $700,000 for each of those same three years was insulting to any Blue Raider fan who can add and subtract.

Last edited:
It's pretty clear that Stockstill has been spending all week looking at Marshall and other C-USA games.

He gets asked a question about Iowa's pocket passing QB and goes on and on about what a tenacious runner he is.

Well done coach.Well done. And we wonder why we can never win these games. He doesn't even know who the damn opposing team's players are. I guess this is what a million dollars a year gets you these days.

Or did he confuse RB Sargent, down hill runner, instead of QB Stanley?

All of the points about the program made are totally valid. I made peace with it last year. It's not my responsibility for MT's athletic dept. or the footall program to get it's sh!t together. I am a fan but I don't have expectations. If they play well, I compliment. When they play like a JV squad, I criticize. I don't give what I used to and I don't go to every game anymore. I don't have to make any special considerations for a program that cleary operates in it's own fantasy world. I still love MT and I love watching the team and I root hard for them to win but I don't depend on it and I don't get too worked up about it anymore. If they want to pull their head out of their rear and make better hiring moves and be more aggresive in OOC games, then great. If not, great. I have my sh!t together. They gotta work on their crap. It's as simple as that. They don't even think that there's a problem so why make it mine?

All of the points about the program made are totally valid. I made peace with it last year. It's not my responsibility for MT's athletic dept. or the footall program to get it's sh!t together. I am a fan but I don't have expectations. If they play well, I compliment. When they play like a JV squad, I criticize. I don't give what I used to and I don't go to every game anymore. I don't have to make any special considerations for a program that cleary operates in it's own fantasy world. I still love MT and I love watching the team and I root hard for them to win but I don't depend on it and I don't get too worked up about it anymore. If they want to pull their head out of their rear and make better hiring moves and be more aggresive in OOC games, then great. If not, great. I have my sh!t together. They gotta work on their crap. It's as simple as that. They don't even think that there's a problem so why make it mine?
This.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
As alumni I believe it is our responsibility to hold our leadership accountable. Problem is either a) there aren't enough of us doing it and b) the alumni become trapped into the little middle mentality and just accept the mediocrity. The culture at MT and inability to move it is unlike anything I've ever experienced, which is probably the third problem.

I too am guilty of this. I put so much effort into researching and leading the name change effort. I've basically given up hope, because we have an incompetent president who has no political clout and has no appetite to take on any risk as he coasts to what will be an incredibly lucrative retirement. A board that sees fit to maintain status quo. And a state that will go out of its way to undermine its largest undergraduate institution. So, I don't blame a single person for giving up. There are days I wish I would have went somewhere else.

It takes money to make change. A lot of it. Like millions. Unless you have it, there's no change coming. This is why I don't worry aout that aspect of it.

It takes money to make change. A lot of it. Like millions. Unless you have it, there's no change coming. This is why I don't worry aout that aspect of it.

This is the one thing that does get me to give Stock a pass (kind of). I am not sure what it will take to get MT grads to support our program. But then again I'd love Stock to try to get more money and fans into the program. Since he hasn't tried, he's part of the problem.

This is the one thing that does get me to give Stock a pass (kind of). I am not sure what it will take to get MT grads to support our program. But then again I'd love Stock to try to get more money and fans into the program. Since he hasn't tried, he's part of the problem.

The issue as stated goes hand in hand with the bolded part. It's not the only problem but a HC has to be engaged in the community. If you're the head ball coach in the SEC not so much. But a non-power conf school. Mandatory requirement.

The issue as stated goes hand in hand with the bolded part. It's not the only problem but a HC has to be engaged in the community. If you're the head ball coach in the SEC not so much. But a non-power conf school. Mandatory requirement.

Kermit was brilliant at that...

Reactions: BlueAlpha
Co-sign.

What's funny is Franklins offense doesn't do well against real defenses. He struck out in the SEC and the PAC has no defense. I also don't think we have lost anything at QB.
Otherwise the article is spot on.

Gotta be able to run the ball and be physical in the SEC. His offense just isn't that. It is predicated on finesse and misdirection.

ADVERTISEMENT