ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (1-1) @ #3 Georgia (2-0), ESPNNews, 11:00AM, Saturday, September 15, 2018

Meanwhile, North Texas is up 17-0 on Arkansas.........that vaunted SEC program.....

Now I'm sure I'm crazy but it feels like we are holding the playbook back. It's like we've been very basic and we might open the playbook up in conference play. I might be very wrong but that's what it feels like. We haven't gone vertical once yet. I'm talking go route or wheel. We haven't been very aggressive nor have we used our weapons the way we should. I hope we open things up in 2 weeks. I really do.

I don’t think we really have weapons to threaten a team like UGA. Aside from the boneheaded trick play I thought they called the game the best they could based on who we played. If we make a few more plays I think we score 14-20 points.

Reactions: RaiderDawg78
The game turned out about how I expected, hence why I loaded up on Georgia. My prediction was 48-10. Final was 49-7.

I expected nothing from this team down in Athens against the #3 team in the country. How could we ? We scored 7 against Vanderbilt and gave up 35. Georgia was going to do whatever they wanted. I wish we would have just played our back-ups and focused on the FAU game.

The past 3 years, our recruiting has been extremely average if not below par. Couple that with bad coaching and this is what you get.

IMHO, I think we may only have 30-40 true D1 talents on this team. That's what happens when you continuously offer guys that only have D2, FCS and NAIA offer.

Beating the dead horse here, but let's put that HC horse out to pasture. I mean, really, is there any doubt that MT football is flat, unexciting, directionless, and generally lifeless? At this point, it would be a stretch to suggest that MT is mediocre.

If Massaro is incapable of seeing the long sad decline of MT football, then he needs to be fired as well.

A new HC is needed not because MT was whooped by #3 UGA. Most any team in the country would lose to them. It seemed that years ago, MT at least really competed in most of these money games vs $EC elites. A number of players would look like they belonged. That is just not the case any longer. MT was little more than a scout team in a scrimmage for UGA today. Did a mailing it in attitude really pervade the team starting at the top of the program?

Inexplicably, Brent has seemed to regress this year. Well, the O-line and WRs might have a little something to do with that, but for crying out loud it's not like there are a lack of OL and WRs on the roster this year.

MT just doesn't get a few injuries to players. Coach stock teams seem to get injuries to entire position groups. Right now, the defensive backs are injured. 3rd and 4th string were forced into action today. For years, it was the O-line that was injured. Last year, it was the running backs that were injured. I've never seen anything like it.

On paper, MT appears to have a roster that is fitting for decent D1 competition. On the field, the Blue Raiders just look like they do not have the size and strength to compete. With the exception of a few, most just look overmatched on the field of play. I could be incorrect, but it generally appeared that MT did not have much if any size and strength advantage vs UTM.

The discussion will now turn to conference play and the suggestion that the Blue Raiders are better suited to have some success in conference. How many games over the years of coach stock's tenure has he been able to pad his W-L record with wins vs the bottom feeders of C-USA and the SunBelt in addition to the annual obligatory 1AA home opener? Let's face it, most every season the bottom third of the conf standings in C-USA and SunBelt are some of the worst teams in 1A football. ESPN highlights that sad reality by those same teams littering the Bottom 10 list. Sure, the top half to top third of C-USA teams are typically good and competitive teams, but the bottom feeders in conference seem to figure significantly in MT achieving bowl eligibility in many seasons.

If history is any indicator, MT will likely compete well vs one of the better teams in C-USA. It is highly unlikely though that MT will be able to compete and win vs the best teams in C-USA throughout the entire season. Dreadfully, those C-USA home games will likely be played in front of a dismally sized crowd.

Coach Stock may well be a swell guy. I don't doubt that he is a solid guy. For MT to continue this long decline downward is just leaving no energy or excitement for fans to be attracted to campus on gameday. The longer and further the decline, the longer the time, energy, and investment needed to rebuild the program back to a competitor with enough excitement to start attracting fans again. A change must be made. Immediately.

Dukewayne makes a lot of valid points. In the past, besides Bama in 2015, we haven't played a team as lethal as UGA. This UGA team is the best Georgia I've ever seen. IMO, it's Bama and UGA this year. Everyone else is just participating. Ohio st., Oklahoma and Clemson will get buzz sawed by UGA and Bama. So let's get that out there. When we played Bama in 02, they were nowhere near UGA and Bama right now. You just can't compare them.

The Vandy game was ridiculous. I'll give you that. The coaching and play calls were absolutely terrible. I'd be ok with Franklin, our WR coach and OL coaches gone by December.

As far as beating the bottom feeders in the conference is concerned, are we supposed to lose to them? They are in our conference. We can't help that. We didn't pick them.

If we end up with a losing season this year. Changes are gonna happen. If Stack stays, we'll be replacing most of our coaches. That's happened before and it will happen now. I think Stock is tired though.

Stock looks flat wore out. You can just see it his eyes. In every interview this year. During games. I really think he is just exhausted and it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see him retire.

Thing is that’s good and bad. If CM is still here (and he will be long as McPhee is here) I don’t know that I trust the right person will be hired to replace Stock.

Just to point out the painful - if we hadn’t had that one breakaway touchdown, we would have lost to Georgia by more than APSU did. We lost by nearly the same amount anyway. Their game was 45-0.

Stock looks flat wore out. You can just see it his eyes. In every interview this year. During games. I really think he is just exhausted and it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see him retire.

Thing is that’s good and bad. If CM is still here (and he will be long as McPhee is here) I don’t know that I trust the right person will be hired to replace Stock.

Exactly. It starts with Massaro. Remember, this is the guy that just hired the women's tennis coach who had a career record of 34-113. I don't trust him to hire someone that can take this program to the next level.

Just to point out the painful - if we hadn’t had that one breakaway touchdown, we would have lost to Georgia by more than APSU did. We lost by nearly the same amount anyway. Their game was 45-0.

They ran the clock down more than we did and didn't try lateral throwbacks on a 3rd and 1 deep into UGA territory. They didn't throw a pick on the next play that setup another TD. They also didn't let UGA return a punt for a TD either. Yesterday was all about our coaching. We ran the ball on UGA. If we had a decent OC who didn't get cute with this spread crap on short yardage situations, we would be in much better shape right now. BTW, they put over 40 on a ranked SC team too. They'll be throwing up 40+ point games on most teams this year.

Anybody notice the post-game handshake? Stock told Kirby 2-3 times, "You're a good man." Why say this unless Kirby called off the Dawgs and allowed the score to be as close as it was? I can't think of anything else. I've been indifferent on this until recently, but it is time for a coaching change. If nothing else, someone else needs to be calling plays. Our play calling has been atrocious.

I agree on the change...been feeling it for the last couple of years. The main reason is just a lack of development of players. I get not being able to sign highly touted recruits but we lack play makers on offense, we have none that scare anyone. We are not developing enough players to compete with the better G5 teams, much less P5 teams.

Anybody notice the post-game handshake? Stock told Kirby 2-3 times, "You're a good man." Why say this unless Kirby called off the Dawgs and allowed the score to be as close as it was?.

If I heard correctly, Stock mentioned that Kirby and the officials offered a running clock at halftime for the 2nd half. Stock said no because that would be quitting.

yeah, pretty much thought from early in the game that Georgia was pulling its punches, especially on defense. The fact that Brent Stockstill wasn't hauled off the field on a stretcher in the first quarter with our weak ass offensive line told me all I needed to know about the game.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
I didn't get catch every play of the game but from what I saw, Georgia was in base defense the entire time. They could have put Brent 6 feet under if they really had wanted to.

Anybody notice the post-game handshake? Stock told Kirby 2-3 times, "You're a good man." Why say this unless Kirby called off the Dawgs and allowed the score to be as close as it was? I can't think of anything else. I've been indifferent on this until recently, but it is time for a coaching change. If nothing else, someone else needs to be calling plays. Our play calling has been atrocious.

Anybody think Lane Kiffin will do the same?????
He’ll hang a 100 on Stock if he can.
I may drive over to Murfreesboro just to watch it.

Austin Peay took a shortened 4th qtr after their all-conference OL man went down.

Yeah. I didn’t understand Stock’s logic. One sentence he is talking about all the injuries, then the next he says he turned down the clock offer because that’s quitting. UGA can name the score and your players are dropping like flies, get the game over with. Silly pride.

From what I'm gathering from the discussion here is that my earlier scout squad comparison wasn't really too far off base.

Sure, the UGA HC demonstrated good sportsmanship. It's still a pretty bad state of affairs in the Blue Raider nation when the Blue Raider football team is relying on the forbearance of the opponent's head coach rather than competing man to man and as a team in order to stave off abject humiliation on the gridiron.

Again, my desire for a HC change is not because MT lost to UGA. Most teams in the country would lose to them. It's year after year of mediocre records. No real signs of overall improvement. Questionable play calling particularly on offense. No signs of any presence in recruiting. Little player development. Last but not least, the loss of fan interest as evidenced by paltry attendance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT