ADVERTISEMENT

Mercer

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country

Excited to see this one. It's going to be streamed on ESPN+ online. Mercer was an NCAA Tournament team last year.

Mercer is an excellent, but slower paced offensive team. Will not be used to high octane pace set by Wheeler & Blakely. Mercer will be forced to play catch up all night.
Taking the Raiders 84-74 on the road Monday!

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I see Insell has left his quotes about playing 10-11 players and substituting behind in Murfreesboro.

Reactions: MTBig Blue
It helps to shoot almost 70% for most of the first half. Hope they come back down to earth a bit after that, and we pick it up some... 15 is not as bad as it could have been

It helps to shoot almost 70% for most of the first half. Hope they come back down to earth a bit after that, and we pick it up some... 15 is not as bad as it could have been
You are right. We made some progress in the closing minutes and have yet to get anyone really hot, compared to Merer being on fire. Our D has created a lot of TO's so hopefully that continues. We had a ton of fouls called on us too.

Rough is putting it nicely with fundamentals (multiple moving screens, fouling 3 point shooters, etc.) and I'm sorry but... calling ZERO timeouts this entire game is absolutely terrible.

Last edited:
Just got home & checked updates, wow. Must admit my prediction was totally bass ackwards. It's we who can't keep up with their offense.

Just got home & checked updates, wow. Must admit my prediction was totally bass ackwards. It's we who can't keep up with their offense.
They've been making insane shots all game. That seems to be dropping off as the game goes on. But we need a consistent run, no more lapses while trying to claw back into it.

Well Wheeler gets fouled out on a call that even the Mercer announcers say was missed. Great

Insell doesn't call a timeout when we have a bad pass inside then he does after a missed over and back call. Can't make it up. At least there is a lot of fight in this team. Impressive to be only down 6 after playing so poorly

UNREAL officiating at the end here -- Mercer's #1 has 5 fouls according to the official scorer yet she's STILL IN THE GAME?!??!?!?!?!?!?! AND THEN THEY TAKE ONE OFF THE BOX SCORE LMAO. I cannot even deal with this

Wow. Unreal that we lost this one. No disrespect to Mercer but we should never have even been down almost 20 to this team. Good lord… lots of questionable calls there at the end. Love the fight they had but really sad for the ladies that it ended the way it did.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
Horrible officiating and Mercer gets an answered prayer on a rebound and toss up that goes in at the buzzer as time expired. Great heart but no way we should have played the way we did to start the game. Hopefully lesson learned but early in the season, this is a huge loss.

I just went back and read the play by play on ESPN. It also showed 5 fouls on the Mercer player. Is there any sort of protest that can be filed? May or may not have made a difference but that is HUGE. Also, for those that didn't see it Mercer was having tons of trouble against our press. Their girl dribbles across midcourt, turns and passes it backcourt to her teammate. Clearly over and back but no call and from there, virtually every call goes against Middle. I hate losing, but I really hate losing that way.

Last edited:
I'm sure there's more anger than there is tears about this one. It's a long year & will be a big learning experience for coaches & players alike. Just because coach tells you you're a sweet 16 or elite 8 team before the 1st game doesn't mean everyone will bow down to you from the start. Positive note, still showed good 2nd half fight, this loss could & should bring out a big fire going forward for this team.

Sure hope so! I’d be happy to get our quota of bad losses out of the way early this year and have a great remainder of the season instead! Plus I think this team has a ton of fire in them to improve and do great things.

I think it was very close and or a tie. Since almost every close call went against us, it was inevitable it would be counted.

Would liked to have seen Riley & Scott off the bench. Didn't see them any to speak of. As OleBlue pointed out, what up with Rick's proclamation about 10 player rotation? I can understand wanting seasoned vets assisting on a comeback attempt when down by 19, but wasn't it the seasoned vets out there in the 1st half that let you get down by 19? I know Mercer shot the lights out, but this team with its fire power has zero excuse for a 28 point half. We have a difficult schedule. If we only substitute in games that we have a comfortable 20 point lead, these new arrivals may be setting most of the year, & Whitson plus a few others could be in same boat of being exhausted by end of year again. Also, guards have to do a better job of getting Boldyreva involved. Wheeler is fine ball handler & scorer, but seemed like last years team set up Boldyreva much better for interior production. Seemed like she was practically a non factor in 2nd half play last night.

Riley played about half a minute as did Grannum, Scott played nearly 12 minutes. Overall, ten LRs saw the court.
Appreciate the update. Got home in time to catch 2nd half only. Glad Scott got 12 minutes. As time goes by hope to see Riley getting similar minutes. I like her talent & athleticism

As we recall all the controversy of this game, I found what CRI said in the first coaches show tonight interesting. I didn't hear him comment on the girl who fouled out, then didn't foul out (although I may have missed it). He did comment saying the last sequence lasted something like 6.5 seconds when they put a stop watch on it. There were only 5.2 seconds on the clock when the ball was inbounded. He also commented that the girl who got the rebound and tossed up the winner walked before she released it. Lastly, he indicated that Mercer had apologized, letting them know that mistakes were made. He didn't expand on that but I'm assuming it would be in regards to the timekeeper and possibly the scorekeeper. Also said he hoped that the loss didn't come back to hurt them at the end of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT