ADVERTISEMENT

Massaro, Please hire Steve Forbes

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
As the title says,

This is a no-brainer.

Offer him a no-brainer contract he can't refuse.

This guy is the real deal. A winner everywhere he has gone, both as an assistant and a head coach. I believe he will be even better than Kermit. Why would you hire anyone else but Steve Forbes? He's easily the best candidate out there. Do whatever it takes. Whatever it takes. $5 million for 5 years + pay his buyout. It's worth it. How can you hire anyone else but him?

Reactions: SpaceRaider
May be incorrect, but I think we've already done that, not low ball, but not that high, and got a not interested response...

Well that's unfortunate. Offer more than 900k then

I think if MT was truly serious about keeping the momentum, McPhee and Massaro would be willing to part with the top dollar amount they were prepared to offer to Kermit, plus whatever promises in regard to facilities/master plan, assistant coaches salaries. If it was the best you could do for Kermit, why wouldn't you offer the best to your top candidate to place him?

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
I think if MT was truly serious about keeping the momentum, McPhee and Massaro would be willing to part with the top dollar amount they were prepared to offer to Kermit, plus whatever promises in regard to facilities/master plan, assistant coaches salaries. If it was the best you could do for Kermit, why wouldn't you offer the best to your top candidate to place him?

Yup. And you know the Kermit counter offer was at least 1 mil per year.

You're telling me Steve Forbes won't come here for $1 million per year with a 5 year contract? I have a hard time seeing him turn down $5 million guaranteed....

Forbes was one of my first thoughts when the Kermit smoke started. It would be a great hire.

Head coaching record: 204–62 (.767)

We could probably save some money by sewing his school gear with a “M” patch over his “E”.

images

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Bow
He's making 650,000k per year right now if I recall. Not sure they could match up to 1 mil, but probably get close. If they could get him to 800k, which I'm sure they could, I doubt he'd relocate for 200k more.

Assume Forbes is waiting to see if any movement on the auburn front? Pearl still in limbo it seems with the investigation per news.

What Casey Alexander has done is really impressive. He has built a NCAA tourney team with one recruiting arm tied behind his back, since it's a lot harder to recruit to Lipscomb than it is public universities, yet he was able to get his team into the NCAA tourney.

He is from Chattanooga and coaching in Nashville - I think he would be an easy hire for MT

What Casey Alexander has done is really impressive. He has built a NCAA tourney team with one recruiting arm tied behind his back, since it's a lot harder to recruit to Lipscomb than it is public universities, yet he was able to get his team into the NCAA tourney.

He is from Chattanooga and coaching in Nashville - I think he would be an easy hire for MT
He has never coached or recruited at a high mid major or P5 level. Hire would make no sense as he would have way to much ground to cover recruiting. Many more highly qualified candidates in front of him we could hire.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Crown him! Your benchmarking for a good coach is beating Belmont? WOW. How about a coach who wins a regular season conference championship or has a career head coaching record over 500.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTOleBlue
I have a sinking feeling, that this process is going to go as well as the other open head coach jobs at MT have the last 12 or 13 years. No longer will MT football be outshined by basketball.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I have zero confidence in MT’s leadership to get this right. The evidence backs up my skepticism.

It's down to 2 guys. Both will be OK, but I heavily favor one over the other. One has a longer track record of proven success, the other is a bit of a one-hit wonder, though has had 2 great years at a traditionally very bad school.

We'll be OK with both, but the guy with the longer track record is a safer hire and I absolutely know he can recruit talent because I watched his teams play multiple times this year, including in the NIT.

Neither of the 2 is Steve Forbes, which is unfortunate. He would have been an absolute GRAND SLAM hire. Steve Forbes is going to be a Blue Blood head coach one day, mark my words. Though I hope I'm wrong and he loses 20 games next year for turning us down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT