ADVERTISEMENT

MAC talk

I cant speak with any certainty re MTSU but I heard yesterday everything is good and announcement this week.
I am sure every MAC school is glad they will not longer be candidate for conference doormat for the next couple of years

I cant speak with any certainty re MTSU but I heard yesterday everything is good and announcement this week.
Fingers crossed we're included in that. I'm hoping MAC folks were at the game yesterday to talk to both schools and not just WKU.

I never did understand all the MAC bashing from the Middle Tennessee fans. But then I realize many of you were not even born when Miami defeated SEC schools in three consecutive years. While Middle Tennessee, in the Ohio Valley Conference, struggled with 4-7, 3-8, and 4-7 records during 1973, 1974, and 1975, Miami of the Mid-American Conference defeated Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina in the Tangerine Bowl.

December 22, 1973 Tangerine Bowl #15 Miami (OH) 16 Florida 7
December 21, 1974 Tangerine Bowl #15 Miami (OH) 21 Georgia 10
December 20, 1975 Tangerine Bowl #12 Miami (OH) 20 South Carolina 7

The MAC has a proud history. In 2003, Miami finished No. 10 in the AP Poll and as you see above, Miami finished No. 15 in 1973 and 1974, and No. 12 in 1975. That may seem like a very long time ago, but those memories are still there for me.

If Middle Tennessee becomes a new member of the MAC, hopefully then everyone will give the conference all the respect that it deserves.

If you watched the show "The Office", MT is a lot like Ryan.

Young eager .... thought to be hot by the head guy (Sun Belt's Wright Waters once called us sexy)
Had some success. Moved up (Ryan went to corporate and launched Dunder Mifflen Infinity)
Failed
Worked in a bowling alley/supplies closet and was undesirable (Current CUSA)

Just get this done. For crying out loud.

I'm ready for them to make a decision already too. This is not something that should take weeks to ponder over. Both schools have made their best offers, the MAC has made their best offer....if it works then go join your MAC conference. If not then move on and stay in CUSA.

Regardless of the outcome we need to focus on ourselves and start moving some dirt, like now. There's just no excuse anymore. Our AD was on record several years ago saying we had secured 90% of the funding. That was either a blatant lie (and he should be fired for lying) OR we're sitting on piles of cash and not moving dirt for some unknown reason.

And now we have waited so long I shudder to think just how much more $$$ it will cost to build now versus 5 years ago. There's never been a more expensive time to build than right now. LOL. Idiots.

He should be fired for several reasons, most of which are related to just straight failure to field a winning program.

But the phrase "secured the funding" is one of those dodgy semantic wordings that could be taken a # of ways - it doesn't necessarily mean they are actually sitting on 90% of the cash.

I hope the holdup is the MAC getting firm commitments that facilities will be upgraded and other "improvements" be made. It seems the only way MESSaro will deliver on his 90% funding achieved proclamation is to be forced into it.

Announcement was supposed to be Friday, now it's Monday afternoon and nothing? Hmmm.

I hope the holdup is the MAC getting firm commitments that facilities will be upgraded and other "improvements" be made. It seems the only way MESSaro will deliver on his 90% funding achieved proclamation is to be forced into it.

Announcement was supposed to be Friday, now it's Monday afternoon and nothing? Hmmm.
But see that’s the problem with the MAC. Go and I can promise no dirt will be moved. But let’s play it out for a moment. Riddle me this…

1) Does anyone really believe Massaro has $58M of the projected $65M?

2). If you don’t believe that where is the funding going to come from to do it?

3) When we join the MAC the little bit of revenue we do get will be vacated for two years. MT’s two year average comes out to around $4M from C-USA. That’s going to go away. And then we have to pay the MAC entrance fee. Our salary costs for coaches are massive by comparison to most of our peers. So, where are we going to find the money that’s going to be roughly around $5M shortfall over the next couple of years much less have extra to build facilities?

But see that’s the problem with the MAC. Go and I can promise no dirt will be moved. But let’s play it out for a moment. Riddle me this…

1) Does anyone really believe Massaro has $58M of the projected $65M?

2). If you don’t believe that where is the funding going to come from to do it?

3) When we join the MAC the little bit of revenue we do get will be vacated for two years. MT’s two year average comes out to around $4M from C-USA. That’s going to go away. And then we have to pay the MAC entrance fee. Our salary costs for coaches are massive by comparison to most of our peers. So, where are we going to find the money that’s going to be roughly around $5M shortfall over the next couple of years much less have extra to build facilities?

I simply don't believe they'll use any of the funds for facilities improvements or investments into the football or basketball program - so this never enters into my MAC vs CUSA calculation.

Do the facilities improvements even matter if we continue to suck at almost everything? What good will it do if we have the same people in charge who do not do what needs to be done? Sure we might get slightly better recruits and have a more structurally complete program, but complacency in just seeing what happens with CUSA is -- at least from what it seems like we've seen -- probably not going to be enough to spur a big shift like an entire new mindset in the MAC would. I dunno. What a crappy situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT