ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING late addition to 2017 class

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
excerpts:

...Jakerrius Wyatt, the AISA lineman of the year last season at Autauga Academy, is headed to Middle Tennessee.

Wyatt signed with the Blue Raiders after his grades received their NCAA Clearinghouse approval and reports at the end of the month.

“When I got the news, I just ran around the house telling my family,” Wyatt said. “I was in my room, and I got excited. They were excited, too.”

Wyatt, who starred on both offense and defense at Autauga, said he’ll be a defensive lineman with the Blue Raiders.

The 6-foot-3, 290-pounder had plans to go to Hutchinson Community College in Kansas before getting cleared for MTSU.

“I wanted to go to a Division I school,” Wyatt said. “It takes a lot of pressure off me knowing I can go ahead and get that out of the way.” ...

YES!!!! looks like we got a couple of other d-line out of the blue who are already on the roster as well. If we can stop the run we will win our division finally

That league he played in is not the highest level of football. Its the same as the independent league in TN. Did he transfer in because he was ineligible in the main high school classification?

Here are the other DT's that we have....
96 Rosheem Collins DL 6-1 303 Jr. Waycross, GA / Ware County
90 Rakavian Poydras DT 6-1 290 R-Fr. Clarksville, TN / Clarksville
91 Jordan Ferguson DT 6-2 287 Fr. Atlanta, GA / Cartersville
92 Ty Nix DT 6-0 282 R-Fr. Murfreesboro, TN / Oakland
93 Malik Manciel DT 6-3 257 R-So. Detroit, MI / Florence (AL)
97 Aaron Griffith DT 6-0 300 Jr. Union City, CA / James Logan
Jordan James DT 6-4 305 R-So. LaVergne, TN / Brentwood Academy
Jakerrius Wyatt 6-3, 290 as a freshman

That is a lot of depth with good size. We are just as deep at DE with an all American.

He must have some upside for the coaches to get excited. I would imagine most schools threw him to the ditch because of grades. I don't have my hopes up yet but glad to get enough people to give us some depth. three months ago we only had 4 DT's and true freshman. Glad to see Ferguson at 287. He is going to be a Hauss!!!

the difference is the level of competition he played against. looking at the kids trying to block him, they weren't very good. hope he makes a difference.

He must have some upside for the coaches to get excited. I would imagine most schools threw him to the ditch because of grades. I don't have my hopes up yet but glad to get enough people to give us some depth. three months ago we only had 4 DT's and true freshman. Glad to see Ferguson at 287. He is going to be a Hauss!!!

I think Ferguson's numbers are a little inflated. Rivals last year had him at 6-2 245. I believe Casey confirmed this when he signed and he was around 245.

It seems whoever posts the height and weights of these players on GBR likes to inflate them.

We don't have to stop the run, we just need to slow it down!

I honestly think that has to do with coaching more than bodies. Our scheme was horrible these last few years. LB's would be lined up 7 yards off the LOS and the DL didn't attack or shift. There was also no pre-snap play disguise or adjustments. When it's 3rd and 2 and the LBs line up 6 yards away while the DL doesn't shift and the Safeties don't even creep up, you're getting burned even if you have Alabama's players.

I'm not saying the players aren't important but good strategy and game planning from a good coach will make a bad player decent and a decent player great. Nix had no game plan and coached like he was behind a step the entire game. His style was predictable and coached his players to wait until the play came to them instead of attacking the play. We have decent players and enough talent to win. Shafer should help us on the game planning and strategy to help them succeed.

Here are the other DT's that we have....
96 Rosheem Collins DL 6-1 303 Jr. Waycross, GA / Ware County
90 Rakavian Poydras DT 6-1 290 R-Fr. Clarksville, TN / Clarksville
91 Jordan Ferguson DT 6-2 287 Fr. Atlanta, GA / Cartersville
92 Ty Nix DT 6-0 282 R-Fr. Murfreesboro, TN / Oakland
93 Malik Manciel DT 6-3 257 R-So. Detroit, MI / Florence (AL)
97 Aaron Griffith DT 6-0 300 Jr. Union City, CA / James Logan
Jordan James DT 6-4 305 R-So. LaVergne, TN / Brentwood Academy
Jakerrius Wyatt 6-3, 290 as a freshman

That is a lot of depth with good size. We are just as deep at DE with an all American.

Griffith, Jordan James, Jakerrius Wyatt are all new guys on the roster. Size at DT was a huge problem that we didn't address on signing day outside of Collins. I ain't buying Ferguson at 287.

Let's hope they can play and aren't just warm bodies taking up a 'ship like so many of our JUCO signees.

Seriously, look at the JUCOs we've signed. We're lucky to get one guy out of five that can actually play.

We're loaded on offense, LB's should be the strength of the D and the defensive backs should be adequate. There's a good chance that those 3 JUCOs might be the difference in a win or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
I also noticed Zack Dobson is the only freshman on the roster without a #?

Any worries about him actually showing up?

I also noticed Zack Dobson is the only freshman on the roster without a #?

Any worries about him actually showing up?
I believe he had an injury that required surgery earlier in the year. Last I heard they plan on redshirting him.

I honestly think that has to do with coaching more than bodies. Our scheme was horrible these last few years. LB's would be lined up 7 yards off the LOS and the DL didn't attack or shift. There was also no pre-snap play disguise or adjustments. When it's 3rd and 2 and the LBs line up 6 yards away while the DL doesn't shift and the Safeties don't even creep up, you're getting burned even if you have Alabama's players.

I'm not saying the players aren't important but good strategy and game planning from a good coach will make a bad player decent and a decent player great. Nix had no game plan and coached like he was behind a step the entire game. His style was predictable and coached his players to wait until the play came to them instead of attacking the play. We have decent players and enough talent to win. Shafer should help us on the game planning and strategy to help them succeed.
Agree. Nix had our guys out of position to make plays.

It seems pretty clear that MT has been in a pretty desperate situation of lacking of returning and/or incoming interior defensive lineman. I'm guessing MT had to go out and take any shot they could at bringing in any reasonably sized and abled bodied defensive tackles. With a number of new players and depth being much needed, hopefully a couple of these young men can take advantage of what has to be a tremendous opportunity for interior defensive lineman.

Some of MT's best players have been late qualifiers - I think it is why Stock has no problem holding back a scholly or two on national signing day.

Hey Raiderdoug....what about our OL? I don't have a good comfort level there.

I think we'll be ok on the OL. We've got essentially 3 starters back in Johnson, Brewer, and Behanen (3 starts, but played in all of them). We've got some depth that hasn't started, but are either redshirts or have been in the system. We might have a new guy, but I don't see a spot on the OL where we're relying on a completely unknown player.

It's not like we run some road-grading power OL, or some crazy complex zone scheme anyway.

It seems pretty clear that MT has been in a pretty desperate situation of lacking of returning and/or incoming interior defensive lineman. I'm guessing MT had to go out and take any shot they could at bringing in any reasonably sized and abled bodied defensive tackles. With a number of new players and depth being much needed, hopefully a couple of these young men can take advantage of what has to be a tremendous opportunity for interior defensive lineman.

Also, go back and look over the last few years. We've had a lot of DL get kicked off the team for disciplinary reasons. More than a few. That also causes an imbalance in numbers.

Makes sense.

Seems kind of odd though, lots of guys in this class will redshirt, yet they all got #'s.

I thought it was kind of odd too but we already know that he will wear #24 when he gets a number. IIRC there was a DNJ article in the Aldo era talking about Ty Lee switching so Dobson could honor his brother. Lee is now listed as #8.

Reactions: C-Bow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT