ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Kermit Davis had productive meeting with Massaro

If his base is $375K with bonuses (He made about $420K this year)

What is he worth? The challenge is there has to be "new" monies into the department in order to give someone a raise, right?

Does anyone know how many years he has on his current deal?

I understand the UAB coach was making $1M a year. No way we would pay close to that. What say you?

Yeah. Kermit is definitely on the low end. My wife used to work in the athletic department at University of North Florida who is in the A-Sun and their basketball coach either made close to the same amount or just over Kermit.

Considering what Kermit accomplished this year it is sickening to know that the top Memphis Asst, Robert Kirby is paid $305,000 and Josh Pastner makes $2.65M guaranteed for 4 more years at a total of $10.6 million if he is fired (with no offset if he takes another job) or just sits at home.

When you factor in the success he has had the last 3-4 years, how could he not be one of he highest paid coaches in the league? Should be at least 700k in my opinion (and probably closer to 800k or 900k + incentives) if UAB was paying their man $1 million.

wasn't wku paying harper something like 600k?
I believe I saw that in the day or two after Harper resigned. Regardless, I'm not sure I give CKD anything more than about 600k and a one year extension on the current deal. MT's athletic department can't afford two albatross-type contracts

I believe I saw that in the day or two after Harper resigned. Regardless, I'm not sure I give CKD anything more than about 600k and a one year extension on the current deal. MT's athletic department can't afford two albatross-type contracts

I did not see how long the current contract runs in the article. Does anyone know that?

I tend to agree on not being stuck with long term contracts. I'd rather see large incentives for certain achievements - ncaa appearances and victories than a contract longer than 4 or 5 years. I hope Massaro can give Kermit what he needs to identify and sign the recruits that will put and keep MT at the very top of the conference standings.

Unfortunately because we can't pay a lot, we compensate with lengthy contract extensions. Better hope you've got the right guy, and with regards to Kermit, I believe we do. Can't say the same with Stockstill.

Unfortunately because we can't pay a lot, we compensate with lengthy contract extensions. Better hope you've got the right guy, and with regards to Kermit, I believe we do. Can't say the same with Stockstill.

You better get ready for the pitchforks, Wiley.

Let's hope the C-USA title game is played in Murfreesboro next season. Anything less would be unacceptable.

I tend to think that MT compensates lack of available cash with length of contract. Whatever the case, I hope they can reward Kermit with a good contract. He earned it this season. Think about it, 2nd round of the dance, with no true center and down to about 3rd or 4th option at PG. Kind of crazy when I think about it.

There is something appealing to me about MT having coaches over the long haul who retire from MT with facilities named after them. I believe Kermit made mention of something similar in that he liked and admired Frank Beamer's tenure at VT.

MT is pretty much already there in many ways. Dean Hayes. Baseball comes to mind. Insell. I suspect Stockstill is on course for this with his age and contract. Maybe Kermit's contract gets worked out this way as well.

Of course, the appeal to long term coaches is that they are highly successful at MT. Kermit has demonstrated that the last 4 or 5 years. While Coach Stock has demonstrated modest success, I suspect the next few years will reveal just how much success he can achieve.

I'd like to see a slight base salary adjustment, with some sort of bonus structure / pay at risk:
(I'm just throwing numbers out for kicks and giggles)

20 win season: $50k
Conference Tournament Win: $50k per win
Conference Championship Win: $150k
CBI/CIT/Vegas16: $25k per win
NIT Torunament Win: $50k per win
NCAA Tournament Win: $250k per win

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT