ADVERTISEMENT

WE WANT KERMIT!!!!!!

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
actor-kermit-the-frog-254023_large.jpg

Funny how time heals wounds. If we go back a half dozen years just before Kermit left we had what was thought to be possibly MT's greatest recruiting class ever coming in, along with a pretty solid returning foundation. Suddenly Kermit made the announcement & our entire future was lost. Everyone departed, & the program was in shambles.
Numerous statements were made on while we wished him luck, but that we should never take him back for laying waste to a once developing top 25 program.
Remember it took Kermit 9 long years to get us to respectability. In 2 weeks he will be 64. I have no doubt Davis can get us back to respectability, but it wouldn't be overnight & in reality the man is at retirement age.
I would not be entirely be opposed to Kermit coming back. Even in his foundational years his teams never looked helpless. They always were well coached & put up a fight. The only thing I'm saying with Kermit is it will likely not be a 1 year turn around, & at the age of 64 does he have the zest & determination to see a complete rebuild again?
There aren't too many Chris Beard's out there, but in 3 months time he has Ole Miss playing better than what Kermit had them playing in the last 6 years. I'm definitely on the band wagon for finding a new coach, but in the last 40 years we only had 1 coach who gave us a quick & timely turnaround. His name wasn't Kermit Davis, it was the late Bruce Stewart. He was a young energetic coach who took a failed program & turned us into tournament champions in 1 year.
If we don't mind waiting another 4-5 years go with Kermit as the next coach. However, If we want the possibility of a faster turnaround we also need to look for the next Bruce Stewart. I have a feeling he's out there, we just need a dedicated group to find him.

That’s a good point and perspective.

The sudden panic is due to bleakness already in November and December. Just not where most of us thought basketball would be.

Reactions: MTFAN61
That’s a good point and perspective.

The sudden panic is due to bleakness already in November and December. Just not where most of us thought basketball would be.
Concerning the other perspective & because of our bleak situation I totally get where the others are coming from. It took him a while, but Kermit took us to heights never before achieved. That's why I didn't want to totally poo poo the idea. Just felt we may want to explore another option as well.

This is what concerns me about McPhees involvement in the coaching search. Ryan Odom should have been the coach. And yeah he probably would have left here after five years, but this program would be in much better shape likely with at least one conference title and NCAA tournament appearance. But we'll never know because McPhee couldn't get out of the way. Unfortunately, we do know what we got with him peddling his influence.

The same guy who didn't understand why facilities were important to athletics thinks he knows how to select a head coach? SMH

This is what concerns me about McPhees involvement in the coaching search. Ryan Odom should have been the coach. And yeah he probably would have left here after five years, but this program would be in much better shape likely with at least one conference title and NCAA tournament appearance. But we'll never know because McPhee couldn't get out of the way. Unfortunately, we do know what we got with him peddling his influence.

The same guy who didn't understand why facilities were important to athletics thinks he knows how to select a head coach? SMH
This right here. McPhee is the problem.

From Dec 9, 2018. He didn't...

This style of basketball hasn't proven to be all that successful in C-USA. Harper tried it at wkcc. Benton tried it at North Texas. And both got run out of town. There are other examples too. There is just a big difference between the SoCon and the schedule and league we play now. We play teams that play superb defense....

I personally just don't think McDevitt was the right hire for this program at this time. McPhee forced this decision. The UMBC coach would have been a better selection for this program at this time. Even the Murray coach would probably been a better choice. McDevitt seems like a good guy. But he's never been out of Asheville. MT wasn't the place to see if he could spread his wings. It was a huge risk hire. Hopefully, he will prove me wrong.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Even with Kermit and the long build up before post season success, it could be seen that he was a good coach. I don't recall ever leaving Murphy Center in Kermit's era, after a game as angry, frustrated, and disappointed as last night. This is not just an injury to a key player kind of thing that happened to numerous CKD teams. There's something missing to this team, more than just a Cam Weston injury.

We seem to forget the many mediocre years with KD when many on this board were screaming for him to be fired. Only in the last few years were the results what we all had been waiting for. Not sure many of the new generation players would fit into KD’s system or put up with what is required in his eyes to succeed.

Not sure many of the new generation players would fit into KD’s system or put up with what is required in his eyes to succeed.
I certainly agree with this. Not sure how many second go-arounds have been as successful as the firsts, nor do I know how many examples there are of that. Love what Kermit brought to the table while here. Not sure that be duplicated a second time. Or even if he would want to try.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT