ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Return of Kermit?

From what I've heard, Gregg Marshall was a finalist for the job when we chose Kermit. IIRC, Marshall really rubbed Massaro the wrong way and felt he was way too cocky.
You are correct. Someone close to me was on the committe and said he was one of the most arrogant guys he had ever seen and felt he would not be a good fit. Yet, he can coach for sure.

Reactions: ewglenn
Concerning CM wanting a long term hire. I agree that for a G5 school that's a ludicrous philosophy. It's basically CM saying we don't want the best, it's ok to settle for someone less desirable.
You can't spend tens of millions of $ on upgrading the Murphy Center & not want the best possible coach available.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
I'm thinking Pearl was a candidate who ghosted MT and we ended up hiring Weil?
Possibly. I just remember an interview he gave when Knoxville Correctional came to the Murphy Center. He made reference to interviewing for our vacancy and that if he had gotten the job, he would have ended up in Knoxville even quicker.

Basketball is a little different than football, coaches don't turn over as fast as they do in football. It's seems the BIG 2 coaches in football get only 3.5 years, unless there is an investigation or just not a cultural fit basketball usually seems to be around 6 year. I guess the amount of D1 schools plays a part in that. So someone could come here and be here for 2 contracts or more and have success and not move especially if they are paying over 700k.

Schertz would be a heck of a hire, but sadly is totally opposite of CM's mantra.

He's stated multiple times he likes continuity and wants someone who wants to be here long term. I personally hate that approach, especially nowadays.

I've said before, if a coach leaves after 3yrs for a P5, so what. Let them. It doesn't affect recruting like it used to due to the portal. Players are only here 2-3 yrs themselves anyway. Has CM ever hired someone that's been at multiple lower stops on their way up? Ever?

Is it better to hire a coach who is here 3yrs then hired away after he wins us two champs and a NCAA win, or one who is here for 6yrs or more with no champs and only a few CBI wins? You think Troy FB regrets Brown and Sumrall just cause they left? Will FAU regret May if he leaves? Or JMU losing Byington to WVU? Of course not. They wouldn't give up those turnarounds, great seasons, and conference championships for middle of the road consistency, and we shouldn't either.
Schertz was at Lincoln Memorial for 13 seasons, so not like he has only been places a few years at a time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT