ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Is Lane Kiffen what this conference needed?

JohnDavidBlue

All American
Sep 10, 2005
This may have been posted already but Lane has signed an extension until 2027 at FAU. The CUSA arms race is in full swing. Rather than handing out tenure for a "pretty good season" without a championship, they did the needful after winning the conference.

I'm thinking that Lane is probably one of the best things to happen to this conference. He is energetic. He gets media coverage. He can coach . Also, after watching the debacle on the Hill, could coaches wise up and settle down at mid major programs while building a legacy without the pressure of billionaire boosters?

I'm just curious if we will ever sniff a title with him in the east. These next couple of years are going to be hard on Stock schedule wise. I hope the cusa arms race makes everyone better, including the cupcakes we play in November.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fau-owls/fl-sp-fau-lane-kiffin-extension-20171219-story.html

Reactions: dukewayne
This may have been posted already but Lane has signed an extension until 2027 at FAU. The CUSA arms race is in full swing. Rather than handing out tenure for a "pretty good season" without a championship, they did the needful after winning the conference.

I'm thinking that Lane is probably one of the best things to happen to this conference. He is energetic. He gets media coverage. He can coach . Also, after watching the debacle on the Hill, could coaches wise up and settle down at mid major programs while building a legacy without the pressure of billionaire boosters?

I'm just curious if we will ever sniff a title with him in the east...

I think Kiffen and Davis at FIU are making cusa tougher/better and it will likely not be good for us.

I don't know about that. Davis is manageable. Kiffin is a different ball game but let's be honest, folks all over the league will adjust to that quick ball stuff. It's more about Kendall Briles than Kiffin.

I think they make all of us better...we will either get better to try to win the championship or we will regress.

I think winning the bowl game helps...yesterday Toledo was steam rolled, UAB and NT were crushed in their games. We are in a better position today than we were last year. We know we have a better D, we also know we couldn't play any worse on offense.

I think they make all of us better...we will either get better to try to win the championship or we will regress.

I think winning the bowl game helps...yesterday Toledo was steam rolled, UAB and NT were crushed in their games. We are in a better position today than we were last year. We know we have a better D, we also know we couldn't play any worse on offense.

There's always worse. See UTEP, Charlotte, ODU and Rice.

Hey, as long as we win 6 games a year and get Bowl Eligible who cares? Winning the bowl game is the cherry on top.

EATT

And Merry Christmas fellow MTSU grads!

All I know is that I was down there in Montgomery and it felt a lot better than winning 8 games and than getting rocked by Hawaii or Navy. UNT won the west, went to the championship game and got destroyed on national TV twice in a row. I'll take our position right now over that any day. 315, I know you were being a smart a$$ but winning the bowl game mattered and is only the second time we've done it. It wasn't a cherry on top. It was a verifier that we belong and that we have it in us to do great things when we are focused and a bit pissed off.

Arky st. was a better team than most of the CUSA teams we faced this year. They were better than Hawaii was last year. This is usually the type of game we lose. I saw a different team last Saturday and a different fan base to be honest. 315, you yourself said we would get rolled 45-19. We win and now you still take shots. Typical.

So to answer the question. Does Lane Kiffin make us better? No. Does Kendal Briles? Yes. When we played FAU, we didn't have Brent or Richie. We also didn't have Tavarus Thomas running back there yet or a healthy West. Next year, it will be a different story at our house with a healthier team and a better OL. The Briles offense is effective but it has kinks. Ask Buffalo.

It took Kermit about that long to start winning on a consistent basis. I guess we should have tossed him after year 8. We'll see how it goes.

I don't know about that. Davis is manageable. Kiffin is a different ball game but let's be honest, folks all over the league will adjust to that quick ball stuff. It's more about Kendall Briles than Kiffin.
Not discounting Kendall Briles abilities as a coach (he's up-and-coming coach), but Kiffin is one of the best offensive minds in college football.

When FIU hired Butch Davis and FAU hired Lane Kiffin last year, it raised the profile of both schools and sent a message to the rest of the conference - it's time to take football seriously.

Well, that was until UTEP made a terrible hire in K-State's OC Dana Dimel (with a 30-39 record)

The quality of HC's in C-USA has improved in the last few years.

The Hawaii trip wasn’t kind to him

Don't know what you expect when we play P5 schools who earlier this year were both ranked in the top 10 and are loaded with 3,4 &5 star athletes. IMHO we represented very well in The Islands, although admittedly a victory in just either of the last two would have been huge.

Reactions: Hop45
Don't know what you expect when we play P5 schools who earlier this year were both ranked in the top 10 and are loaded with 3,4 &5 star athletes. IMHO we represented very well in The Islands, although admittedly a victory in just either of the last two would have been huge.

Forgive me. I’m also a Belmont grad so I expect to win every time they take the floor like at North Carolina a few years back or even when they play MT.

Forgive me. I’m also a Belmont grad so I expect to win every time they take the floor like at North Carolina a few years back or even when they play MT.

When it comes to basketball and trolling opportunities, I thought you would be spending all your time on the memphis board focused on memphis tiger basketball and y'all's coach and the marvelous rebuilding job he's doing, or have you been banned again down there.

Reactions: MarJac23
Its not good for those who support schools that have their even steven coach on a contract that will not expire until that supporter dies so the supporter will have no idea who the new coach is or what will happen after that.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Its not good for those who support schools that have their even steven coach on a contract that will not expire until that supporter dies so the supporter will have no idea who the new coach is or what will happen after that.

So the choice is either to support the program anyway or create a GoFundme to buy the contract out. Just whining on the message board doesn't solve our problems. This is my beef for the people that have checked out. The contract is what it is, it cannot be changed but if some folks had the money to buy Stock out then we would have more options. So either support the program or get a crew together to buy him out.

So the choice is either to support the program anyway or create a GoFundme to buy the contract out. Just whining on the message board doesn't solve our problems. This is my beef for the people that have checked out. The contract is what it is, it cannot be changed but if some folks had the money to buy Stock out then we would have more options. So either support the program or get a crew together to buy him out.

ADCM and Syd are the folks responsible for that contract, maybe they should fork over their $$ to fix the issue

ADCM and Syd are the folks responsible for that contract, maybe they should fork over their $$ to fix the issue

Nice comment but you know it doesn't solve anything....its a contract, its done. At the time, we all thought it was a good deal. Stock stayed at MT for less money, but a longer term deal.

Nice comment but you know it doesn't solve anything....its a contract, its done. At the time, we all thought it was a good deal. Stock stayed at MT for less money, but a longer term deal.
Nothing solves anything, especially that deal. It is basically unsolvable. Unless one of us wins the Lotto Jackpot. Hope I am wrong and next year is awesome. But the probability is, Stocks deal will survive my lifetime or I will be in a nursing home with a TV package that does not include CUSA games so I will be unable to see it for myself.

Nothing solves anything, especially that deal. It is basically unsolvable. Unless one of us wins the Lotto Jackpot. Hope I am wrong and next year is awesome. But the probability is, Stocks deal will survive my lifetime or I will be in a nursing home with a TV package that does not include CUSA games so I will be unable to see it for myself.

Or, we can all support the program, not saying you are not. But many on these boards are not investing in the program anymore.

Or, we can all support the program, not saying you are not. But many on these boards are not investing in the program anymore.
Or many of us have supported until we were blue in the face and got a shyte return. Maybe next year will be another 2009 and bring some life to those of us on the edge and some new blood into the mix. If not though, more will check out.

I was expecting this year to be like 2009 but the offense collapsed when Brent went down.

That said, The defense is back to 2009 level or better. The offense will be good as long as we have a quality QB.

Reactions: Predarat
I was expecting this year to be like 2009 but the offense collapsed when Brent went down.

That said, The defense is back to 2009 level or better. The offense will be good as long as we have a quality QB.
They did win a bowl game, that is kind of 2009ish. Yes the stadium was about the size of Eagleville High, but it was a much needed bowl win that will hopefully get good momentum for next season. And not another tarp of shame.

Not discounting Kendall Briles abilities as a coach (he's up-and-coming coach), but Kiffin is one of the best offensive minds in college football.

They weren't doing jack until they flipped to the quick ball run based style of Briles after the Buffalo game. Briles is not up and coming. He's here bro. Look what he did in his last season at Baylor. FAU went in to warp drive only after Kiffin was talked out of the pass happy stuff and went to the ground with the hurry up run stuff. Yeah, Kiffin did great at Bama. Uh, I could do great at Bama. You have 3 lines of 5 star players with the best offensive linemen and coaches in the nation. If you can't win with that, you suck at your job.

Without Briles, Kiffin wouldn't have won 4 games this year and even FAU fans have said that.

It took Kermit 13 years?
Winning an out right conference basketball tournament, it took Kermit 14 years. He's been here since 02 my friend. Winning the regular road conference, it took 11 years. We're stuck with Stock but not having a losing season since 2011 is ok with me. WKU can't even say that now. We now hold the longest streak in CUSA of 6-6 or better seasons. May not matter to some of y'all but I'll take that over Charlotte and how WKU fell apart this year.

I was in Bowling Green and it was obvious that we were their Super Bowl. After they beat us in 3 OT's they were done and I even said that while leaving. I said FIU was gonna eat their lunch and some WKU fans gave me nasty looks and I said "I'll bet you 100 bucks right now, I'll give you my cell number and let's make it happen". Those WKU fans walked away. What happened? They fell apart like fish on a grill. Sanford is an awful coach. You have Mike White and some great WR's and you go 6-6. He did the same crap at ND when they booted him.

Last edited:

Dude, what school did you not go to? LOL. Belmont is a guaranteed winner? LOL. They're 8-5 with 2 losses to Liscomb. When did they ever get to the 2nd round of the tourney? They went to the 2nd round of the NIT last year. Awesome. We took out a 5th seed in the real tourney.

Belmont hasn't faced anyone on the level of Miami this season.

They weren't doing jack until they flipped to the quick ball run based style of Briles after the Buffalo game. Briles is not up and coming. He's here bro. Look what he did in his last season at Baylor. FAU went in to warp drive only after Kiffin was talked out of the pass happy stuff and went to the ground with the hurry up run stuff. Yeah, Kiffin did great at Bama. Uh, I could do great at Bama. You have 3 lines of 5 star players with the best offensive linemen and coaches in the nation. If you can't win with that, you suck at your job.

Without Briles, Kiffin wouldn't have won 4 games this year and even FAU fans have said that.
Briles is up-and-coming in the sense that he hasn't reached his full potential. He's a great coach and the Briles offense is legit. He'll have his chance to move back to a P5 school as OC/WR coach this offseason

Yes, Kiffin had success at Bama where he had a new starting quarterback for three straight years. He built a scheme on each team's strengths and minimized their weaknesses (not that Alabama has many to begin with).

Dude, what school did you not go to? LOL. Belmont is a guaranteed winner? LOL. They're 8-5 with 2 losses to Liscomb. When did they ever get to the 2nd round of the tourney? They went to the 2nd round of the NIT last year. Awesome. We took out a 5th seed in the real tourney.

What can I say? I’m an academic. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Briles is up-and-coming in the sense that he hasn't reached his full potential. He's a great coach and the Briles offense is legit. He'll have his chance to move back to a P5 school as OC/WR coach this offseason

Yes, Kiffin had success at Bama where he had a new starting quarterback for three straight years. He built a scheme on each team's strengths and minimized their weaknesses (not that Alabama has many to begin with).

What were those QB's rankings and who were their RB's with who at OL? Again, if you can't win with Henry and some of those other dudes with 3 lines of 5 star talent, go be a waiter somewhere. If Kiffin was that amazing, he would have lasted at USC where he had 5 star talent there as well. He didn't have Nick Saban. That's the difference. By himself he is mediocre. Put him next to a real talent, he's a rockstar.

Briles has arrived in my opinion. If he wasn't a literal pimp helping setup a massive rape situation at Baylor, he would be there now or at another P5 school. He's nuclear now and Lane Kiffin is the new Honey Badger that don't care. That's the only reason he's there. The next season of Last Chance U might as well be filmed at FAU. If you stabbed, shot or killed someone or committed armed robbery while punching a girl in the face at a bar, then Joey Freshwater has a spot for you.

Our own Blue Raiders aren’t considered on the level of Miami?

What were those QB's rankings and who were their RB's with who at OL? Again, if you can't win with Henry and some of those other dudes with 3 lines of 5 star talent, go be a waiter somewhere. If Kiffin was that amazing, he would have lasted at USC where he had 5 star talent there as well. He didn't have Nick Saban. That's the difference. By himself he is mediocre. Put him next to a real talent, he's a rockstar.

Briles has arrived in my opinion. If he wasn't a literal pimp helping setup a massive rape situation at Baylor, he would be there now or at another P5 school. He's nuclear now and Lane Kiffin is the new Honey Badger that don't care. That's the only reason he's there. The next season of Last Chance U might as well be filmed at FAU. If you stabbed, shot or killed someone or committed armed robbery while punching a girl in the face at a bar, then Joey Freshwater has a spot for you.

An SEC DC says otherwise :
“Alabama really misses Lane Kiffin,” a SEC defensive coordinator said. ‘It’s not the same. They miss the creativity and the big plays’”
https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/...des-offense-alabama-really-misses-lane-kiffin

Kiffin won 65% of his games at USC while on probation - that’s a pretty solid effort IMO.

I see your point on Briles...perhaps if he was given more time to establish himself as an OC before the Baylor debacle (especially without his father looking over him)?

Kiffin (and Briles) are both radioactive for completely seprate reasons. When, or if, they’ll have an opportunity to return to P5 is TBD, but I credit Kiffin for gathering a team of guys hungry to return to the top after making it to the top. His coaches and players are motivated to win championships and he’s got the aggressive, play-to-win attitude that gives kids confidence IMO

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Unintentionally, a couple of weeks passed since I've been around the board. Seems one thing remains a constant with the troll from Belmont asserting the yearly Final 4 status of Belmont.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Kiffin rolling in here this year without Briles. I like those odds a lot better. If you watch film, they were running the Baylor attack style quick pace offense. That was Briles. It will be interesting to see who he gets now.

Kiffin rolling in here this year without Briles. I like those odds a lot better. If you watch film, they were running the Baylor attack style quick pace offense. That was Briles. It will be interesting to see who he gets now.

Since that worked so well you'd think other coaches would adopt it in the conference. We may see more of it from our conference opponents. Hell I'd like to see it out of our offense, especially now that our defense is not expected to be the massive liability it has been the last four or five years with Shafer here for a second season now.

When it works, it's awesome. However, it takes a different mindset from the coaching discipline, the strength and conditioning all the way down to the execution. You have to have the players to be able to do it with and you have to have to be extremely organized running scripted plays at quickly calling audibles. Fau did what Mizzou did which was call the plays so fast that the defense simply can't sub out because if they do, it's 12 men on the field. It's faster than a hurry up we've been used to. More teams will try it but you can turn the ball over and if you go 3 and out, you only had the ball for like 25 seconds. It's a double edge sword.

Reactions: AustinLewis
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT