ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Info regarding the conclusion to spring camp...

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
Rather than a formal spring game, it will be a practice in front of recruits, their families and fans. It starts at 10:30 at Floyd this Saturday..

What a waste, who wants to go watch a watered down practice? At least let us watch a watered down game. The admin is not listening to the fans on something that should be an easy change. Typical…

Reactions: Sommy
This should be an event. Blue/white game, meet & greet, picnic on field, kids bounce houses, beer tastings for all the home game beers from the previous season, a late night baseball game after. There is just so much they could do to make this an event to hype the season but no.

It's a practice. Makes no sense.

This should be an event. Blue/white game, meet & greet, picnic on field, kids bounce houses, beer tastings for all the home game beers from the previous season, a late night baseball game after. There is just so much they could do to make this an event to hype the season but no.

It's a practice. Makes no sense.
The baseball game is a good concept. TBH I was expecting the practice to be under the lights

Last edited:
Reactions: MidTennMtneer
You guys are underestimating Ole Stock. He doesn't want to show our upcoming opponents, especially Alabama, our plays and strengths. I'm sure Saban would send scouts to prepare for the opener.
<sarcasm off>

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

I just want guys like QB 2/3 Jeff Murphy to justify this BS. They tell us that we are the problem. Meanwhile, Deion Sanders is having a full game and has sold out their spring game. The money is going to a charity. Deion is a marketer. Say what you will but at least he gives a damn and tries to bring excitement to everything he does. Stock doesn't care about excitement or fans and then complains about bad attendance. Hey Stock, mASSaro and whoever linked to this department...... "You can't have it both ways A-holes! If y'all don't care, why in the world should we?

I just want guys like QB 2/3 Jeff Murphy to justify this BS. They tell us that we are the problem. Meanwhile, Deion Sanders is having a full game and has sold out their spring game. The money is going to a charity. Deion is a marketer. Say what you will but at least he gives a damn and tries to bring excitement to everything he does. Stock doesn't care about excitement or fans and then complains about bad attendance. Hey Stock, mASSaro and whoever linked to this department...... "You can't have it both ways A-holes! If y'all don't care, why in the world should we?
Marketing is a major problem at MT. It’s absolutely horrible

Meanwhile at other schools:

Beamer is building something there. No they won't be the next Alabama but easily regularly ranked, winning seasons, and Bowls. Can't complain with that. And one thing theh do we don't....Beamer is majorly engaged with fans and the dept is always posting something silly on socials.

I also saw several schools posting with several thousand yesterday. P5 and G5. I'll continue to say this is a major missed opportunity for Middle.

I've got friends driving 3hrs to WVU's next week. For a school coming off a losing season and a coach in the hot seat. Still going.

If James Walker had never left we'd be in a legitimate conference and would be contenders for national rankings every year.
The state does not want this university to be great. They want an ordinary average school to take the place of the educational joke that is tsu. As a result, they've appointed a puppet as school president.

Practice like you play. In a near empty stadium.

How Friday Night Stripes will be structured​

Remember the Blue-Gray Spring Game format? The Tigers are bringing it back this year. So, it won't be the first-team offense facing the first-team defense, and so on. Instead, Silverfield is mixing it up.

“Part of that is because our roster this spring is as big as (it can be),” said Silverfield. “So, instead of 1s versus 1s, 2s versus 2s, we’re gonna split up the roster and go play ball.”
Link:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...me-what-to-know-and-who-to-watch/70123127007/

How Friday Night Stripes will be structured​

Remember the Blue-Gray Spring Game format? The Tigers are bringing it back this year. So, it won't be the first-team offense facing the first-team defense, and so on. Instead, Silverfield is mixing it up.

“Part of that is because our roster this spring is as big as (it can be),” said Silverfield. “So, instead of 1s versus 1s, 2s versus 2s, we’re gonna split up the roster and go play ball.”
Link:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...me-what-to-know-and-who-to-watch/70123127007/
This isn’t a Memphis forum

I get WHY MT didn't do a "traditional" spring game. In the spring, your scholarship numbers are usually lower so you don't have the depth to fill out two rosters (BTW, IMO this is an argument WHY MT should be able to scrimmage other in-state schools).

But it's such a missed opportunity to engage fans.

Most fans don't care about WR drills or geek out over routes on air so the drill portion of practice is lost on most fans IMO.

I get WHY MT didn't do a "traditional" spring game. In the spring, your scholarship numbers are usually lower so you don't have the depth to fill out two rosters (BTW, IMO this is an argument WHY MT should be able to scrimmage other in-state schools).

But it's such a missed opportunity to engage fans.

Most fans don't care about WR drills or geek out over routes on air so the drill portion of practice is lost on most fans IMO.
👆👆👆

Someone wake up Rick.

This isn’t a Memphis forum
Could've fooled me.... seems like Memphis and West Virginia get talked about here a lot.

But if I were to mention anything about the team I grew up loving less than 3 hours to the east, I'd be shunned.

Could've fooled me.... seems like Memphis and West Virginia get talked about here a lot.

But if I were to mention anything about the team I grew up loving less than 3 hours to the east, I'd be shunned.
Guilty.

I just get frustrated when I see other schools do things we should or take advantage of opportunities that we missed when we had that same opportunity.

And feel free to mention that other team now and then. Just don't be offended when I say it is an ugly color and I hope the stadium falls in the river. 🙃

Reactions: ewglenn
Rightfully so lol
I don't mind it actually. I came to school at MT almost 26 years ago, and up until last season ('22), I RARELY missed an MT home game (and went to several away games incl the first 3 bowl games), even though my wife and young kids aren't into it and don't come with me.

And even though there was some hype in me after the Miami win, I knew in my mind that if we didn't come out and beat UTSA the following week, it was gonna be another mediocre season under Stock. So after that Friday night, I left for the rest of the season, and that just so happen to coincide with the meat of the schedule for the best season in recent memory for the team to the east.

My loyalty lies here in the boro, first and foremost. But, this will probably be my new pattern going forward. This season, if we are not AT LEAST 3-2 after the WKU game, and having beaten them to start conference play, I'll probably be out again. Because I've finally gotten to the point of not wanting to waste my time and energy on a program that does not have higher aspirations and expectations than I have for them.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
I think a number of people are ok with us having multiple interests in varying teams. Of course that doesn't include everyone. While I went to MT for my college tenure my father's first 2 years were in Knoxville, & his next 2 were in Murfreesboro. Understandably he felt a strong allegiance to both schools. And as with MidTennMtneer I feel that's fine.
Though MT has tens of thousands of grads in the mid-state area, the sense of loyalty & allegiance to its athletic programs is dwindling year by year. I believe anyone who shows even a modicum of interest in MT athletics is a welcome addition, even if you root for another team as well.
When it comes to our aspirations not meeting the administration's, well there's our shared answer to why interest is always dwindling. Until their's a new administration with higher goals in place, like an old song says....same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

Memphis is back on the schedule for a home and home starting in 2024. Why would MTSU Football supporters not be interested in how they get fans in the seats?

Reactions: MTFAN61
Memphis is back on the schedule for a home and home starting in 2024. Why would MTSU Football supporters not be interested in how they get fans in the seats?
Memphis would be a game that hopefully would garner interest. If we look back the past few seasons I think we have to admit the 1st home game usually has a decent turnout. However after game 1 attendance seems to go down game by game after that. If Memphis is a 2nd or 3rd home game it could hopefully prove to reverse that decline.

I think a number of people are ok with us having multiple interests in varying teams. Of course that doesn't include everyone. While I went to MT for my college tenure my father's first 2 years were in Knoxville, & his next 2 were in Murfreesboro. Understandably he felt a strong allegiance to both schools. And as with MidTennMtneer I feel that's fine.
Though MT has tens of thousands of grads in the mid-state area, the sense of loyalty & allegiance to its athletic programs is dwindling year by year. I believe anyone who shows even a modicum of interest in MT athletics is a welcome addition, even if you root for another team as well.
When it comes to our aspirations not meeting the administration's, well there's our shared answer to why interest is always dwindling. Until their's a new administration with higher goals in place, like an old song says....same as it ever was, same as it ever was.
I never understood the "only one school" mentality. My Bachelors is MT, grew up WVU and am seriously considering my Masters there (my desire to do it changes by day). But either way if the two ever played, I'd be 100% MT.

I spent four years in the Boro and still get that excited feeling in the pit of my stomach when I step on campus, which is only every few years.

I really hope the weeknight games this year help with student engagement to build that alumni loyalty. I will say they blew it on the Spring Game, so they better market the freaking crap out of those weeknight games. I mean come non stop push.

As for Memphis, I've said for years and have even told CM, we should play a TN school EVERY YEAR. If it is a FBS, then make our FCS regional. Games like Memphis are ones that will build a fanbase....if we win that is. Sadly I feel Stock treats each game the same which is great on paper, but not in reality.

Reactions: MTFAN61 and ewglenn
Memphis would be a game that hopefully would garner interest. If we look back the past few seasons I think we have to admit the 1st home game usually has a decent turnout. However after game 1 attendance seems to go down game by game after that. If Memphis is a 2nd or 3rd home game it could hopefully prove to reverse that decline.
We go there in '24...they don't come back here until '27. And it's scheduled for 9/25/27, which will likely be the 2nd home game after an FCS opponent and 2 games on the road.

Fan interest goes down after game 1. Pretty sure that coincides with how the team comes out poorly prepared and acts like they're unaware of any game plan, what the other team might do, and what the hell a play clock is.

If they wake up in time for game two or game three, fans have already decided 'here we go again' and find something better to do with their time and money.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT