ADVERTISEMENT

If Memphis gets a Big 12 invite....

I did hear (on Monte's show) that a consultant was paid half a million dollars (?) to tell the Big 12 that having a championship game (along with the requisite membership) would help get a team in the 4 (as for now) team playoff. Should have been obvious!

I had thought the conference movement was going to be stalled for a while but who knows.

As for MT's position, gotta think we would be far down any list. Although, BkB's success last year doesn't hurt nor would the FB team meeting expectations next year. Of course, $$$s are apparently just not available for MT to hope to move up anytime soon, trouble supporting what we have now if I'm reading signs correctly.

The NCAA just changed the rule that you no longer need 12 teams to have a conference championship game now. Don't think movement will happen much right now. Houston would be the top pick in the AAC for the big12. Memphis is a secondary option.

Marshall, USM or LaTech would get the call way before us I think.

BYU, Boise St and Houston are the main targets.

Last edited:
The NCAA just changed the rule that you no longer need 12 teams to have a conference championship game now. Don't think movement will happen much right now. Houston would be the top pick in the AAC for the big12. Memphis is a secondary option.

Marshall, USM or LaTech would get the call way before us I think.

BYU, Boise St and Houston are the main targets.

I disagree. And unlike you, JT my info doesn't come from piecing together multiple messageboard gossip.

I know, I know, you have an inside guy or you run the world with your bond villain like resources. You're telling me that Memphis is more attractive to the Big 12 than BYU, Boise St, Houston or Cincy? Even CBS has Memphis as a 5th option if it happened anyway. Texas is pushing not to expand and has already gotten to 2 conference members. You got Texas like cash? Of course you do.

I wonder if these "candidate" even want an invite. BYU seems to like being an independent and I doubt Florida State would leave the ACC for that mess. The rest of them could probably improve by moving though.

I wonder if these "candidate" even want an invite. BYU seems to like being an independent and I doubt Florida State would leave the ACC for that mess. The rest of them could probably improve by moving though.

I tend to agree with most on this thread. BYU, UCONN, SMU & Houston would be the most logical choices based on program statuses. I think Cincinnati, Boise St., Memphis, USF, UCF, Colorado State, and ECU would be next options.

If BYU likes being an independent and Texas vetos in-state schools, then UCONN and Cincy would seem like the next choices (in part due to proximity to WVU). I guess if those fell through, Memphis would be a strong candiate in the group of choices 6 through 11.

Not saying Memphis couldn't happen, the SEC considered 6 schools to end up with Arkansas and USC in '92, but it seems like the B12 would consider a few other schools before Memphis got an invite.

This is definitely going to happen. BYU, UCF, Houston, Cincy, Memphis. They need to get up to 14 teams. This will be TV market driven. I just don't think it will be BYU. I just don't see the board going for it.It will probably be UCF, Cincinnatti, and Houston. In that order.

UCF and Cincy make the most sense, by far. BYU is too far away and doesn't play sports on Sundays which further complicates the distance issues. Football would be manageable for BYU but think of all the other sports having to make that trip.

UCF is Orlano market which is huge and the university itself is a monster. Also gives the Big12 a recruiting base in Florida. I would think UCF is #1 at this point.

Cincy is a decent market with a decent following and great recent success in football and other sports. Less overall potential, but currently has the best athletic programs amongst the choices.

What exactly does Memphis offer again? Not much more than Middle Tenn St. in my eyes. Take away the FedEx factor and the two school's are indistuingishable.

UCF and Cincy make the most sense, by far. BYU is too far away and doesn't play sports on Sundays which further complicates the distance issues. Football would be manageable for BYU but think of all the other sports having to make that trip.

UCF is Orlano market which is huge and the university itself is a monster. Also gives the Big12 a recruiting base in Florida. I would think UCF is #1 at this point.

Cincy is a decent market with a decent following and great recent success in football and other sports. Less overall potential, but currently has the best athletic programs amongst the choices.

What exactly does Memphis offer again? Not much more than Middle Tenn St. in my eyes. Take away the FedEx factor and the two school's are indistuingishable.

For starters......
2015 Avg. Football attendance
Memphis - 43,802
MTSU - 19,116

http://mtsusidelines.com/2015/10/blue-raider-football-lacks-true-blue-fans/

http://www.commercialappeal.com/spo...e6d-e053-0100007f4a2a-378483626.html?d=mobile

Wylie, I'm hoping Middle is prepared for what's coming. The AAC would be a big step up if M&M can pull it off.

here's what the above linked article said about memphis attendance in regards to it's promotion as a candidate fro big xii expansion:

ATTENDANCE

The report says Memphis averaged 43,802 fans per game last season.

Figures released by the school say the average attendance in 2014 was 33,851; in 2013 it was 28,537; in 2012 it was 24,371.

But according to the Memphis Flyer, actual attendance — figures released by the city, which owns Liberty Bowl stadium — in 2012 averaged 11,197 and in 2011 was 10,386.

So let’s be careful about Memphis football excitement. And the two people responsible for Memphis’ big jump, however big it was, are gone.

The Big 12 doesn't need the Houston market. They already have that wrapped up.

Looks like Texas won't give up the Longhorn network, which will block expansion.

"I still see no willingness on Texas' part to fold the Longhorn Network into a Big 12 network, even if the league gives the Longhorns an extra $15 million share to cover its LHN income, because, the Texas source said, "we would get the same money, but lose our branding and having our own channel? Not very compelling. If we get rid of LHN, it will be to change conferences, in my opinion."

"The thing is, if a report from the Cincinnati Enquirer is accurate, there may be some truth to the stereotype -- with a super majority of eight schools needed to vote in favor of expansion from 10 schools, Texas is pressuring TCU and Texas Tech to withhold votes, leaving the conference one vote short of reaching that necessary 75-percent threshold."

The only reason the Big 12 wants to expand is to bring in more revenue. It just amazes me how greedy things have become in college athletics. I guess it's that way everywhere you look in life, but jesus you would think/hope there would be something more than greed driving every single decision in college athletics. Nowadays, every single decision made is based on one thing, MONEY. "Student-athletes" my ass.

We have the NFL and other professional leagues that are already ruled by money. NCAA athletics are really becoming a turn off and I'm not so sure I would miss them if it all went belly up.

texas and their leghorn network needs to go independent.

Sounds like several people are pushing for that. End up with 4 - 16 team conferences (B10, ACC, SEC, and PAC) plus independent Texas, ND and BYU as the primary feeder programs into the football playoffs (which expands to 8 teams).

B12, after losing Oklahoma, Ok St., and Texas decides to become a regional conference, picking up Houston, SMU, UTEP, Tulsa, and Rice (my friends from Texas Tech prefer this to adding Memphis Cincinnati or Colorado St.).

WVU goes to the AAC. The Big12 and AAC become the strongest non-power conferences.

I just don't see it. It's a for lorn Hail Mary at best. The FedEX pitch isn't new. I heard about this 2 years ago. I think they are a 2nd or 3rd tier option. Dennis Dodd and others seem to agree on this. I admire them for trying but the expansion is a football move and Memphis just doesn't have the resume.

I agree with JT.

UM is essentially trying to whore itself out to the B12 with FedEx being the pimp (not that I blame them). The biggest problem for Memphis is the Texas schools don't want Memphis or Cincinnati in their conference. UT isn't going to give up its Longhorn network until at least 2024 and may look to go independent or look to another conference. I talked with a Texas Tech and Baylor alum at work and neither are big on Memphis or Cincinnati.

Now it looks like there is a low chance of expansion occurring.

And if the B12 does expand, Houston at Texas, BYU at Oklahoma, and even Colorado State at Iowa State sound like B12 conference games. Memphis at Texas, in football, sounds more like a week 1guarantee game.

I agree with JT.....

...And if the B12 does expand, Houston at Texas, BYU at Oklahoma, and even Colorado State at Iowa State sound like B12 conference games. Memphis at Texas, in football, sounds more like a week 1 guarantee game.

like%20bomb_zpsaqvum6bf.jpg

Last edited:
Announcement from Big12 meeting: Championship game to return - no mention of expansion

They don't need to expand to get the championship now. Why do it? Memphis and other AAC fans are wishing on a star for this one.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
They don't need to expand to get the championship now. Why do it? Memphis and other AAC fans are wishing on a star for this one.
I think you're wrong, JT but if Memphis is left out of Big12 expansion, it won't be for lack of trying or guns blazing.
While on the other hand, our AD is spouting CUSA propaganda about the Al-jazeera Network agreement. I hope he has AAC folks on his cell phone speed dial. Less than $3MM total TV revenue this season is a potential program killer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT