ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL How would you feel if this was McDevitt's first year?

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
Here we sit undefeated at home (admittedly not a very challenging OOC home schedule) at 12-6 overall tied for the East lead in the loss column with a team we defeated earlier in the year. Was this unexpected with so many new faces, the transfer of the player considered the best returner, with two expected contributors sidelined with injuries, and after three disastrous years? For sure it's surprising but does McDevitt deserve three mulligans for his first 3 years, the last of which was one of, if not the, worst years in MT basketball history?

Our losses this year, all on the road, are to:

Stephen F. Austin - first road game - worst loss point wise 13; now 12-7
Murray State - Nuff said - Leading the OVC; 17-2
Ole Miss - Next to the bottom of the $EC but still it's $EC - 9-9 overall (interesting that Davis' worse year at Ole Miss apparently will coincide with McDevitt's best, so far, at MT)
Chattanooga - Leading SoCon; 16-4
Rice - First conference game and obviously first road conference contest - lost by 4 - In 4th place in the West at 4-3; 11-7 overall
UNT - Tied for 1st in the West at 6-1; 13-4 overall - Raiders lost by 7

What's most encouraging to me is that this team can win playing either a shoot out or a grinder and even as yesterday when shots aren't falling. If we have no more defections, if the two injured players return healthy, and if the two incoming guards (one verbal, one signee) are as good as advertised we could be very good for the next few years. How we finish this year is obviously up in the air. The upcoming 3 game road trip will give a clue.

As for me - If this was McDevitt's first year I would have been very pleased with the hire and with where we are at this juncture of the season. I would like to have thought that he had the ability to continue the program's status obtained during Davis' last years. Time will tell.

I would 100% be satisfied as first year.

What worries me is CM. I don't want another extension because of this good year. Do it again (and better) next year, and we can talk.

I feel better but still could see the mirror side of the schedule be more difficult. And an early conference tourney exit. Could go either way. We are better but have a log way to go.

When Nick took over, to say that cupboard was bare would be an understatement. To his credit, I think he has done a good job of seeing what the new normal of college basketball is becoming. He is only recruiting players that can help the team now and he is giving everyone an opportunity to contribute. I think he is working hard to create a culture that players want to be a part of. As much as I like and respect our former coach, I sense that all our team is engaged and really like to play for him. Time will tell if this will win championships, but I think that his approach is the right direction if you want to keep players and grow a program In 2022.

Exactly! Between graduating seniors and commits bailing, he had nothing that first year. Would have liked to see this improvement last year, but he had zero chance for success his first 2 years. I've gone to the last 3 men's games after not going at all the last few years. This team plays hard and is a lot of fun to watch.

Let's see what happens in the next 3 games. If we win all of them, we can talk about how well we are doing.

Let's see what happens in the next 3 games. If we win all of them, we can talk about how well we are doing.
That is quite the task considering who we are playing and them being on the road. I would be satisfied with 2-1. Should beat Marshall and WKU is not as good as people thought, but beating UAB on the road would be very impressive.

I'll be surprised if we can get 1 game. This team is notoriously bad on the road, and we've shot terribly our last few games from 3.

Reactions: ewglenn
I'd be pleased if these were the results from year one, but it's year 4. I'm still not convinced yet this year isn't a fluke.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I'd be pleased if these were the results from year one, but it's year 4. I'm still not convinced yet this year isn't a fluke.
I don't think it is a fluke. This is his most complete team so far and he is still missing the best player and a starter/key contributor. I am not sure if he will ever have the level of success that we saw with Kermit, but I do not think we will see what we have the previous 3 seasons. I think he will hover around 20 wins at least.

I am not sure if he will ever have the level of success that we saw with Kermit, but I do not think we will see what we have the previous 3 seasons.
Which is why I think we don't need to renew him and look elsewhere. We've got to aspire to get back to and exceed what we did with Kermit did. Of course this admin would settle for 20 wins and a NIT or lesser tournament invite every year.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Which is why I think we don't need to renew him and look elsewhere. We've got to aspire to get back to and exceed what we did with Kermit did. Of course this admin would settle for 20 wins and a NIT or lesser tournament invite every year.
That is mostly what we got from Kermit. 3 NCAA tournaments in like 17 seasons. Look elsewhere all you want, but very few coaches will be able to make the NCAA tournament every year at our level. We would pretty much have to win the CUSA tournament every season to make the NCAA tournament. It would take a rare year for the committee to put two CUSA teams in. 20+ wins and making NIT/NCAA tourney most seasons is what is reasonable to expect. I obviously would love to see us at the level of Gonzaga, and I think that is what we should strive for. I just don't see us being able to afford keeping a coach here that wins at that level.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
Well, it's about February. If he wants it, it's at least there to take. We couldn't say that last year or since 2017-18. The next 3 games will tell the story. Our D is much improved. The jack a 3 offense still needs to be tempered but this team is night day over the last 3 seasons. We need a big power forward IMO. But I like that we are at least playing. Murray state is a great team and we stayed with them even though they had the better players.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
Well, it's about February. If he wants it, it's at least there to take. We couldn't say that last year or since 2017-18. The next 3 games will tell the story. Our D is much improved. The jack a 3 offense still needs to be tempered but this team is night day over the last 3 seasons. We need a big power forward IMO. But I like that we are at least playing. Murray state is a great team and we stayed with them even though they had the better players.
Just imagine if we did have Jalen Jordan and Coleman-Jones healthy. I think any chance of going “big” with the lineup left when Coleman-Jones got hurt and Turner disappeared.

It's totally ours foe the taking. A down WKU will be a big win...it's WKU. But UAB will be a huge test. Leading the West and on the road.

If this was year one, I would be ecstatic. If this was in year 2 or 3 instead of what we got, I would not think CNM should be gone now.

However, I still think he should have been fired after year 3 and I think most D1 ADs would have pulled that trigger. But we got M&M, so CNM is still here. This kind of performance is the least he should be giving us after the atrocious first 3 years. Honestly, we should expect a coach to produce a team that ends the season at or near the top of our division at least a few times in a rolling 5 year tenure and we should expect a NCAA/NIT quality team (meaning winning the conference) at least once every 5 years.

I hope CNM can maintain and his teams keep improving.

Most universities would be happy if a MBB coach was giving them 20+ wins per year.
That's true. I was a bit hasty in firing that one off towards the end of my dinner break at work and not fully thinking what through what I was typing.

• Haha
Reactions: ewglenn
Expected or at least hoped for something .500 or over first year. By his 2nd year, this is more in line with what I expected.

He finally has the team showing signs of life. Dang, in his 4th season?! Yea, where has this been all along? Don't get me wrong, it's good to at least see the team taking forward steps & improving.

There is still much to improve upon. I'm not convinced they are ready for the conference title, but at least they have avoided being eliminated from finishing at the top of the conference thus far. That's an improvement.

Glad to see the team cut down on the horrible 3 pt shot selection. They still do a few too many, but it's improvement. They show promise when they attack the basket. Interior defense lags behind their fairly decent perimeter defense. I'd still like to see some more toughness and discipline overall.

If they can step up for a big rivalry road game today, it could be telling about possibilities for Feb.

Overall glad to see the improvement. If they can finish strong this season, it will likely shut down my calls for his firing this year. Short of an NCAA appearance, I still don't want to see an extension. Improvement this season buys an opportunity to see if he can further improve next season.

Early in the season, I was highly critical regarding any improvements. In my defense, my sample was the SF Austin game which turned out to be a horrible sample selection. It's likely their worst game of the season thus far. Now that they are showing signs of life in the heart of the conference schedule, it is hard to deny that the the team is improving this season.

Does McDevitt recruit mercenaries with 1-2 years of experience with a year or two years remaining? Like a Nick King type?

Resounding yes.

I cant believe Im asking this, but is there any threat someone hires him away?
I don’t think so. I would think potential schools that will hire him away will want to see one more year of this. If I were an AD that’s what I would do.

I wouldn't think so. Isn't he the highest paid coach in C-USA? If not, almost certain he is one of the highest. In my opinion, that eliminates a lateral move. Power 5 schools, along with the AAC, aren't going to hire someone with a losing record.

Resounding yes.

not a chance. He is a top 5 paid G5 coach so the only school hiring him away would be a power 5, and with all due respect they will have better options. Nick still has a lot to prove here in murfreesboro before he’s even considered for a power 5 job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT