ADVERTISEMENT

Has our defense changed?

RandallThomason

Blue Raider Legend
Jan 1, 2005
I have not been able to see every minute of every game this season like I have in past seasons and this past homestand was the first time I have been able to watch back-to-back games all year (watched UALR on ESPN3 and was at the ULL game).

Have we gone away from the 1-3-1 defense? I don't remember seeing it in any of the past two games and IIRC when we have gone to some kind of zone recently it has been to protect against foul trouble. The 1-3-1 was a staple in every game last year for at least 10 or 15 possessions and it was earlier this year also. Have there been any public comments about it from CKD that I missed? I wonder if he doesn't think it's as effective this year or if it maybe depends on the fact that the most effective point man in it was J.T. Sulton and until the last game or two his minutes had been reduced this year.

I really had nothing to do yesterday so I went and watched the team practice. For a little while the guys were running a 1-2-2 defensive set. Thought that was interesting....

Haven't had much reason to run the 1-3-1 lately. If we need to up the tempo and pressure the other team I think you will see it again. No need to show your hand when your man to man defense is leading to 32 point and 22 point victories.

Originally posted by MT Blue:

Haven't had much reason to run the 1-3-1 lately. If we need to up the tempo and pressure the other team I think you will see it again. No need to show your hand when your man to man defense is leading to 32 point and 22 point victories.
The man-to-man has been exceptional the last several games, you are right about that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT