ADVERTISEMENT

Got my updated health insurance premiums today

RandallThomason

Blue Raider Legend
Jan 1, 2005
Memo went out today in the office. Premiums will rise 30% from last year.

At some point, this madness has to stop.

This is all a part of the plan...the irony that all of us are paying more yet there are still 30 million not insured.

Originally posted by RandallThomason:

But, but, I thought THIS was supposed to happen:

"I will sign a universal health care bill into law by the end of my first term as president that will cover every American and cut the cost of a typical family's premium by up to $2,500 a year."

--Barack Hussein Obama

BTW, I'll bet your coverage and choice of doctor's/providers is less too, am I correct on that?

Originally posted by bigbadjohn45:
Originally posted by RandallThomason:

But, but, I thought THIS was supposed to happen:

"I will sign a universal health care bill into law by the end of my first term as president that will cover every American and cut the cost of a typical family's premium by up to $2,500 a year."

--Barack Hussein Obama

BTW, I'll bet your coverage and choice of doctor's/providers is less too, am I correct on that?
Fortunately, I have so far not run into a situation where we could not access a doctor or provider that we needed, but I certainly fear that being on the horizon as I know other people have had that problem. But another year or 2 of rate increases like what we are seeing will be completely unaffordable for my family. This coming year, monthly insurance premiums will be just about equal to the principal and interest payments on my house, which is just absurd.

I have noticed not just premium rising but a lot more out of pocket cash. And while I have access to any doctor, if they are out of network, the out of pocked cash is even greater. Thirdly, many doctors are choosing not to file insurance claims.

Mo money, less choice, more cash out of pocket. Going to be interesting what happens in the coming years.

Randall/Mike,

Do either of you think the Republicans will win back the Senate in November? If so, how much of a difference would it make?

Also, what are the Republican's chances of winning back the White House in 2016?

Frankly, unless these two events happen (along with maintaining control of the House), we're still in a huge mess....
This post was edited on 8/15 9:31 AM by bigbadjohn45

I think its 50/50 regarding the senate...as far as the White House, I just don't know. Our nations problems will not be solved by just one party - its going to take all of them.

There are many bubbles in the world right now - who knows is they will burst prior to 2016. Basically central banks around the world are going way beyond their charters. There are a lot of hot spots - Russia, the Middle East. China is quiet for now. The gap between the US and Israel - its all crazy.

I think the one thing that is scary is we are pulling back, both in real terms and in general attitude. As a people, we stick our heads in the sand and want "others" to pay for our stuff. We want cheap energy, but don't want the infrastructure in our own town. I look at all our challenges, there are NO national policies that we are striving towards that fix anything - I will start with POTUS, he has time to hold summits on head injuries for football players or are focused on the definition of marriage but cannot meet with Congress to redesign SSI and Medicare or come up with a national energy policy. In other words, he and others play small ball all the time and demonize the other side - Republicans do the same.

My personal belief is it really doesn't matter, the American people are not united and not really interested in fixing a whole lot of structural problems we face. Maybe the "right" leader can get them focused, not sure.

Hear me now, believe me later. We're all going to eventually be covered by a one-size-fits-all Medicare-like system. I think this will happen within next 10 years.

Most doctors do NOT like Medicare because they lose money on Medicare patients. This is why we're seeing more and more doctors refusing to accept new Medicare patients. Many are opting out of Medicare completely and/or choosing to balance-bill. More and more pharmacies are opting out of Medicare Part D. The reimbursement rates are too low.

Here's what we're going to see:
1. Doctors will be retiring early. En masse.
2. We're going to have a two-tier healthcare system the same way we have a two-tier education system. The Americans who are pulling the wagon will be taxed to pay for the public healthcare system whether or not they use it. Those working Americans who can afford it will use the private healthcare system. Healthcare will work just like education. Those who can afford it will join the private system while still being forced to pay for the public system.

Remember, Medicare doesn't pay for everything. I speak daily with Medicare-covered individuals whose estates are decimated by the 20% coinsurance responsibility on which there is no OOP cap. They do things like take out reverse mortgages or new mortgages just to pay their medical bills, leaving them little to no legacy to pass on to their kids and grandkids.

Originally posted by Blueraider_Mike:
I think its 50/50 regarding the senate...as far as the White House, I just don't know. Our nations problems will not be solved by just one party - its going to take all of them.

There are many bubbles in the world right now - who knows is they will burst prior to 2016. Basically central banks around the world are going way beyond their charters. There are a lot of hot spots - Russia, the Middle East. China is quiet for now. The gap between the US and Israel - its all crazy.

I think the one thing that is scary is we are pulling back, both in real terms and in general attitude. As a people, we stick our heads in the sand and want "others" to pay for our stuff. We want cheap energy, but don't want the infrastructure in our own town. I look at all our challenges, there are NO national policies that we are striving towards that fix anything - I will start with POTUS, he has time to hold summits on head injuries for football players or are focused on the definition of marriage but cannot meet with Congress to redesign SSI and Medicare or come up with a national energy policy. In other words, he and others play small ball all the time and demonize the other side - Republicans do the same.

My personal belief is it really doesn't matter, the American people are not united and not really interested in fixing a whole lot of structural problems we face. Maybe the "right" leader can get them focused, not sure.
I think our chances are probably slightly better than 50/50 on recapturing the Senate, but I wouldn't place any bets on it. Regarding recapturing the White House, we can forget that as that ship has sailed. Hillary Clinton will be our next President. Book it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT